It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
(male)

Chairswalls407 HB User
doctors won't give me an anti-anxiety med, help!!

my therapist and i felt it would be a good idea to get me on an anti-anxiety med. so i went to two different psychiatrists last week and neither would prescribe any! the female dr. said i should take celexa, and the male dr. said i should take topamax which is a mood stabilizer. both did not want to give something like ativan because of the physical and emotional addiction. i don't know what to do!!! also, an anti-anxiety med would help me greatly because i have an inner ear disorder which causes HORRIFIC dizzyness and a feeling of shifting like being on a boat. benzo's are proven to help that. jeez, i'm so emotionally drained at this point!

Old 08-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
(female)

(s)aint HB User
Re: doctors won't give me an anti-anxiety med, help!!

I know how you feel! My doctor doesn't want to give me anti-anxiety meds either. She has me on Celexa, which helps, but it doesn't stop panic attacks or anything. And right now I'm currently experiencing vertigo and could use something to make this dizzyness go away! Grr doctors!
I would try going to a walk-in clinic or just keeping trying other GP's. If you and your therapist really think it would help, its worth trying for. Just keep looking around, maybe ask your friends/family to recommend a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
(female)

sd22 HB User

I have been there, and it is the worst feeling! Maybe your therapist can talk with your DR.
good luck

Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

Im in the same boat... I guess Xanax doesnt give kickbacks like SSRI companies do...

Old 08-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

and wait... SSRI's aren't addictive?

Old 08-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
(male)

Chairswalls407 HB User

i seriously just don't get it! i'm having frequent panic attacks to the point of where i'm having them every single time i drive and even in the shower! i haven't seen any of my friends in over 2 months. i'm afraid to leave the house because i am scared i will have a panic attack while i'm out. i'm also afraid to be left alone in the house and i'm scared to go to sleep at night. i purposely stay awake until 5am to go to sleep. i need to start exerxising but i'm so afraid I will have a panic attack while on my treadmill! i really need to be on a med!!!! and with my inner ear dizzyness, oh god, i won't even go there because i could literally talk about that for hours. it's HORRIBLE!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
(female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User

Same thing just happened to me. The dr. said anxiety and stress were not diagnosis' they were symptoms and since she does not think I am depressed, she had nothing to offer me. I thought I was having panic attacked. Occasionally, I would get startled and my heart would beat fast like something scared me, but because I didn't have difficulty breathing she said it wasn't a panic attack. I understand they are hesitant about giving out benzo's, but I would have taken an antidepressant as long as it also worked on anxiety, but she wouldn't even do that.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Can you see a different doctor? Maybe go to a GP instead of a psychiatrist.

In the meantime, some over the counter meds can give you relief. For dizziness, motion sickness meds can help, like Dramamine. It can also take the edge off panic. For panic attacks, Benadryl works too.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
(female)

Ariom HB User

Benadryl?? never heard that before. I am assuming since you mentioned that you have tried it, what exactly does it do? I am really curious. I never had a problem with my doc prescribing Xanax. She also believes that SSRI's are just as addictive. Knowing I don't abuse it, and never call ahead of time for refills, I just keep getting it. been on it for 3 yrs and it is a god send. before driving was scary, & I totally understand not wanting to go anywhere. I felt the same, until Xanax. So if it works for me, I am sticking with it. Some doctors don't give it, because they get the impression the patient is wanting it badly. Also patients that "Doctor Jump", hard for them to get it too.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:55 AM   #10
(male)

808Lion HB User

Wow... With the list of symptoms you mentioned, along with the frequency of your panic attacks, etc., I'm REALLY surprised no one has prescribed you any anti-anxiety medication...

My situation was somewhat the opposite of yours...
I too was having panic attacks on a VERY frequent basis...
They started happening more and more frequently...
Got to the point where I was having them pretty much all day every day for almost 2 weeks...
Of course I was bed-ridden for those 2 weeks...
Difference was I was the one who was strongly opposed to taking meds and my Doctors were all trying to give them to me...
I finally gave in and am now taking Zoloft, and for awhile (when it was bad) was taking Ativan...
I have read that the benzos can all be addictive, but also read that you have to take them pretty consistently and on a regular basis for 3 weeks or longer...
I was on Ativan 3 times a day for a month...
Worked with my Doctors to slowly wean myself off over the course of another month and am now just on the Zoloft...

Not sure why I went into all that, maybe just to relay my story... lol
Anyway... it definitely sounds like it's worth getting another opinion from someone else...
And while I, myself, am still not a big fan or advocate of benzos, I cannot deny that they did work for me, at least in helping me get through that really rough couple of weeks...

Best of luck and don't give up hope... :-)

Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #11
(female)

kw40 HB User

I guess I am an advocate of benzos. I have been taking xanax off and on for probably 15 years. Sometimes I would take one once every three weeks (dosage 0.5) and sometimes everyday depending on what I was going through. I have never had to up my dosage or take more than prescribed. I think at one point a doctor was giving me 30 at a time and being really cautious. Now I have a great psychiatrist. She gives me a 100 at a time with a refill. It takes me forever to get through those. She never hassles me. She has allowed me to take two a day. Which I never do. Anyways...glad they are in my medicine cabinet. I do shift work and sometimes when I get home late it is hard to fall asleep so I am always glad I have these if I need them. Well like other posters said...they have been a godsend. To the original poster. If I ever felt like I was having trouble getting them I would change doctors. THe older doctors seem to be more liberal about prescribing them as they were the ones who saw when they first came out and all the great benefits. All the younger doctors have heard is the negative press.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
(male)

edz61 HB User

If you can do without drugs more power to you. I tried them all and concluded they do nothing but add to my problems. I take Xanax or Ativan on as needed basis when I feel like the anxiety is about to come. Drugs make you feel better but don't really solve the problem as there is really no health problems (once your doctor checks you out) and it's really a mind problem. Hang in there I know it's tough as I have been dealing with this for 4 years. I get so scared sometimes thinking I will die soon. Guess what I am still here and look forward to getting better and healthier and live longer, you will too, I promise

Closed Thread