It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

elka12 HB User
Question what's the difference?

does anyone know the differences between lorazepam and clonazepam? my doctor had prescribed me lorazepam to take when/while i was having a panic attack. but now she has prescribed me clonazepam to take daily. i was just wondering if these were pretty much the same kind of meds since the sound alike. and if so why would she switch to clonazepam. i would ask my doc. these sorts of questions but she is only in her office one day a week and it's like an hour away. so, just wonderin'....if anyone happens to know.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
(female)

Catt18 HB User
Re: what's the difference?

I think lorazapam may be stronger? I'm not sure and would be interested to know the difference between the two drugs... My doctor had me on clenazopam first and then out of no where switched me to lorazapam?? Have nooo idea why, i asked the pharmacist briefly when i got it filled, because i looked in the bottle and instead of my round pink or yellow clenaz i had tiny tiny tiny round loraz... So i don't know.. I didn't really mention it to my doctor either just because it hasn't really come up. I think i like the clenaz more though...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

both are valium type meds and therefore similar, to compare strengths, type
benzo equivalency chart into a search engine and wotk it out

Old 05-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Lorazepam (Ativan) and clonazepam (Klonopin) are both benzodiazepines, a type of anti-anxiety medication that works as a tranquilizer by increasing levels of GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) in the brain. Klonopin is most often used for more severe cases of anxiety, that and Xanax. I've been on both Ativan and Klonopin. Ativan didn't do a damn thing for me, but Klonopin has been an absolute Godsend! I went to the dentist today, which is when I get my absolute worst panic attacks, and this was the first time in my 18 years that I was relaxed in the dentist chair. I took three 0.5 Klonopins today (I've never taken more than one- tells you how bad the dentist is... ), and I was so out-of-it and serene that it was quickly over. I came right home and took a nap, both out of the extreme stress I'd been through and the sedation of the Klonopin. I didn't go to the dentist until 2 pm, so when I got up- with a panic attack- I took a Klonopin. I was REALLY bad, and then the Klonopin kicked in until around noon; took another one. Then I took one right before 2. Usually one Klonopin can last me the whole day, but the dentist is horrible, but no cavities, my biggest phobia! Almost 19 -years-old, and I'm still cavity-free, thank God!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread