It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

Fiona84 HB User
Stupid heart palpitations!

Hi all,

I have been getting such bad heart palpitations the past week. I constantly feel like my heart is racing or skipping beats or both! It does it quite a bit after a eat and in the middle of the night. Does anyone else have it at these times?

I've told my doctor and she finds it really bizarre that they only seem to occur at these times. I am supposed to stop eating and sleeping ?!?!

I've had two EKGS, an Echo, and numerous blood tests. I even got taken to ER in an amulance because my heart started beating erratically at work and I thought I was going to go into Cardiac Arrest. I guess that is my real concer- that my heart is just going to stop!

Every test they've done has always come back normal, and from what I understand an Echo with doppler is a pretty good detector of heart disease. If my heart is healthy I just dont understand why these symptoms won't go away.

I'm trying really hard not to "have" anxiety, but I cant help it when this happens.

The following user gives a hug of support to Fiona84:
runningfrmyself (05-04-2011)
Old 09-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Re: Stupid heart palpitations!

Hi There - I too am having what you describe. I've had it for a few years and totally believe now that it's all stress/anxiety related. The middle of the night wake up calls are the worst. Along with the palps I use my bp monitor and see such high numbers it's more frightening than ever. I wish I had an answer why this happens to us during the night. My friend told me our subconsous takes over and therefore our anxiety from that day, or our stress, is relived. Who knows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
(female)

Fiona84 HB User

Thanks,

Yeah, I just hate it when I'm trying to sleep!

I also get light-headed when I get my racing heart and heart-palps. I'm so worried I'm just not going to wake up when I finally go to sleep.

The following user gives a hug of support to Fiona84:
nicklyn33 (11-29-2011)
Old 09-21-2006, 04:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

have had GAD and PTSD for years so you can imagine the panic and anxiety. just started about 6 mos ago withthe palpitaions. nothing stops them have tried beta blockers and they make me feel awful. i think the palps are the worst symptom.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
(male)

SoccerDad HB User

I've had Anxiety Disorder for several months. I take .75 to 1 mg Clonazepam daily, and that helps, but sometimes I still have to take a .25 mg Xanax if I'm having some panic symptoms. My symptoms are all the ones that you describe: racing heartbeat, rise in blood pressure, and palpitations. I just had a panic attack the other night (about 7:00 pm, after I ate dinner) where I had 4 or 5 of the heart "flip-flops" within a few minutes. I know that they're PVC's and that they're supposed to be harmlesss, but they still scare the heck out of me, and that just spirals the anxiety into a higher level. I run about 20 miles a week, so I know my heart is fine, but it's tough to deal with sometimes anyway.

Hang in there. There are so many of us going through the same thing.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

I am sooooo glad to read your posts. I have had anxiety for 15 years now and pac's and pvc's for 6 years now. I had 2 holters, many EKG's and one Echo done. They told me that only getting 200 pac's or pvc's a day is nothing! My echo showed a mild mitral valve prolapse, but all dr.'s say that is nothing too, no big deal! I've been to 2 cardiologists, and 3 GP's. My latest episode is last week when I woke up at 12:30am with my heart rate going 140, and my heart skipping every 5th beat. I was hot, felt nauseated, and couldn't catch my breath. My husband took me to the ER because nothing I did could get my heart rate to go down. I tried all the techniques I've learned over the years to calm yourself down. As soon as I get to the ER, my heart goes down to 115, and no skipped beats! I was so frustrated, because they just looked at me and said nothing is wrong with my heart. The other day it happened again to me, fast heart rate with the skipped beats. So I went to a female cardiologist yesterday, thinking that she would take me seriously. She was HORRIBLE!! She told me nothing was wrong, and that I wouldn't have any symptoms from my mild mvp, and told me to get on their treadmill so they can see what my heart does when it's stressed. OK, I immediately panic because I don't want my heart to start skipping, and of course, it immediately does. They wanted my heart rate to get up to 189, and I got it to 130, and quit. They did pick up about 10 pac's before I quit, but they didn't care. They were mad at me, which made it worse. So I don't know what to do, because I'm still scared, with no answers, and yet my heart is still skipping, right now, with racing heart. I am going to my gp on Monday and begging for anything, whether it is a beta blocker or anti-anxiety. I can't live like this. I enjoy knowing I'm not alone though, helps a little. Michelle

Old 09-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

Hello! My heart races often, too. My heart rate usually runs in the high 90s/low 100s even at rest which is normal for me but sometimes my heart rate will jump to the 130s/140s when I'm nervous or after I eat. I also get PVCs occasionally. I've had EKGs and a Holter monitor. My cardiologist told me I'm fine and I need to stop worrying...easier said than done. Anxiety is such a nasty, hateful thing. It really amazes me what it can do to my body.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
(male)

Icy HB User

If everything came out 'perfect' you will just have to accept there is nothing wrong. Yes I realize this is much harder than it is to tell someone - I've been there.

