It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
(male)

SoccerDad HB User
Fluttering in Chest with Anxiety

Does this happen to anyone?

I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder about six months ago. I had a real bad 2 or 3 weeks when it first started, but it hadn't been too bad until about a few weeks ago when it started up again (not as intense). Since then I've had a number of episodes of anxiety (not really full-blown panic attacks) with a fluttering sensation in my chest. I've had this before. In December I had EKG's, a 24-hour Holter monitor, a treadmill stress test, chest x-rays, and a lot of blood work, all of which showed no problems with my heart or thyroid. I know that the anxiety itself can cause the palpitations, but it is unnerving when it happens (especially because the anxiety brings out some negative self-talk).

I'd really appreciate anyone's feedback. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User
Re: Fluttering in Chest with Anxiety

Oh yes, the heart fluttering is just another one of the wonderful effects of anxiety. I too, in the last 18 yrs. have gone all through test after test and still continue to deal with the fluttering, dizziness, chest, neck, head pain, blurred vision to just mention a few. It is so hard to continue to convince yourself there isn't something medically wrong with all the REAL pains/aches this disease causes. Wishing you the best and keep talking to people that ARE/HAVE gone through this, it is very encouraging to just be able to talk about it . God Bless !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
(male)

SoccerDad HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. I know intellectually that all the weird symptoms that come along from time to time are caused by my anxiety and that I'm not in any physical danger, but sometimes when it's happening, I lose that perspective and start worrying about the same remote possibilities all over again. I understand that anxiety is a normal physical process (happening at the wrong time), but it certainly has a way of getting into your head and steering your thinking in a negative direction.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

What you are saying is the WORST part of anxiety, when you have an attack it can/will take control of your mind and thinking which escalates the worry that you are having a heart attack, stroke , etc. As hard as I continue to tell myself that I WILL get through it, it takes a toll on you mentally and physically. No everyone truly understands what you go through to deal with anxiety unless they have gone through it themselves. Just nice talking to people that do understand..

Old 06-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the fluttering is probably palps which are common from anxiety and always made worse by monitoring and worrying about them
a beta blocker med such as inderal, taken as needed helps and should have been prescribed
panic attacks, although unpleasant cant hurt you and shouldnt be feared

Old 06-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
(male)

SoccerDad HB User

I take 50 mg of Lopressor (Metoprolol) twice a day for high blood pressure. I believe it is a beta blocker, right? I think it has helped keep my heart rate in check since I've been taking it. Does this sound like a low dose? Should I ask my doctor about taking more?

Old 06-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I would ask, yes its a beta blocker

Closed Thread