It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User
Look Up Autonomic Disorders:(

I Have Been Suggessted By A Few Differnt People That I May Have An Autonomic Disorder That Causes Alot Of Anxiety Symptoms Such As Fast Heart Rates Up And Down Changes/spiking And Lowering In Blood Pressure/breathing Trouble Headaches Chest Pains And Most Of All Lightheadness Nausea The Works Because It Affects The Whole System That Controls All Those Things It Can Also Cause Anxiety.... I Belive Jonny Cash Had It Or Some Type Of It .......now Im Convinced I Might Have Thatit Would Explain All My Troubles Even The Low Temps Off And On Because The Autonomic System Controls That Too.... Who Knows Not I Figures Id Be The One To Get Some Wierd Rare Disorder I Have Horrible Luck My Entire Life///maybe Im Wrong Maybe It Is Anxiety Disorder But I Have Alot Of Wierd Symptoms That Even You Cant Explain Having Anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Look Up Autonomic Disorders:(

Why not just bring this up to your doctor? Try not not to diagnose yourself,I know its hard not to do and worry.I can tell you anxiety can cause just about any symptom.Years ago it was detroying my life too I never did anything wouldnt even leave the house.I felt sick 24/7 KNEW I had a brain tumor even had most of the early symptoms.Over the years id feel better sometimes go on with life and then anxiety would pop back again and here I went again same ole deal with a new disease I just knew I had before even being checked out.Its a real pain in the you know what.Like I said I would just mention this to the doctor.You have to take what people on the net type with a grain of salt.These are not doctors besides even if we were all doctors its awfully difficult to diagnose someone over the internet.For what its worth I wouldnt be surprised in the least if this is all anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Not to burst your bubble, but even if you do have a disorder of autonomic dysfunction, it is very hard to get a diagnosis, but heck, you probably knew that anyway. You almost always have to go to a research center such as The Cleveland Clinic or Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN (they have a dysautonomia dept.). That's AFTER a local, primary care doc has done lots of tests and decided to refer you there. Those places don't take self-referrals. That said, I understand what you mean. Some panic/anxiety symptoms DO indeed seem to be a form of dysautonomia. One doctor suggested to me that I may have POTS, a form of dysautonomia, because I have a very rapid heartrate upon standing. My cardiologist said nope, I just have a 30 year old heart that is doing what it is supposed to, so I haven't pursued it because there is really only one form of dysautonomia (pure systemic failure, something like that) that will really harm you, and you'd definitely know if you had that because your body just wouldn't work! I do, however, feel that people with a diagnosis of anxiety/panic MAY have something physical going on. Nothing dangerous, but certainly enough to make us uncomfortable. I think as research continues, it will eventually be found that many of us are very sensitive to adrenaline or other chemicals in our bodies and I think we'll be treated with more specific medications and we won't be classified as having a "strictly" psychological disorder. That's just my two cents, REMOVED I've been anxious pretty much all my life. If you do truly think you have a form of dysautonomia I would just mention it to your doc, as tnmom mentioned. Take care.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-10-2006 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules and all of the "Sticky" post at the top of this board as to why your post was edited. Ms_Mod

Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User

Hey Nikki, trust me i thought i had dysautonomia and even almost made a appt to a clinic.. i realized though it was all in my head..anxiety messes up YOUR adrenal glands and it causes YOUto feel all those wack symptoms.. from being sick to thinking YOU have tumors etc.. so many times i think my heart is gonna stop or im gonna go into seizure .. i remember when i was sleeping and i literally thought i was gonna go into seizure because my whole body shook ... anyway, if YOU checked with a doc and they said YOUwere cool then just trust them.. try to relax and not stress, thats the only way YOU can heal yourself.. reading up on things stresses YOURbrain and causes more anxiety .. im havin a hard time but i know what YOUR going through... hope YOUfeel better... =) bye

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-10-2006 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Use proper words. Ms_Mod

Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #5

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User

Always use the PROPER word in your responses.
This is not a chat room and you're not writing a text message.

People of all ages use this board from teens to people in their retirement years.

Not everyone understands the text message, chat room lingo that some posters use.
In fact I've been contacted countless times by members telling me that they simply stopped reading a post because they could not make sense of it.

Please be courtious to ALL members and take the extra one or two seconds and type out the proper word.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Ms_Mod

Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

this is why i think i have it when i am laying down say my blood pressure is 113/76 heart rate85 when i get up itll change to like 100/85 heart rate shoots up too and im always ligtheaded and feel like passing out sometimes my heart rate will go from like 65 to 95 just sitting up thats not normal blood pressure goes up and down too much i think those seizure symptoms go with it to like i stop breathing and almost pass out probablythen i gasp for air and it comes back i am tired but i dont sleep right either my head spins laying there i get nausea headaches too and always repeat always lightheaded why did you think you had it what were your symptoms did you have wierd changes in heart rate and blood pressure

