It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

kdf0006 HB User
please help

im not really sure where i fit in this thing or what i really want from it. i am a very anxious person, i always have been. I am 22 now and my mind never stops racing. all of my worries are fairly small but i just dwell and dwell. i will think about stupid things like "what if i am late to class and everybody watches me walk in" or "what do they say about me at work when i am not there" doesnt seem like a big deal, but when i turn something like this into hours or days worth of worry and analysis it makes me crazy. i think every single action through over and over. i had a bit of a breakdown in class the other day (yeah...slightly embarrassing). my prof actually had to walk me to the school clinic where i sat crying so hard i couldnt catch my breath. long story short they put me on seroquel. i have been on anti-dep meds for a few years and they just added this on top to help with the anxiety. i feel bad complaining because i feel like my worries are nothing compared to others, but if they are nothing then why wont they get out of my head! just a constant string of worry, half the time i dont even rerember my walk home form school because i was in one of my worry dazes. i guess what i am wondering is if i should be patient with the seroquel. i thought it would work fast but it has been about a week and nothing has changed. with it being a school clinic i dont want them to think that if i ask for a higher dose or something that i just want the drugs. really i hate the drugs, but i really really hate the anxiety so hey, what the hell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
(female)

freakin HB User
Re: please help

Hi! Don't feel bad that your worries aren't as bad as others. The nature of anxiety is that it isn't necessarily rational.

I have no experience with the med you are taking, but from what I know, most meds take up to a month to really kick in. Give it a while to see if it works.

Sorry about your experience in class. Luckily, everyone in your class has their own issues and no one will even give yours a second thought!

Hang in there.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
(female)

srl67 HB User

I have worries all the time and no persons worries are any less than the others. They all bother us in one way or another.
I am sorry you are going through this. I have only been on meds for a week but I do feel a lot better and the worries don't seem to be sticking in my head as long.
Hopefully each day will get better and better than the day before. I find when I really start to think of some kind of doom - as I call it - I tell myself no, and think of something I enjoyed, like the beach with my dogs and kids. I also try to think of just some good things I have right now.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
(female)

mustlovedogs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srl67
Hopefully each day will get better and better than the day before. I find when I really start to think of some kind of doom - as I call it - I tell myself no, and think of something I enjoyed, like the beach with my dogs and kids. I also try to think of just some good things I have right now.
That used to be my way out, too. Suffering from anxiety all my life, I could "manage" it by shoving it away with a forceful NO, or thinking of something good, but then it spun out of control on me early this year when too many stresses hit me all at once. Suddenly even the good thoughts weren't working either, and I couldn't muster the strength to NO the what-ifs away. I think anxiety works in various stages--some ok, some not good, some crippling to day-to-day life. I also think that the stages come and go. Right now, I'm in the "crippling to day-to-day life" stage. I think a big part of the reason it's so hard for me right now is because I'm also currently suffering from a little more depression than usual, which means I can't seem to find those good thoughts to help me wade through the anxiety.

I've had to work on retraining myself (with the help of my therapist) to find those good thoughts again. I'm not currently on meds, but am considering them. Right now, it's just the therapist for me, but therapy does help. It helps to have someone to talk to about your worries who not only will assure you that you have every right to feel worry and it's not your fault, but will also help you to see a different perspective on them (something that's difficult for us to do on our own when we're so wrapped up in them).

It really helps just to talk to someone about them who won't poo-poo you. I've found that giving solid presence to my anxiety (voicing the worries out loud) and discussing them does help ease them. I recently broke a severe anxiety attack by just describing what it felt like to my husband and having him listen. It took my mind off of the anxiety as I had to struggle to find the right words to describe it. Thankfully, he was very patient and understanding. He doesn't suffer from anxiety, but he does suffer from depression and mild social anxiety, so he kinda understands my anxiety but not really.

Maybe you could find someone to talk to who won't mind being your strength when you feel your strength waning. Whether that's a therapist, a friend, a relative, whatever. It really does help to ease the isolation and loneliness of anxiety to be able to talk to someone who cares enough to listen until you're done. Sometimes you don't necessarily need advice, you just need to know that someone cares and wants to understand (even if they don't).

Don't ever think your worries are too small to matter. They are what they are and, as someone else said, the nature of anxiety is that it isn't rational. Just because you consider your worries small doesn't mean that they are causing you any less stress than someone with bigger worries. And that's normal for anxiety.

(Sorry about writing a book... )

Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
(female)

kdf0006 HB User
Unhappy Re: please help

Thank you all for your support. I ended up back in the clinic the next week. My doc is keeping me on my medication that has already been prescribed and is adding klonopin. im not huge on the idea of having so many meds but if it will help for now i will take what i can get. i am still having anxiety issues but i am trying to be patient and give the meds time. i think i need to reconsider therapy. my parents put me in therapy when i was 12 and was first diagnosed with deppression. i hated it and rebelled, just like a teen huh? anyway, it took awhile for me to trust a counselor enought to really open up. two years ago i found one that i really really liked. I saw him for the whole two years. unfortunately he moved and i can no longer see him. I know that it would be helpful to see someone again, but it is hard to trust someone again. i want to know that i will find someone that i will bond with like my last therapist but i know that that is not garunteed. any ideas on how to pick a new therapist?

Closed Thread