It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

cattyw HB User
Buspar

Anyone here take this? I am taking half a 10mg tablet every morning for the past 2 days. On the label it says 10mg once a day. Of course, I am nervous abt taking full dosage. Anyone have much success with this med?

Old 09-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
(female)

cecropia HB User
Re: Buspar

Hi Catty,
Normally I do not register in boards like this, but I saw your question on buspar. I took buspar for the first time in 1992 at the age of 40 for anxiety attacks and loss of appetite. SSRI's seem too strong for me and I have yet to be able to take anything except for buspar or buspirone. I take buspirone and it works well. I quit after 3yrs. and relapsed in 1998. Went back on Buspirone for another 3yrs. and quit and relapsed again this June. I have been back on Buspirone for 3 months starting at 5mg. three times a day at 6 hr. intervals. You may notice your anxiety is a little worse at the beginning of treatment, but this subsides later on. Buspirone takes longer to work than the SSRI's and so don't get discouraged. I think 5mg. is not enough to help though. I did that back in 1992 because I was so scared to take it and I finally had to increase the dose to get well. I now am taking 20mg. a day, 5mg. at five hr. intervals, example, 7am-12noon-5pm-10pm. That is the only way I can get enough into my system. I cannot take 10mg. at once because the side effects become too pronounced, such as anxiety or possible light headedness. You should be okay if you stick to only 5mg. at a time, but if you want results I think you will need to take more, perhaps 3 times a day at 5mg.

After 3 months my appetite is trying to come back normal. That is the part I hate worst of all my symptoms, is the loss of appetite. Don't give up, and good luck. Oh, I am on my third episode of Gad with depression and have been advised to stay on meds for the rest of my life and to quit stopping treatment, so I may be on buspirone for a long time. It also helps my depression, but not until I've been on it for about 4 months or so.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
(female)

cattyw HB User

Hi there
Thanks for the fast reply. I thought about taking another Buspar in a couple of hours. The dr also gave me Wellbutrin. I took one yest & felt inside shakes off & on all day. I fig that is a side effect. I thought maybe trying just the Buspar & seeing how i do..being that WB is a stimulant & i am afraid would make me have more pvc;s...ughhh

Old 09-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
(female)

cecropia HB User

This is not funny, but my doctor this time around also prescribed Wellbutrin at 75mg. morning and evening. I got to about the 6th day and I had severe dizzy spells, and my blood felt dirty or something, it was a funny feeling anyway. I know so many people who are on Wellbutrin and they just love it, but I have tried twice now to use it at my Dr.'s request and I just can't get past the weird feelings it gives me, so I have to just wait til the Buspar takes care of my depression and that will be about 4 months before it builds up enough in my system to work on that area also. Just amazed to see someone else who was put on Buspar and Wellbutrin for it is not that common I don't think or at least it didn't used to be. Maybe now it is. I just can't get on that Wellbutrin and I certainly have tried....

Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

cattyw HB User

lol omg cant believe we have been prescribed the same meds. Mine is the Wellbutrin XL, it is supp to be very slow release. I do not think it is an ssri, it works on another chemical in the brain, so i have heard. lol I almost took another one today, but instead i took another 5mg of Buspar. I have heard alot of ppl like the WB & that they lost weight(which i wouldnt mind for myself)..so i dont know what to do really about it. Some days is eem more gung ho on taking it & dealing with side effects, other days im not.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

i have been on buspar for two years. i was on 15mg until june when it stopped working. my md upped it to 45mg and added wellbutrin which made the anxiety worse. i stopped the wellbutrin and saw the pdoc and he upped the buspar to 60mg. it always starts working on me in 4 days and by a couple of weeks i'm back to normal. i have a hard time with side effects from antidepressants and found very few with buspar. a little dizziness once in awhile. expecially if i take it on an empty stomach or with caffiene. hope it works for youl.

Closed Thread