It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
(female)

freakin HB User
Too scared to start my Lexapro

Hi guys,

I am suffering from anxiety, which seems to be increasing as a few major life events are getting nearer (marriage, moving to a new state, buying a house, buying a car...).

I have had episodes of anxiety in the past and have always been quick to take meds to take care of it. I took zoloft once and lexapro once, both for 3 months or so, and they both worked really well and the anxiety didn't come back for a while.

This time, for some reason, it's different. I have been suffering through this period of anxiety for a few months now. I got an Rx for lexapro from my doctor about two months ago and I am just too scared to take it.

I remember the last time I took it, I was very dizzy the first day. I am soooo scared of that feeling this time around and the other side effects that I may (or may not have) that I can't even take the medicine. I even have xanax to take, which I've taken many times before, and it's a struggle to take that. I feel like such a wimp.

Can anyone tell me anything to make me feel more comfortable taking this medication? What were your experiences in the first days of Lexapro? I would appreciate mostly positive experiences, if you have them.

Thanks so much,
ajf

Old 09-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
(male)

hurting333 HB User
Re: Too scared to start my Lexapro

I am weaning off ZOLOFT which sucked. I am pumped, excited to start Lexapro. Lexapro worked for me once when I was down and I want to start it again because it made me feel better faster than any other SSRI. I start next Tuesday and I am counting on the days to get there. with CBT I have learned to be excited for the good health that is coming rather than being down about the bad health you are having.

Just remember how awesome it is to feel good. Go on the drug and stay positive. I tried on Zoloft but lost as that drug kicked my butt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I was on Lexapro for a few months. It got rid of my anxiety. I had to take it at night before bed in the beginning then after a month or so I took it at supper time. I just couldn't take it in the morning. I was too tired. You should at least try it. Several of my friends take it and really like it. What dose are you starting at?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

freakin HB User

I was thinking I'd start with 2.5mg (cutting the 10mg pills) for four days and then go to 5mg assuming I feel okay.

How much did you start with j2006 and did you experience any worsening of your anxiety in the beginning?

hurting333, I love your attitude. I just wish I could fast forward through the first few days of taking the medicine so I wouldn't have to worry about what the side effects will feel like. I really want to be better, but I'm scared!

Stupid anxiety. I have anxiety about anxiety I may experience from medications that are supposed to cure my anxiety... Fun.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #5
(male)

hurting333 HB User

Well, I was just on Zoloft and my attitude was just like yours. I couldnt deal with waiting 4 weeks to see if it was going to work. I have had my meds poop out 3 or 4 times and the same cycle happens....I get worked up, more anxiety and then I find a drug that works and I forget what it is like to feel like crap. Lexapro was great for me so I am going back. Lexapro also works faster than other SSRI so its a good drug to start. I wanted to start yeterday but my DR said lets get zoloft out of your systme since I was having a very hard time with it. BTW....klonpin has been helping alot!!

While my attitude today is good, just look at my past posts to see I was in the same place you were. I just remember how awesome it feels to feel good and not think about this crap. They say 1 day at a time......I say bullcrap. I say...look ahead and know that you will find the right med/therapy etc and you will laugh one day about how stupid your thoughts were. GET ON LEXAPRO and I will talk in a few weeks about how stupid your thinking is!!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
(female)

rrazzi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakin

Can anyone tell me anything to make me feel more comfortable taking this medication? What were your experiences in the first days of Lexapro? I would appreciate mostly positive experiences, if you have them.

Thanks so much,
ajf
I take 10mg of Lexapro before bedtime & I'm fine in the a.m. Maybe you can do the same.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-19-2006 at 08:28 AM.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
(female)

freakin HB User

hurtin333, I totally know you are right. I'll start it tonight. I'm such an idiot too, because I keep going to sites like remedy find and rx list and reading reviews of the medicine and of course, since those that are doing fine on the meds aren't surfing anxiety sites, there are so many bad reviews.

rrazzi, I'm going to do what you say and take the meds tonight. I'm still going to start out very very small (2.5mg) and perhaps take a half of a xanax right before as well.

But of course, my obsessive, anxious mind is saying "what if you then wake up in the middle of the night and experience all of the side effects and can't sleep blah blah blah." And my anxiety is generally worse at night...

Crap.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I started with 2.5 for 2 days, 5 for a week then 5.5 for a week then 10. I took that at bedtime with a 1/4 of a klonopin and I was fine.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
(female)

freakin HB User

j2006 - How long did it take for you to feel the lessened anxiety? Were you nervous about taking the lex in the first place?

Thanks everyone for talking to me about this!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

It's hard to say because I started it with the Klonopin. I did notice after a week I wanted to start calling my friends again, I wanted to go outside and I wanted to shop. I had a more positive outlook. I didn't have any side effects other than I was tired.I was very scared about taking drugs. But I know that I needed that assistance. It took me 5 months to accept that. I have since come off the Lexapro. It was strong for me. I am very sensitive to drugs. I was on for a few months. My new Dr. wanted to see how I was without any drugs in my system. I was doing fine for a while but I had stressful issues to deal with. Plus I couldn't seem to get rid of this drunk feeling. I feel like I am in a fog all day long. I am now taking Celexa. I just started 2 days ago. in hopes that will go away. Sometimes just taking the first pill is the hardest! If you have any questions let me know!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #11
(female)

freakin HB User

Thanks so much. I will start tonight (with a half dose of xanax).

Hey, my big move happens to be to Boston, where I am originally from. I'm in NYC now. I cannot wait to be back in beantown!

Old 09-20-2006, 06:15 AM   #12
(female)

freakin HB User

Okay, so I discussed this with my fiance (who I live with) and we decided it would be better to start on Monday, since we are traveling this weekend. I don't want to worry about the side effects whilst traveling. Update to be posted Monday...

Old 09-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

That is a great idea. Before I started Celexa I had a big weekend and I put it off until after. Keep me posted.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #14
(male)

hurting333 HB User

I am starting Lexapro a few days behind you. I will let you know. Remember to get excited as feel good is awesome!

Old 09-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #15
(female)

mishkaaa HB User

i am not on medication, but at times i wish i were. use it to your advantage!

Closed Thread