I had chest pains all the time and had a racing heart and 'skipped' heart beats for about a month and a half before seeing a doctor. At this time I had freaked myself out and I 'had' to have something wrong so only being a teen they only check my blood pressure and listen to my heart. Everything comes out ok and I 100% believe them although it put me a little at ease.

Well, before I started to get anxiety attacks I joined my schools soccer team. My mom knew there was nothing wrong with me and forced me to still go to it (although the first few days I "KNEW" I was going to have something bad happen). Time when on and I realized maybe nothing is wrong and now I have almost no problems. I still get a little weird chest pain but my doctor says it might just be costocondritis

Summed up - If those picked up nothing it is just about guarenteed to be anxiety. Don't try not to have anxiety attacks (I imagine you meant the attacks) because it will only make them worse. It's just anxiety and harms you in no way so if anything do more things that make you laugh or have fun.

Btw - [sarcasim] Yes, You can never sleep or eat again that should solve it. [/sarcasim]

Old 09-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
(female)

kidd123 HB User

Just want to share my experience with you guys...about 15 yrs ago had my first experience with waking up in the night with heart rate of 140. My husband called the dr on call and he suggested to bear down--like when you try to have a bowel movement. Worked immediately for me. Also just last Jan I went to Urgent Care because I had irregular heartbeat all day and was starting to get sick to my stomach. They did an EKG which showed PVC's and called an ambulance to take me to the hospital. The blood tests showed no heart attack, but they admitted me for more tests. When I got home, I wanted to learn more about PVC's and found that they are often caused by chocolate & heat. Well, just so happens that I had been given a big box of chocolates for Christmas & was
spending a lot of time on a heating pad. When I quit them, no more PVC's.
It seems that there are many causes of irregular heartbeats, such as caffeine, hormones, stress & even-over-the-counter meds. Just want to reassure others who are also like me prone to anxiety and panic & suggest that you try to analyze what might be in your diet or lifestyle that would precipitate these episodes. It could be something very simple. Hope this helps ease your minds.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

It seems as if a lot of us anxiety sufferers have heart issues. I have had many tests and they tell me there is nothing wrong with my heart. However - the minute I get out of bed every morning my heart takes off. Before I was on beta blockers it would go up to 120-140, now it is usually between 80-100. Unfortunately during the rest of the day it is between 45-60 which really drives me nuts. I also get these horrible "spasms" where it feels like my heart just flip flops around in my chest for a couple of seconds and stops. Then everything goes back to normal. Those used to throw me into a sheer panic, but I have learned to just let them pass. My main concern is the morning. It happens EVERY day - even on the weekends when I get to sleep in and not have to go to work. I find it very hard to believe it is just anxiety. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel for all of the rest of you that have to deal with these issues. Take care.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

I had an annoying episode of these yesterday. If it's any consolation, I am 31 years old (32 next month) and I've had these freaky beats on and off since the age of 14. My mom and sisters have them, too, and (surprise!) they are also anxious people. My grandfather, who wasn't anxious, had a very skippy heartbeat which he said he could rarely feel, but docs found it in checkups and on EKGs. When he went for his Army physical signing up for WWII, he said the doc told him "Well son, you've got an irregular heartbeat but the Germans will kill you a heck of a lot faster than that will!" My grandpa died in his late 70s of another illness (probably would have lived longer if he hadn't smoked most of his life). Like Leela on this board, I have a tachycardia that is exacerbated by standing and changing positions. It could be POTS, it could be nothing important. My cardiologist (and primary care docs before him) put me on beta-blockers to control the heart rate and since they work and my tachycardia is just normal sinus tach (the kind you experience when you exercise or become excited, etc.) they aren't concerned about it. Without meds it was exhausting for me, though, because when your heart is beating about 150 just from standing, you sort of feel like you're exercising all day long when you're just trying to get dressed or do the dishes or something! The skips and flip-flops are commonplace to me now, but when they occur frequently, they still scare me. While there are definite things to avoid (such as the things that have been mentioned like caffeine, stimulants, etc.) many people report that these things just come out of the blue, so don't worry too much if you're avoiding all the "triggers" and still have the skips. It happens. Also, everyone please be wary of cold medications, over the counter diet aids, energy drinks, basically anything that may have any sort of stimulant in it. If you're unsure, ask the pharmacist or look it up online. Another reassuring story: my husband is a soldier, super fit, runs all the time, and he has a "normal" yet sometimes irregular heartbeat. He usually can't feel it and he is cool as a cucumber (which is how you want a soldier to be!) so he doesn't worry at all about it, but he says that when he drinks too much caffeine from working long hours and especially when he drinks energy drinks, he can feel his heart doing weird things. Then he still doesn't worry! I'm so jealous!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
(female)

