It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 05:38 AM   #1
(female)

cecropia HB User
Why do you think some peoples medications stop working

Some people can take the same medicine for 5, 10, 15yrs. or more and it never stops working for their anxiety or depression...yet others say their meds stop working and they have to switch to something else. One of my sister-in-laws has been on Zoloft for over 10yrs. for anxiety and it still works for her. She has never tried to stop and doesn't plan to because she feels so good on it.

I have read testimonials where people have been on Buspar for over 10yrs. and it is still working for them at a maintenance dose of about 5mg. a day. Buspar is what I take and I always get off for awhile because I'm afraid my body will become immune to it. My husband is a diabetic and he always tells me..."What do you think would happen if I quit taking my medicine?", duh, I know he'd get sick again. That's the point, I always relapse and the relapses are very painful and hard to get through. He wants me to stay on my Buspar this time for the long run. I'm 54 now.

Anyone have an opionion on this subject or care to tell how long they have been on one medication or how many years they have been on medication for their anxiety?

Thanks,

Old 09-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Why do you think some peoples medications stop working

My sister and many friends have been on there medications for years - they are doing fine. I don;t know why meds stop working. Maybe it depends on the person?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User
Re: Why do you think some peoples medications stop working

It is now well-known in the psychiatric community that many meds (mostly SSRIs and the other newer spinoffs) "peter out" after a while for many people. Not for everyone, but a good percentage of people have to switch to a different medication. Noone has nailed down a satisfying reason as to why this happens. I have personally had to switch medication countless times, but I personally know people (including family members) who have taken the same medication for years with good results.

Closed Thread