It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

selina_jones1 HB User
whats the worst that can happen?

hi, ive had panic attacks for a year now, on and off, i am still not used to calling them panic attacks though my doctor says they are. I just want to check though what the worst thing that can happen is? Ive been told the worse is that i might pass out?

I cant help but think at the time what if i really am dying? And it takes a hell of a lot for me not to call an ambulance - this is when i am alone, with my boyf he usually tells me its okay. Tonight i will be alone, though i am used to this, i am scared, a few nights ago i had flashbacks of sexual abuse, i am feeling anxious in case i have anymore and start panicking, if i pass out will i still be okay? who should i call if i dont have anyone else to call? Do samaritans deal with anxiety too?

xx

Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
(female)

(s)aint HB User
Re: whats the worst that can happen?

The panic attack in itself is the worst thing that can happen. It's fairly rare to pass out because of a panic attack, and when someone does it's due to hyperventilation. As long as you remember to take deep, even breaths, nothing bad should happen at all. While terrifying, panic attacks are reletivly harmless.
If you feel scared about being alone, try calling a friend. You could even come on here and post about something. The best way to calm your fears, is to distract yourself and remind yourself that you will be okay and the panic will pass soon.
If this is really affecting your daily quality of life, I suggest you see a counsellor to help work through your fears. Talking about it can really help, as well as some medications. Just something to think about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

Stacey97 HB User

I remember when I first started having panic attacks about 7 years ago. I thought I was going to die. Actually to this day, there are times that I think I am going to die during a panic attack. Right now I can think, wow, thats crazy, I donno why I think that ... but during a panic attack I really think that ... and thats because its all "irrational thinking" ...

No one has ever died from a panic attack ... but you are going to feel like you will. But again, you won't. A panic attack is scary ... I have found that out, no matter how long I have had them, they are still scary to me. It's nice to have someone there with you to remind you that you are ok. You do have to learn to tell yourself that you are ok, so that if you are alone you will be able to get through it by yourself. I think its harder to get through by myself, still.

Good luck. Keep your chin up. We understand!!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
(male)

SteveGn HB User

selina, During a panic attack, the release of adrenaline causes the extreme symptoms. One of the symptoms of this release of adrenaline is that our consciousness gets taken to a level that makes us feel that we are not in control, and this out of control feeling is what is easily the worst part for many. However, there is nothing to fear about this "out of control" feeling, even though it can be very unsettling to say the least. Of course, this out of control feeling and other symptoms do tend to scare us even more, thus the panic escalates. If we can recognize (way easier said than done) that it's just the adrenaline that's creating the symptoms, and that nothing bad is going to happen, thus there is nothing to actually fear, then the panic will not escalate to a highly uncomfortable degree.

Once we see that we have some control over the degree of the panic, mainly by understanding the affect of adrenaline and that nothing bad is going to happen to us, even if we feel out of control, then the fear of panic attacks will lessen. When the fear lessens, then the likelihood of one occurring becomes less and less, which lessens the fears even more, thus a positive chain reaction gets started. Also, as the fears lessen, the nervous system has a chance to start getting desensitized, which means a scary or fearful thought or "trigger" will be less likely to cause the anxiety/panic symptoms to start up.

Practices such as less sugar and caffeine intake, exercising, and meditation/mindfulness can also help calm and desensitize the nervous system. Also, about 400-500 mg. of magnesium helped me a lot when I was going through a very rough time with panic. I know I ventured away from your question, but just wanted to add those things, in case you or other readers find them helpful. Take care, Steve

Last edited by SteveGn; 09-24-2006 at 09:45 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SteveGn For This Useful Post:
jenniferbooher (03-07-2012)
Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Unhappy Re: whats the worst that can happen?

this is Not a joke; it's a Fact. In my opinion, the worst thing that can happen is loss of bowel control during a cocktail party conversation or on a first date or standing in line at a store.
Never happened to me yet but it could! I've come close at walgreens
Most people never admit that this happens.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

this is Not a joke; it's a Fact. In my opinion, the worst thing that can happen is loss of bowel control during a cocktail party conversation or on a first date or standing in line at a store.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Closed Thread