It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User
afraid to fall asleep.

for some reason on school nights when i lay in bed i become increasingly afraid to fall asleep. i cant even tell you what iam afriad of. its not neccesarily that i fear that i wont wake up its just a fear of idk letting go. i hate being forced to go bed to bed too because on weekends or in the summer i can go to bed when IAM tired, not when my mom thinks i should go to bed. anyone know why iam so afraid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User
Re: afraid to fall asleep.

You're obviously pretty anxious. We don't know why; it could be life events and a transient thing or you may have an anxiety disorder. I went through a period of barely sleeping at all when I was about 12 or 13. I slept about 2-3 hours per night, I had to basically read until I just collapsed from sleep, then I came home and took a nap before dinner (I wasn't as afraid of sleeping in the daytime). That lasted months and then it went away. Every now and then if I'm really scared I become afraid to go to sleep at night, but that doesn't happen too much. I know other anxious people in the same situation. I encourage you to talk to your parents about your fears. I know it seems awkward, but hopefully they can get you into couseling or get some help. It really sucks not to be able to sleep, but know you're not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User

well my mom knows that i get nervous alot. the thing i dont get is that when iam tired i could care less about my fear and on days that arent school nights iam fine. i think i may just have trouble adjusting to going back to school. my main concern is that i wont get enough sleep and my grades will suffer. my mom has suggested that maybe i do need anxiety medications but everytime she brings it up i get so upset and i dont know why. my twin sis loves scary movies and get afraid that i will turn into like hannibal lector lol. my fear of sleeping gets intensified when i go over other peoples houses to sleep. but i already feel better just talking about it.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-17-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Ah, there you go. You are phobic about school, or at the very least, overly worried about your performance at school. Have you told your mom about that? Are your parents very strict about your grades, or do you just sort of impose perfection on yourself? (that's common in anxious people) Make sure you tell your mom everything, exactly why you're worried and tell her how bad it is. You may need some short-term counseling. Many times people (especially young people) worry so much about things that end up not being that big of a deal. My 12 year old son lost sleep and nearly burst into tears because he didn't turn in a textbook on time and he thought he'd get points taken off his average for that. (we're strict parents, but not unreasonable). So remember that you're likely worrying about things that are going to turn out fine.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User

its not exactly school iam afraid of, its home that i miss. i miss the relaxing days of summer and just doing whatever the heck i want. my parents arent strict but they encourage good preformance. my twin sister is miss perfect( shes athletic and beautiful and really nice too ) but intelligence is all i have over her. but i really dont think iam nervous about school its just iam a huge worry wart and i like knowing where evryone is and that everyone is ok.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-17-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

You sound a bit like my little brother. He's a bit anxious, but he's doing quite well. He's pretty much a genius, going to grad school next year. He is tall and awkward looking while our other brother is very classically handsome and was always very popular with his peers and the girls. Now, some 8-10 years later, the anxious, awkward brother is doing much better---he has a great girlfriend, a bright future, and we all dearly love him. He had that hangup about knowing where everyone was. On trips (even when he was about 10 years old) he nearly stalked everyone trying to keep tabs on us. He always disliked school, too, until he went to college. You're going to be ok, but if this is really affecting your life, make sure you talk to your mom and possibly a counselor about it. No sense in wasting worry---save it for when you need it!

Old 09-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User

haha thanks. luckily iam not as akward as you supposed iam no brad pitt but luckily for me iam not ugly or anything. thanks for answering my posts.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-17-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Yeah, my brother isn't ugly, he just isn't as good looking as our other brother. And by awkward I mean that he's a little shy and nervous, not a total goofball. So, no, I don't think you're THAT messed up!

Old 09-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User

oh i wasnt saying that your brother was ugly sorry i think i used the wrong words lol. but yeah iam pretty nervous too. thanks again for all your advice it means alot.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-17-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
(male)

Marconis HB User

Hey quiksilver. I too have trouble falling asleep on school nights. For me it is mainly because it is the time where everything just rushes through my head. Like what tommorow will be like, what will happen if...Things like that. One reason is also because I too in a way force myself to sleep. My evening anxiety has seemed to be decreasing a little bit. What really does the trick, for me at least, is I just turn on the TV, get tired, and fall asleep. If you dont have a TV in your room, go to the nearest one, get comfortable and put it on a low volume...you're bound to get your mind off things and become sleepy.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #11
(male)

mnman HB User

I like what Marconis said. Another option would just be to put on some relaxing music and concentrate on your breathing.

I was a lot like you when I was in school. Especially when we had a week or so off for vacation. I would lay in bed after not being in school for a week and just feel unsettled. I could never place why. Im out of school now, but after I do something that I have looked forward to for awhile I will get that feeling again. What has worked for me is having things to look forward to. So try to look forward to seeing your friends, or maybe an after school activity. Get involved and really busy so that you always have something going on and can look forward to these things.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User

yeah thanks guys. i do have a tv in my room but my room is right next to my sisters and my parents but i guess if i was desperate i could turn it on but lots of times nothing good is on at 1:00 in the morning lol. but my strategy is just to read either some magazine or a book.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

Hi quicksilver,

I always had trouble sleeping too when I was younger and had school the next day. It was especially bad after summer or vacation ended. It was just like you said, over the summer or when we were on vacation, you got to stay up late and had more control over when you went to bed. Plus, I didn't have the same worries on vacation as I did when I was in school. I'm a big worrier, so I always have worries, but during school, I would lay awake and think of all the things I had to do the next day. You know something, now that I'm an adult, I still do the same thing! When I'm on vacation, I sleep great, but as soon as the end of the week rolls around, and I have to go back to work, I'm right back to staying awake worrying again. I have a really hard time turning off my mind and just relaxing and going to sleep. Do you feel like you're thinking about lots of things or worrying when you can't sleep?

Old 09-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #14
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User

yeah when theres something to look forward to i can concentrate on that.

Last edited by quiksilver34; 09-18-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User

last night took me awhile to fall asleep and i was exhausted today. but the good news is that tonight i will probably be to tired to care

Closed Thread