It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
(male)

Inferit HB User
Aftermath of a Panic Attack

Hello, I have been suffering off and on from panic attacks for about a year now. I'm hoping to get some feedback from other panic sufferers about how they feel after a Panic Attack.

I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this, but for me, after I have a Panic Attack I get this odd feeling for about a week following an attack. It never fails, this "odd" feeling is always noticable after an attack. Kind of feels like i'm not in reality, some what like a dream. During this period I have also noticed hightened anxiety. For me, this usually last for a week - 24/7 straight. At first I thought it might of been some sort of depression caused by a Panic Attack. But from what I have read and learned of depression it doesn't sound like it. Also I have never taken any medications for my anxiety/panic attacks.

Can anyone else relate to this? If so, how do you cope with this feeling? For me.. the Panic Attacks are hard, but the aftermath is MUCH harder.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Re: Aftermath of a Panic Attack

Hi Inferit
What you are experiencing is called Depersonalization/De-realization.
I suffer from panic disorder and know a lot about this because I experience it as well.. These symptoms are COMPLETLY normal and are in fact just another symptom of your anxiety disorder, although they are very disturbing feelings at times, I can assure you that they are completely harmless.
Depersonalization can be anywhere from a change in a persons self awareness, feeling like you are detached from your own body, feeling weird, unfamiliar to your surroundings, and ever two dimensional at times..
De-realization is when you feel spaciness, foggy head, withdrawn from yourself, distant from your surroundings, or dreamlike...
Okay so now you ask why does this happen?
Well It was explained to me that They are actually caused by changes which occur in the way nerve signals are processed by the brain during anxiety disorders, but keep in mind both are directly caused by and are symptoms of anxiety, they are as I mentioned before completely harmless!!
I know these feelings can be very disturbing at times, but when you feel this way just try to remind yourself that it is all part of the disorder and you are not suffering in anyway from mental illness!!! It's all a just a vicious cycle and your brain is only reacting the way it should..
Are you getting any treatment for your anxiety/panic disorder??
I hope my explanation was able to help you some.. Any thoughts or questions feel free to ask. If you get a chance look up my post my disease called anxiety disorder on this board, I think you will find some interesting information and explanation's on anxiety and panic disorders as well as that you are not alone in what you are experiencing... feel better boxerlover

Last edited by boxerlover227; 09-18-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
(male)

Inferit HB User
Re: Aftermath of a Panic Attack

Thanks for the reply.

Its good to hear its normal to have this feeling. No I haven't had any treatment for my panic disorder. I been fighting it for about a year alone now. Panic Attacks are not as big of a deal as they used to be a year ago. They only last a few minutes and then I just brush it off. A year ago it was very scary, i didn't know what was going on. For me, what helped a lot was forcing myself into panic attack situations. I knew what to expect and the attacks became less and less.

This Aftermath feeling reciently started for me about a month ago. I never really had them before. I'm just glade you knew what I was talking about. It's difficult to put into words.

The thing about Depersonalization/De-realization is that if I keep my mind busy.. like say, playing a video game ( ) I feel fine/normal. but once I pause and look to see how i'm feeling I notice i still feel like im in a dream. Then after a few days its gone completely.

I wish I could put it into words what its like. Almost like feeling drunk without the dizzyness. Or if you daze at something for a long time, you know how everything starts to blurr? - kind of like that. Ermm... Best discriptions I can think of.

Maybe now that I know its normal.... the anxiety I get while in a Depersonalization/De-realization will calm down

Thanks again got your reply.

Closed Thread