Fiona84 HB User

This is all very reassuring. It realkly makes a difference to know you're not alone.

The thing with me is, even after I have all these tests I can still find an illness online they could have missed. Right now its long qt syndrome, which causes sudden cardiac arrest. I read that they miss it on 10-15% of EKGs so I am convinced I am one of those 15%!! I wish I had never even read it online. But then I think, "What if I read it online for a reason and now I'm meant to make sure its taken care of".

A friend of friend just died from cardiac arrest, and she was only 21 (I'm 22). It REALLY scared me, because this what all of us are afraid of I think and then I see it actually happen.

I'm embarrased to go to back to my doctor. I have seen her 5 times over the SUMMER!! So I kind of want to see a different doc because I'm embarrassed but they won't have my med history so it will harder for them to diagnose/help me.

I was offered beta blockers but didnt want them. Now that I know they work on 70% of people with this long qt syndrome i want them .

It IS reassurring to hear from all of you,so thank you.

Last edited by Fiona84; 09-22-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Fiona
I really doubt you have long qt syndrome.For one that usualy runs in families,two a decent cardiologist or even technician would be able to idenfity long qt on an EKG.Lastly,people with long qt syndrome tend to pass out during moderate to heavy activity.I worried of long qt too.Anyway,if your mind cant be eased maybe call your doctors who gave you the EKG and ask them if they checked for long qt syndrome and if they did'nt ask to be checked for another EKG to be checked.
I don't get the racey heart but I did all day everyday through one of my pregancies even sitting my heart pounded away and I had bad shortness of breath could'nt even get a sentence out without running out of breath.I do however have and have had (only it more often now) PVC's my heart will suddenly quiver,skip,pause,or flutter.I have also had this in the middle of the night even jumped out fo the bed one night cause a big chest pain and another night cause of a huge heart quiver.This has been going on off and on for yearssss since i was a teen and im 32 on the 29th of this month I believe you will be alright!

Old 09-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Add me to the list of having PVCs/SVTs. Have had them since I was a teenager and was diagnosed when I was 20 in college and physically active.
Heart rate was over 250bpm and they couldn't get an exact number because it was so high. I was told I would grow out of it.
Been on beta blockers ever since, and didn't have episodes for five years until this past new years eve. Also, had even stopped smoking for a year. New Cardio doc changed meds and had 3 through June. Saw him in July and he could tell I was having a panic attack in his office. 2 ER vists w/EKGs, an Echo, a thallium stress test, and nothing is wrong with my heart. I have been seeing a therapist and taking xanax once a day and no SVT/PVCs since. My dad died when I was 20 and after talking with therapist, I haven't expressed my independence to my mother. She thinks that has been my issue all along and then stopping smoking and stress from buying a home built it all up again. And when I think about it, she is right.
I would suggest to go to a therapist and talk it out. They can help you figure out what the real problem is causing your anxiety.
You are definately not alone in the world, and there are many other people out there that are worse off than we are.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User

Just reading the post here and I am amazed. I am new and have been on the heart board, on the menopause board looking for answers to my pvcs. I had a friend mention anxiety, so I came here. I dont think I am anxious. I have problems but nothing more or less than usual. I have heart palps some days ALL day long. Nothing stops them. Some days none at all. This started about 2 weeks ago and has me in an uproar. I had an EKG which showed heart palps...(surprise!) and now am being referred to a Heart Center...next week. If PVCs are harmless why am I going for more test? If this is common in anxiety why did the dr not question me about what is going on in my life? Why was anxiety not mentioned? I was told only if I had chest pain to go to the ER. No pain at all, just palps that make me crazy!!

Closed Thread