It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User
Question What is this??

ive always had some weirdy habit, i blink hard, twitch my nose, crack and pop lots of muscles and the list could go on. i notice that i blink hard when im exited or nervous.

the new thing this week tho is coughing...i suppose u could call it. i cant tell if i have an actual cough or its something else-anxiety wise. its like having a tickly cough-when really there is nothing in my throat and i dont need to cough. i just get waves of it through my throat, making me stop in mid sentence and like heave or sumthing, i cant talk-it looks actually more like i have a stutter and am trying to force the words out. ive had this before and my mom told me i was being stupid, it was another one of my weird habits, but i cudnt help it, i really felt a wave in my throat, sometimes id cough either unconsciously or just needing to. i cant explain it.i have to rush throught sentences at times so i can say what im trying too wihtout having one of these waves. i was thinking maybe its due to the fact i start my new University in 4 days,i dont know anyone and am naturally shy and nervous really, but im not that worried at the moment. im more exited i think-not anxious. is it one of them things were you dont know you are anxious consciously-or just a cough?? any of you experienced this, can you help please, thanx xox.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
Re: What is this??

I have those kinds of habits too, they're very annoying. I notice that mine act up if i'm in a stressfull situation...whether it's a happy sort of stress of an anxious one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
(male)

Marconis HB User

I recently posted a thread about "odd habit burts". Ever since my anxiety, I've noticed that I develop the most bizarre habits that come and go, and sometimes Ill do it for two days and never do it again. About a month ago I blinked tightly non stop it actually messed up my vision for a week. I still have this habit, and probably always will since I've had it all my life just never this much. I've noticed that my habits relate to illnesses that I think I "have". ie: If a symptom involves the throat, I swallow a lot for no reason, and I am doing some weird thing with my throat (and have been for about two weeks now and it really hurts) where I move it until I can feel the bone (if its called that) do some weird motion. I cannot explain it. Another is I move my neck back and forth to check if it cracks, because I have a brain malformation that causes neck popping/cracking. I have many other habits as well, but are very mild. I also developed a weird abdominal flexing type habit, like quick strains as if you were going to the bathroom. My final one is the opening and closing of my jaw. This is because I got my wisdom teeth extracted in June, and ever since Ive been checking to make sure my jaw is okay, even though I know it is.

Last edited by Marconis; 09-19-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User

Hey! i noticed alot in common from youre posts. i too do that abdominal flex of muscles, i also do it in my feet. i tense muscles in my arms for a length of time then let go or i lock my arms and legs out straight. and about throat noises i have a catalogue of those-its heard to explain i know, there arent any word to tell how you do it-it just happens. are you on any anxiety medication. this habit stuff doesnt hold me back-it just looks weird and people have asked what is wrong with my eyes cos i wont stop blinking. the only other anxity probelms i have is shyness, i think too hard about everything and have low self esteem. what do you think??? xox

Old 09-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
(male)

Marconis HB User

No, I am not on any anxiety medication. My family and freidns have asked me in the past why I am blinking so hard and often, and I just tell them that they're dry. Of course, this is not true. I have a little bit of social anxiety as well, I get nervous in simple conversations even with the closest of friends.

Closed Thread