Old 07-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

One doc I went to thought I MAY have an anutonomic disorder because I have a history of rapid heart rate. It is a normal rhythm, it is just fast. It is worse when I stand, sometimes it is brought on by just standing or doing VERY mild exertion like brushing my hair! Sometimes I feel faint standing, too, so it is important to stand very slowly, yes, that makes you look sort of elderly sometimes, but it helps your body adjust to being upright. The cardiologists who looked at my EKGs and things don't feel that any further testing is warranted right now, they think I just have a sensitive heart that beats fast sometimes (I also get "skippy" heartbeats). I do take a beta-blocker for the rapid heart rate. The thing with the autonomic disorders is that almost all the symptoms can be caused by anxiety, other health issues, or they can be normal. For example, the change in your blood pressure is rather mild. Our blood pressure and pulse are dynamic, they are supposed to change when we move so that they can keep our bodies going. A jump of at least 30 beats from sitting to standing MAY indicate an orthostatic problem, but most "dysautonomics" report much more severe changes. Orthostatic changes are not necessarily from dysautonomia, though. It can be from dehydration, which is VERY common, or from an illness, or a lot of other things, and again, the bp and pulse are supposed to change somewhat. I understand your concern, though, and I still kind of wonder if maybe I have the POTS form of dysautonomia because of my tachycardia, plus the fact that even though I'm in good physical condition, I get very tired standing, I get spells of blurry vision, and other similar symptoms. The thing is, though, dysautonomia won't kill you, and the treatments for people with our types of symptoms are medications that can cause awful side effects and some simple lifestyle changes. I make it a point to drink plenty of water and get lots of electrolytes from drinks like Gatorade. That always makes me feel better. I find that I don't get that feeling like I'm about to pass out upon standing when I stay hydrated. You can read up on the dysautonomia websites about the lifestyle changes. It wouldn't hurt to do some of those, but remember not to diagnose yourself! And again, even if you and I both have dysautonomia, it would be a long road to even getting a diagnosis (if we EVER did) unless we had symptoms such as truly passing out, and even that would likely have to happen more than once.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

ya sometimes my blood pressure drops alot and goes up alot and almost always does that heart thing i am so scared of what i have i know its not aniety alone i cant even function i alwyas feeling like passing out and dizzy im reallt tired and i somtiems cant sleep at night due to all the symptoms axiety isnt this severve with the symptoms to my extremes not alone anyway there has got to be something else with this and i do think it has to do with the head and heart maybe spinal theres just too many things happening to me for it to just be anixety and there constant with no relief mine be dead

Old 07-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi again Niki. I thought I had dysautonomia a while back. My cardiologist even thought it was a possibility. I had a tilt table test and everything came out normal. He still tells me to drink gatorade and eat salt (salt is definitely not the answer for everyone since it can cause other problems). I am on bisoprolol for my sinus tachycardia and that helps with the high heart rates most of the time. If you see a cardiologist, ask him/her to send you for a tilt table test. However, it isn't the most pleasant experience. Even though mine came out OK, I was miserable the whole time. It doesn't hurt or anything, it was just very unpleasant being strapped to a table feeling like I was going to pass out.

You sound a lot like I did a year or so ago. It does get better. I guess I have just learned to live with all of this stuff and tolerate it a little better now.

Take care!

Old 07-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

leela yes we have similarities i see lol you always seem to understand what i am saying....i dont belive i just have panic /anixiety at all in fact id bet my life on it hard thought to get people to listen to me at age 22 they think i should be fine and healthy so they dont look into it enough i dont think...the only reason im going to layhee clinic is becasue my dad called the doctor and got him to refer me a couple of my symptoms cant be explained by dam anxiety even thought the docs like to blame everything on it even they cant with some of my symptoms like that blood sugar thing and the numb arm at first and that seizure type symptom ive described before no expalnation i get panicky because my body is off whack i think the basic blood work isnt showing my problem so they think im nuts the ekgs have been ok but they havent done a tilt test or a stres test probably becasue of my age or an mri and it pisses me off i got hit int he head with a bottle in nov and had a concussion would it be so crazy to think it caused damage gee they think so i dont/ i mean just because there was no bleeding in my head then doesnt mean theres nothing wrong npw i could have an anuerism or it couldve effected my putitary gland causing allt he other glands to malfunction i got hit right in front of my puititary gland but ya its anxiety according to the new bedford fools where im from/if i dont worry about my health they sure wont do crap so ive got to do something thank god for my dad random chest pains in the middle of the night heart palps in the middle of night in sleep! not anxious/ maybe its my time to die and thats why there not figuring it out i know i sound nuts but im convinced i have a physical issure here

Old 07-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Niki. It is NOT your time to die! I agree with you, though, that there is something physical going on. But don't dismiss anxiety entirely - you probably have anxiety BECAUSE of the fact that these idiot doctors out there can't (or won't try to) figure out what is wrong with you. I don't believe that all of my issues are CAUSED by anxiety, but I know I have developed anxiety because of all of this. These doctors are absolutely ridiculous. Just because they can't figure out what is going on, they just tell people they have anxiety. I am pretty sure that anxiety doesn't cause constant lightheadedness. I know that it can cause lightheadedness if you are hyperventilating, but I know I don't hyperventilate every time I am sitting down. I feel for you, I really do.

You really should get a brain and a c-spine MRI. If for nothing else, to ease your mind. You got hit on the head - I think that would be grounds for an MRI. My doctor tried sending me for another c-spine MRI a few months ago and my stupid insurance won't cover it. So don't be surprised if that happens. I guess now the insurance companies get to decide what medical treatment we need, even though the people making those decisions have never met us and have no idea of our health issues. It is really getting bad.

Are you seeing a cardiologist? Hopefully you will be able to see one at that clinic you're going to. If you have to "stretch the truth" in order for them to do a test, do so. Luckily, my cardiologist is GREAT and he has run all of the heart tests on me. My heart ALWAYS races - not just when I am having a panic attack or on my bad anxiety days. The beta blockers I am on really help that.

I am actually on my way to my PCP this morning. I have a blood clotting disorder and I have been having numbness and pain in my leg. So, of course my mind automatically tells me it is a blood clot. I actually have degenerative disease in my spine, so it is probably related to that. Better safe than sorry, right? I'm sure my doctor thinks I am a total nutcase, but I just don't care anymore. They get paid for me to come in there so they shouldn't care how many times I come in. I just get sick of the way I get treated by doctors. I'm sure you can really relate to that.

I hope you start to feel better. Do something nice for yourself. Go get a massage or something. Believe me, that will help more than you know! Take care and keep in touch!

LeeAnn

Closed Thread