It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Panic Attacks Awakening Me?

At least I think they are panic attacks. For the most part, I awake many nights around 2AM startled with pains in my belly. It then progresses to an icy feeling like cold shivers which progresses to anxiety, racing heart and sky rocketing blood pressure. 2.5 mgs of Xanax calms it all. Does these symptoms fall into a panic attack? Oh, I also feel like the skin on my face and neck are I guess you could call it, tingling. Last nite after the Xanax, the awful feelings went away but I layed awake for three hours, feeling ok but not being able to get back to sleep. What the heck is this. I have kept note of these symptom and see that this has been happening for a few years now. I'm freaking out! Panic, or not? I appreciate any support. Thanks. By the way, I'm 59/F past menopause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Re: Panic Attacks Awakening Me?

It's a panic attack. I have felt the same symptoms, upset tummy, like butterflies, sickly feeling, heart racing, hot and cold, tingly skin, just a terrible scared feeling all over. I've been there, and that's what your experiencing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Does anybody know can a panic attack also feel like I am going to die? I have this really weird feeling that comes over my whole body and I have noticed that my heartrate doesn't speen up though it just stays the same kinda slow especially at night. I thought your heart was supposed to race? Also can all of this anxiety make you have flu like symptoms, just achy and headaches and stiff neck? Been feeling this way for awhile. Please help someone.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

You guys are both TOTALLY having panic attacks. I'm telling you, these are the classic symptoms of what happens during a panic attack. You're not dying, but you're panicking.

Lolasmom, as I posted in your other thread, exactly the same thing happens to me sometimes. Even when I don't think I'm necessarily stressed out. I have no idea what causes it or what makes it happen, but I can tell you the same thing happens to me some nights. I also take a xanax and that tends to calm me down a little enough, so sometimes I can go back to sleep. But sometimes I can't because I'm too upset. Actually, sometimes I'll pick up a book and start reading but it can't be something too interesting or else I won't want to put it down, you know?

And Daisy, when I first started having panic attacks, I seriously thought I was dying because I didn't know what was happening to me. I thought I was having a heart attack and that I was going to drop dead any minute. That was 14 years ago when i was 18 years old and it's been like that since then, only I'm still alive. Which is, obviously, good, but it proves that all of my symptoms and my worry and panic is just all in my head. When I panic, I start thinking I'm going to die. But then when my panic ends then i realize that I'm fine. Your thoughts that you are having and the symptoms that you are feeling are exactly what all of us who experience panic attacks feel, at one point or another. So, you're feeling the same stuff that we are, too.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Bracelet.....for your info. I am curious though. Is Klonopin a drug that could work better than Xanax as I think I am having side effects that arent pleasant. Thanks for replies.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

I wanted to try Klonopin but my doc wouldn't prescribe it for me. She said she wanted me to stay with xanax because it has a shorter half-life (meaning that it stays in the bloodstream less time than the klonopin). I had a friend who used to take that for her anxiety and it worked so I wanted to try it but my doc won't let me.

So I don't have any experience with Klonopin but I have heard from others that they like it. The only thing for my doctor is that I guess she didn't want me to take it and have it be still active for too long and have me take it again or something. I don't know?

Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Thanks Bracelet~I really appreciate you writing back. It makes me feel better to hear you say that you have experienced these symptoms. I am just so frustrated and I wish the anxiety would just go away. Night time is always the worst for me especially at bedtime. I keep reaching for the ativan to try and fall asleep but that doesn't always work. Do you know of anything else I can do to get my mind off of the panic and go to sleep? Also, is that weird that my heart doesn't race when I get that feeling of dying? I feel my pulse and it feels slow when it happens. Is that still a panic attack? Well, thank you again I am so glad that I have someone to talk to about all of this.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Sometimes it helps if you keep a journal where you write about all of the thoughts that are in your mind that are keeping you awake. Getting a really soothing CD that has calming music helps, if you keep it at a very low volume, just at your hearing level. Do you know what I mean? Not too loud but not too soft, just so you're barely hearing it.

Deep breathing works wonders to calm panic as well. My nutritionist told me that when I'm feeling anxious, I should try to take a really deep breath and hold it for about 4 seconds and exhale for 4 seconds and repeat that about 3 or 4 times.

And i don't know what your spiritual beliefs are, but I find that praying helps me ease my mind a little, enough to help me to at least fall asleep.

But as for staying asleep, I haven't gotten that down yet. I've woken up out of a sound sleep with my heart racing and without any idea why. I have to figure that one out.

You asked about whether or not your pulse needs to be racing for it to be anxiety, and I believe the answer is no. I believe that, while we all experience sort of similar symptoms of panic, that it's kind of still individualized for each person. There have been many times when I've woken up panicky only to reach for my blood pressure monitor and find that my blood pressure is normal and my pulse is actually a lot lower than normal, but yet I feel like it's racing out of control. I can't really explain it, I just know it's another symptom of my anxiety.

I hope that helps. Just know that there are a lot of people out there who are having the same kinds of fears and thoughts and wondering what's wrong. And I think I can speak collectively for everyone on this board when I say that we all wish our anxiety would just go away.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi There - last nite I slept. Don't want to jinx myself though. I didn't take Xanax as I have a feeling it's causing me problems, so I tool 2.5mg of Valium, plus I drank Camomile tea (spell check?) and luckily, I didn't wake up with a "start." I also live in NY and yesterday I met my daughter and being in NYC we walked a lot so therefore I am thinking the exercise was a good thing. I live in a suburb of NY and walking isn't as much fun as it is in the Big Apple. I guess if I lived there, walking would be my #1 priority. So therefore, maybe exercise is a valuable tool in the effort to combat anxiety. Has anyone found that it works? I hate relying on medication. There are just so many awful side effects that cause WORSE ANXIETY. Go figure?

Old 09-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #10
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Thanks Bracelet~I really appreciate your advice. I have been so scared lately. I will try the CD and see if that works at night. Good luck to you and everyone on here, I will say a prayer for everyone.

Closed Thread