It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

srl67 HB User
New Doctor?

I am just full of questions.

My next one is, do I switch doctors or not? My doctor just seems to think every ache and pain I have is associated with anxiety, which may be true. But to put my mind at rest you would think she would ask for more testing to be done. I was lucky to get a thyroid and cholesterol test done, only because I asked for some blood test. I asked if some kind of hormone could be out of whack and she said no.
I feel I need to find a new doctor who will be more aggressive to put my mind to rest when it comes to some things.

What do you all think?

Old 09-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Re: New Doctor?

I have had so many issues with doctors in the past few years. Once you get an anxiety diagnosis they blame everything on anxiety. If you really feel like your current doctor is doing that, then you should probably look for another doctor. I went through three in the last year and the one I have now does talk about my anxiety some, but she will at least do tests and give me referrals because she does realize I have real health issues that are not caused by anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Oh, and you might want to try an internal medicine doc, rather than just a family practice. I have had better luck with those types of doctors. Just my opinion.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

I agree with Leela regarding internal medicine docs. Family practice docs are fine, but IMHO, they are best left to what they do best: treating a wide rage of benign disorders in either very healthy people or people who are in remote areas and can't access another doc, and occassionally deliver a baby (again, way out in the boonies). If you are an adult with any real health issues, internal medicine is much more the way to go. Another tip: while it is important to disclose all meds you are taking and if they ask, you can certainly tell them you have anxiety, don't make a big fuss about the anxiety. Don't say "Well, it's probably just my anxiety" every time you go to the doc because we can get sick, too. Granted, we usually don't come down with the bizarre or life-threatening diseases we imagine! On the other hand, we are anxious and anxious people go to the doctor more than others because we worry about (mostly) trivial things. In the beginning stages of anxiety, people go a tremendous number of times and sometimes even go to ERs repeatedly until they learn about their panic attacks or anxiety problems. So tons of testing isn't always good, sometimes tests can show slight variations or benign things that you have to have other tests for, all that jazz. If your doc is hesitant to even do basic blood tests like cholesterol and thyroid, however, I'd switch. It's a balancing act that takes, well, it takes being anxious for a while to work out 1)when you should go to the doc 2)when you should ask for tests 3)if you should read the test results or trust your doc's assessment 4)if you should run to the ER (for panic attacks, this would be a no) for symptoms 5)how you should talk to your doc. Sorry this was so long, but I'd definitely change docs if she's unwilling to even order preventative screenings. As far as going to the doc, you may want to try and adopt what some of my anxiety friends do: give a non-acute, non-life threatening symptom 2 weeks to resolve on its own. If it hasn't resolved in 2 weeks, make an appointment to have it checked out. Most things take care of themselves in that amount of time and you've saved yourself anguish, money, etc. Take care.

Closed Thread