It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Does anyone know what Xanax withdrawal feels like, and how soon it happens?

(I posted this on the drug interaction board, and they suggested I come here, so I hope you don't mind)

Just wondering about this. I've taken a very low dose for about 10 months every single day. (My doctor is totally aware of this).

How soon would withdrawal symptoms begin? And - what do they feel like?

I ask because there were a couple of nights where I went out with friends, and knew I'd be having cocktails, so I didn't take any Xanax that entire day or night. The next morning, I had the shakes, chills, heart pounding, dizziness, nausea - it was UNREAL. It wasn't a regular 'hangover' either.
Sure enough - later in the day I took some Xanax & eventually felt better.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
(female)

karenmackenzie HB User
Re: Does anyone know what Xanax withdrawal feels like, and how soon it happens?

Ten months daily is more than enough time for your body to become dependent on xanax. It has a fairly short half-life so that you are probably experiencing withdrawal symptoms later the same day.

If you want to get off it, do not add alcohol even if you skip the xanax. They are cross-tolerant and you will end up shakier. Withdrawal from xanax should be done very very slowly, breaking a tablet in half or smaller and staying at the reduced dose for a couple weeks before trying to reduce more.

Since your doctor is aware of your taking it (I assume he/she prescribed it?), then I would ask for the .25mg. smallest doseage and start cutting that. Your doctor should help you to reduce it although most physicians try to go too fast. They know how to hand out the drug but know very little about tapering off. Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Ariesladi25 HB User

Hello there zosolizard,

I myself, used to be on xanax for about 3 years off an on.. my longest steady treatmet was for 5 months straight... i was taking .50 2 times a day... problem is i became addicted to them and was taking like 3 at a time, so needless to say i ran out of my meds sooner and could not get my refill, so for a week i would have no xanax, and i was very sick untill i was able to refill it... i would get very irritable, and couldnt sleep.. i eventually talked to my dr and she tappered me off for 3 months... i guess a major side effect of stopping xanax too quickly is seizures... thats why you must tapper off....

I really cant give much advice except to talk to your dr and try to get them to help tapper off...

Hope all is well.....
take care amc23

Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Thank you both so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

I've already got the smallest dosage (.25) pills - so I will work to taper down very slowly, and will be sure to keep my doctor posted.

The good thing is - I made sure I never went above 2 tablets per day this entire time - even though doc said I can take up to 6 per day.

Thanks again so much!

Old 06-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
(female)

CocoaLover HB User
Exclamation Re: Does anyone know what Xanax withdrawal feels like, and how soon it happens?

Hi there,

Xanax is evil, IMO - I'm so glad for you that you were on a small dose and are tapering off carefully. To answer your question about withdrawal symptoms, I can tell you it feels like hell. I was unwisely put on 5mg a day of it, then got pregnant sooner than planned, and I was advised to go off 5mg in a week and a half. And it was hell - I will never take that medication as long as I live If you go off it too fast you feel hypersensitive to any noise, you have a horrible headache, chills, vomiting, racing heart, fear and paranoia - and extreme restlessness, I had to walk outside every 10 minutes . . . and this went on for 4 Weeks.

Sorry to vent on your post - it sounds like you have a good plan in place, and you shouldn't have to deal with much of those aweful side effects.

Take care,

CL

Last edited by CocoaLover; 06-21-2006 at 11:50 PM.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
(female)

jzzlvr13 HB User

I've taken either one or two mg of xanax each morning for about a year for anxiety. If I miss a day by miraculously feeling relaxed when I wake up, I have no problem no taking the xanax. I guess I should consider myself lucky. I don't have much trouble coming off meds, or mixing them for that matter. Of course, I have had to take a ton over the years, mostly for pain. Everyone is different, but not everyone has a horrible experience coming off of benzos. I stopped valium cold a few years ago with no problem at all.
Good luck,
Barbara

Closed Thread