It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
(male)

samb0 HB User
Im sick when i get anxious (alot). please help

i got a hiatus hernia.

when im anxious or nervous about something, i feel as though i am going to be sick. the situations which make me prone:
travelling on trains (before i go on, im sick or gag)
going out to places & not driving myself
being a passenger in a car (feel very travel sick)
eating out (with lots of people around)
eating at formal dinners (with girlfriend's family as an example)
going to places where i wont be able to leave as soon as i want.

its got to the point where im fed up & want it to stop. im a young 20 year old lad! its getting me down.

to keep you up to date: i did take medicine for acid reflux (did not help) stop taking that now. im now on 80mg of propranolol hydrochloride for being anxious.
this does not help at all though though, it just makes me feel tired all the time. when i get nervous & anxious, my heart races & the sickness in my stomach takes over (i do not get diarrhea by the way). sometimes when we have eaten out i have been sick when this happens.
another example before my girlfriend was:- i was going on a date & i was nervous before & was sick (these are the kind of examples)

it is taking over my life though. i dont want to go out to places now with my mates because i might get sick. i refuse to be driven to places. i must be the driver as this will not make me sick. if i meet new people i get sick (but im a confident person though & get on with everyone)

this is part is strange though: when i do feel sick, if i go for a drive, i feel alot better. probably because it takes my mind off of it. but sometimes i just cant go and have a drive in my car, because it is allquid. i dont like to eat infront of alot of people as well (i dont know the reason why). if im tired, i feel sick as well (work full time get up at 6am 5 days a week, get home at 6pm).
i have learnt to avoid situations though. for example: before i go out with mates on a friday or saturday night, i make sure i do not have any dinner before. that way i dont feel as sick.

my health is good (although circulation is not good). i go gym (just do weights - no CV exercise though) im 5'8 and weigh 10 stone. im a confident guy who can talk to anyone. this whole situation puzzles me. i never use to be like it. it has started in the past 2 years.

as i said, it is getting me down. im young & worry that i will be like this for the rest of my life & i hate being like this & would do anything to stop it.

please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 06:22 AM   #2

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User
Re: Im sick when i get anxious (alot). please help

Please post your question on one board only.
The post will remain on this board but the post on the other board has been removed.

Thanks,
Ms_Mod

Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
(female)

(s)aint HB User

The same things happen to me. Its all cause by my anxiety, my nerves are constantly making my stomach upset.

Some things that help me feel better are:
trying to calm myself down(slow deep breaths)
distract myself. If you can't get out for a drive, do something that you find hard. For me it's doing math problems or playing some computer games.
drinking something fizzy. This usually helps me, but I'm a carbonation addict!
take OTC anti-nausea medications. Here its marketed as Gravol and comes in a non-drowsy formula so it won't knock you out.
eating something with ginger or peppermint. Both are natural anti-nauseants.

If all else fails, really speak to a doctor about it. Part of the reason why my agoraphobia got so bad, was the fear of being sick in public. So it's best to get this under control as soon as possible to avoid any my psychological side effects!
Good luck!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

shorebird HB User

You may want to look into joining a cbt group. It sounds to me like the way you are processing events in your head are what are causing all your probs. I was similar to you but my cbt group has helped me. I have learned that avoidance is the worst thing you can do for anxiety because that just makes it build and go into new areas of your life. Good luck and know that things can get better.

Closed Thread