It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Question Random occurances of shortness of breath.

My 17 year old son is entering his Senior High School year. And...getting ready to apply to several colleges. He's a person who doesn't adjust well to change.

He says to me this morning "Mom, what causes random shortness of breath"? and I asked him "why are you asking this"?

Well it seems a few days ago he just walked about 15 feet and felt out of breath. This does not happen when he's on the treadmill, general walking, it didn't happen at Hershey Park last week, it just randomly happens. No dizziness, numbness, pain in general, no rapid heart rate. Just a feeling like he's out of breath.

Could this be anxiety? He is prone to what he use to call a "nervous feeling" and as a child I think back now, he may have suffered a few panic attacks. I remember random moments when he said he had "the bad feeling" and didn't want to leave the house. But we somehow over came that and sometimes I think back as to the cause.

Personally I don't think it's a physical problem or disease. But he is due for a physical. Unfortunately that's not for another 5 weeks. Truthfully I think it's anxiety. Any thoughts??

Thanks....

Last edited by MrsLinda; 09-07-2006 at 07:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Random occurances of shortness of breath.

Sounds like he is hyperventilating. A person can be a "hidden hyperventilater" and not realise they are breathing that way. I suffered 10 years before a hypertension speicalist recognized the problem. I am much older than your son, but it can happen at any age.

Tell him to take deep breaths and very slow exhales every hour during the day. This will help balance the oxygen and carbon dioxide needed for the red carpusles to release oxygen to the vital organs. Without a balance the vital organs are starved for oxygen. He should research hyperventilation and hidden hyperventilation and learn all he can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User
Re: Random occurances of shortness of breath.

Speaking as a person who was troubled by anxiety during adolescence, this likely bothers your son more than you think; he may be wondering if he has some sort of physical problem. I'd call his doc and get him an appt. sooner so that they can rule out a physical problem. Even though most of us are overly worried about our health, it is essential to see a doc because us anxious folk do get sick, too. If the doc thinks he's physically ok, he can probably refer your son to a good psych, or your son may just be feeling pressured with the upcoming changes in his life, but I'd get him in to the doc's soon so you can get this thing checked out for everyone's peace of mind. Take care.

Closed Thread