It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

kittymob HB User
28 yr old with panic disorder for 11 yrs now

Hi everyone,
I have been reading the threads and it's good to know i'm not alone. I started having panic attacks when I was 17 and it took about 2 years to diagnose it correctly ( I thought I had something that would cause me to die). I have tried going to psychiatrists and so many different meds over the years. Throughout the past 9 years, I have been on Klonipin as needed. I finally felt like my life was back on track with very infrequent attacks, until a few months ago when they started back as bad as they were in the beginning. I have learned all of the relaxation techniques and it seems like I would be able to control these attacks since I know what is happening. I am about to start taking Lexapro, so we'll see. Has anyone else had this problem for so long???

Old 09-20-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User
Re: 28 yr old with panic disorder for 11 yrs now

I have not had panic for that long but I have been told by my doc that although symptoms may get better there will always be a tendancy towards anxiety & panic once you have the disorder. How comforting, right ??

I have been reading some very good things about Lexapro- please post how you do with it. I have been on Remeron since May & I'm not overly thrilled with how I feel. This is the first time I have ever taken meds besdies Xanax once in a while so it's all new to me still.
Good luck with the Lexapro- hope you feel better soon !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

mustlovedogs HB User
Re: 28 yr old with panic disorder for 11 yrs now

I'm 39 years old and have suffered from panic attacks and anxiety for as long as I can remember. In my late teens (18 or 19), I figured out how to get the panic attacks under control just as they started. That's not to say that over the years I have been living panic attack-free, because I have always had them, but I've been able to manage them (i.e., nip them in the bud when they started to surface). Then, at the beginning of this year, a bunch of stresses hit me all at once and I suddenly realized I couldn't control my panic attacks anymore. It was then that my GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) became full-blown as well. I believe it was really one feeding into the other to mess me up. Realizing I couldn't control my panic attacks as I had been able to for so long (20 years with a few ups and downs in there) threw my anxiety disorder into a very quick tailspin.

Panic and anxiety never "go away". You will live with them all your life, but as someone who has been able to manage them, and currently can't, I can assure you that it is normal for them to resurface. Once you lose control of one panic attack, you often have to retrain yourself to deal with them again. This is especially true if you also suffer from anxiety, because, as I said, one very often feeds into the other (the catch-22 thing).

Be assured, though, that although you will always have the disorder, it doesn't have to control your life. I went for a long time when it didn't control me. Understanding that a set-back isn't permanent is also important. (I have had to tell myself...you've done it before, you can do it again...very very often just to keep my courage up and dissuade the anxiety from overtaking me during this latest set-back of mine.)

Closed Thread