It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #1

arbegla HB User
what's the most powerful benzo...

I am looking for a benzo that will really lower my anxiety. Tried ativan and klonopin. Klonopin does it's job well, ativan also, but ativan is shorter acting. Can anyone recommend a long acting strong anti-anxiety other than klonopin

Thanks

Old 08-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
(male)

JaretPob HB User
Re: what's the most powerful benzo...

i think there is a xanax extended release

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Valium has a longer half life because it is highly fat soluble.

Klonopin mg for mg is twice as strong as Xanax - Xanax mg for mg is twice as strong as Ativan.

.25mg Klonopin=.5mg Xanax
.5mg Xanax=1mg Ativan
1mg Ativan=.25mg Klonopin.
.5mg Xanax=5mg Valium

Old 08-03-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

when i am really anxious i start to take a klonopin in the morning and one at night. usually takes about 2 weeks to get me calm. then i start to feel tired in the morning so i cut back to the one at night. after a few weeks i can even stop that one. i find that you have to keep a level in your body until you are passed that bad stage. while i'm taking the 2 a day i have alot of long talks with myself to get a grip on what's causing the horrible anxiety. that seems to help also.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #5

arbegla HB User
thanks for help

Thank You

Well I've already have been on Klonopin numerous times, and looks like that's the best out there. Valium has a longer half life from what you posted, but is valium a good anti-anxiety drug to take. I hear alot people taking Xanax..My Dr. has never prescribed me Xanax. He told me it has a very short half life, but it's suppose to be strong apparently. Klonopin wafers are quick and long lasting, so I'll go back to that I guess. Anyone taken valium, and any good/bad experiences.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
(male)

shane24 HB User

Actually the most powerful Benzodiazepine would be a drug call Versed, Midazolam, it is used in hospitals in procedures which sedation is needed, it is also the shortest acting benzo, that's why doctors like them, so your back on your feet quicker than say if they gave you intravenous Valium instead. And they actually do make an oral syrup of Versed, it's for people who suffer from really bad seizure's. But unfortunately it is not perscribed in a pill form. And when your on it, you have to be monitored for breathing, because it can actually stop your breathing if given a large amount. The next most powerful benzo is a drug called Triazolam, Halcion, which is also a sedative, anti anxiety and hypnotic. It is mainly used for sleep. but can be used for anxiety and panic attacks as well.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 AM   #7
(female)

Ariom HB User
Re: thanks for help

Well for me, when i haven taken Valium it acts very fast. many people and doctors state that it is addictive, but what isn't? If it is going to help me function normally and not freak out at work or in public, I say go for it. Valium left a tad bit nasueated at first but I fixed that by making sure I ate something. Almost any medication has it's side effects. I stay away from any type of caffeine that can enhance anxiety/panic. that helps! Yes valium acts fast, and when you are in a situation that you need it, there is nothing better except for Xanax. I never tried Klonopin, but known people who have tried it, hated it, and also I have known people that still take it to this day and swear by it. It is your body and strictly up to you. What may work for one person may not wpork for another. Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

You are definitely correct. If anyone has had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, that sort of thing, you've probably had Versed, and if you have, you understand why it's use is very limited! Halcion has taken some flack in the past few years or so. Apparently it's effects on the elderly can be quite strange (rage, sleepwalking, etc.). Aside from the drugs Shane named, which are the TRULY powerful benzos, the rest of them, the ones we are prescribed for anxiety, are really not necessarily "more powerful" than one another, it's more a half-life issue and some argue that certain benzos are better for certain types of anxiety (for example, Xanax is generally considered superior for pure panic attacks). To confuse the issue, different people respond to meds differently and the frequency of panic attacks, or whether a person has GAD or a combo of anxiety disorders, can make benzo selection more difficult. Another generalization: Ativan is considered by docs to be the "least addictive benzo". My personal opinion is that is because it is the least effective, but you know how opinions are.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-07-2006 at 07:16 AM.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I dont know the most powerful benzo but Klonopin always did the trick for me and fast.The only other one I tried was Ativan and it didnt do much to help me.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
(male)

M.G. HB User

The first time I took Klonopin, I noticed a dramatic improvement that afternoon... the effect was immediate.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
(male)

NigglingAtMe HB User

Xanax works for me whenever i feel a panic attack coming or become socially paranoid.

I'm on a fairly high dosage of 2mg 2xday(depending on how im feeling) but I'm also on Dex amphetamines (d5)'s which my script is for 10xdaily(5 morning, 5 lunch).

I've been taking Xanax for about a year and a half now, and it would seem that for some time now I'm not getting much benefit from it. I believe the medication for my ADHD is interfering... being an amphetamine of course. It means that i can get a panic attack while on ADHD meds if my mind loops its hard to get out. then to take the Xanax it has minimal effect, Infact i can hardly feel any change at all.

I think its easy to build a high tolerance for Xanax.
People tell me the Xanax should overpower the Dex amphetamines but in my case its not. Sorry to go a little off topic, but Xanax has worked perfectly well for me before i was diagnosed with ADHD and started on the D5's

Stick to the dosage script if its working for you, and don't ever abuse this drug by mixing with Alcohol, I Myself made that mistake at a party once and it turned me extremely aggressive, So i went home and i ended up cutting up my fingers and hands to make pretty patterns in them then decided to cut a giant smiley face across my chest and colored the eyes in red with my own cleric....and i remember it feeling good?!?!? Once i awoke i had NO idea why i had done this. A mistake ill never make again. Still have all the scars as a constant reminder... use responsibly. I apologize for the rant

Closed Thread