It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User
sugar, anxiety?

before all this anxiety bs.. i used to eat sugar no problem.. today i ate 2 pies probably with a lot of sugar and i feel like my heart is racing constanty.. why am i so sensitive to sugar..?? this sucks

Old 05-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
(male)

van7771 HB User
Re: sugar, anxiety?

I hear you man, l have the same problem, friday l ate some jelly bean and thought l was going to die. I think there is a relationship between hypoglysemia and Anxiety. I wish l knew how to better manage this whole thing but l myself and still searching for the answers.

VAN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

in regards to hypoglycemia and anxiety i think its to do with the hormone cortisol. when you consume too much REFINED sugar in one this causes a sharp rise in blood sugar levels. the body reads this as a danger and so releases a large amount of insulin to bring blood sugar levels back to where they should be. however, the body is too good at doing this; in such an instance the dangerously high blood sugar level causes too much insulin to be released and instead of blood sugar levels returning to a normal range they fall now TOO LOW, this has a knock on effect of lowering serotonin levels (significant as serotonin is implicated along with GABA in anxiety). this leads to another emergency response through a response by the adrenal glands which release the stress hormone cortisol to bring blood sugar level back to where they should be. cortisol is responsible for the mobilisation of stored glycogen in the liver, which is converted into blood glucose. it is the rush of cortisol that causes the increase in heart rate. anxiouys people typically have abnormally high lvels of corticol to stat with so self inducing a rise in cortisol levels is not a good idea. you can see how everything is yo-yoing here.
if you have any psychiatric problems avoid refined foods like the plague. they will play havoc with your blood sugar levels. they are also void of the B vitamins and the mineral magnesium which are vital for nervous system health. they will casue high and then lows in mood and energy and calmness. replace them with low GI complex carbs which keep blood sugar levels stable and facilitate the sustained release of serotonin and give sustained energy.

alex.

Last edited by thedeadrat83; 05-21-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User

thanks guys.. do u have any suggestions on the best foods to elminate anxiety? thank u

Old 05-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

basically anything thats rich in B vitamins and magnesium. base your diet around complex low GI carbs with moderate amounts of lean protein (white meat and fish are best, eg. turkey has twice as much L-typtophan/ 100grams, which is the precursor to serotonin, than beef) and lots of essential fats (nuts, seeds, avacados, cold poressed veg oils, oily fish). this will help increase GABA and serotonin levels in the brain. avoid too much protein as this tends to have more of a stimulating effect on brain chemistry, not what an anxious person needs! number one i'd say though are oats. oats have been used for centuries to help with cravings and still today you can buy oats in supplement form to counteract nicotine withdrawal. they have a very calming and soothing effect on the nerves and mood and help with depression and anxiety. other good bets are brown rice, whole wheat, rye bread, barley in stews and soups, pulses. also, enough fresh fruit and veg to povide vitamin C. (vitamin C, magnesium and the B-complex are the main nutrient co-factors needed for serotonin release and utilisation in the brain). in my experience a mostly vegetarian with complementing vegetable proteins diet with small amounts of lean meat seems to work best for me.

alex.

Last edited by thedeadrat83; 05-22-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Closed Thread