It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
(female)

anothersideofme HB User
anyone weaning off meds?

Hi everyone! I've been searching the internet to find a support group for people coming off zoloft. I take 100 mg daily and have done so for about 5 years. It's helped alot for my panic disorder. I still have some anxiety and feel kinda spacey alot but have decided to come off the zoloft anyway. I basically wanted to just be myself without medication again. It's hard to explain, but I think maybe I'll feel my emotions more clearly without the zoloft. Course I know that also means I'll feel the panic again and hence the need for support

Another thing I'm looking for is my sex drive to come back. It never went away completely, but...still it'd be nice. I just wonder how long it takes to come back. Oops, not sure if it's ok to mention that. I'm sorry if it's not.

I guess my questions are these - is there anyone here who has gone through zoloft withdrawal or is now going through it?

My doctor is having me do 75 mg for a month, then 50 mg for a month and so on. Nice and gradual, so I'm hoping to avoid the withdrawal symptoms. I just need to get past the fear of the panic attacks recurring.

Sorry for the rambling! I guess I tend to do that.

Hope to hear from someone!

Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
(male)

808Lion HB User
Re: anyone weaning off meds?

sounds like your doc has you on a nice and slow schedule to get off the zoloft...
that should REALLY help to minimize any potential withdrawl symptoms so you should probably be just fine...

i'm currently on zoloft (75mg / day) but am not at the point where my doc thinks i'm ready to go off them yet so i'll be looking forward to that sometime... soon hopefully... :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
(female)

anothersideofme HB User

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to it, but a little scared as well. My doctor seemed to think I might be on this the rest of my life, so it was my idea to come off. He thinks it's a great idea though to give this a try and see how I do.

Thanks again

Old 08-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
(male)

808Lion HB User

just take it one step at a time and you should be fine...
most of what i've read seems to indicate that most meds do not need to be taken for the rest of our lives (as pertains to anxiety / depression), unless you have bipolar disorder, in which case i think meds ARE highly recommended for the long term...

but for those of us suffering from anxiety / panic / depression, it seems realistic to think that we don't have to be on meds for the rest of our lives if we don't want to be...

i'll be looking forward to when i can start weening off as well... :-)

Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
(female)

sarah5432 HB User

Well I'm not taking Zoloft, but am currently weaning off of 30mg's of Lexapro. My doc has me going down by 5mg's every two weeks. I'm now down to 20mg's and so far I don't notice any difference. This was also my decision to go off the meds as I'd like to have another baby.

If you need any support or another weaning-buddy let me know!!

Closed Thread