It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #1

freedomforce HB User
Post Anxiety,Gerd,Paranoia

I am a long time Gerd Sufferer and never thought much of it. I went through some trauma in the past few years and began to experience anxiety. I was prescribed Wellbutrin by a general practitioner about 2 months ago and it helped me bunches. I've noticed when my Gerd is really bad that my anxiety begans to kick up exponentially to the point were I experience Paranioa and began to wonder if I'm having a breakdown.
My typical anxiety attacks encompass a sense of doom and seem to be momentary..However when the Gerd flairs up I get a very gloomy outlook and sometimes wonder if I'm not being poisoned by some environmental factor or even like someone is poisoning my food. I don't believe this for a second but the best way I can describe it is that it "feels" like it could be possible like how your thoughts aren't straight when your feverish. It bothers me alot because Paranoia is often associated with serious mental disorders. I hate feeling this way because it makes me worry about a breakdown. Anyone else ever experienced Paranoia with run of the mill anxiety? Anyone with Gerd/Anxiety that has these problems?

Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User
Re: Anxiety,Gerd,Paranoia

Hi,

I have GERD and have also experienced anxiety. I have had biofeedback treatments to help out with my anxiety and started back up on Aciphex
for my reflux. I do somehow think that anxiety can make the GERD worse.
However, you mentioned that you had started taking Wellbutrin - have you
told your dr. about these feelings of paranoia? Did you have them before you started taking the Wellbutrin? Just a thought here. Hang in there - I know it's scary sometimes - anxiety can cause all kinds of strange symptoms and take its toll on your body. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

danni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #3

freedomforce HB User

I told my GP that I was having anxiety and specifically of some strange thoughts that were a bit paranoid. I told her I didn't believe the thoughts but I was concerned. She put me on Wellbutrin and it took away much of my anxiety and 98% of the paranoid thoughts but my gerd returned and so did the Anxiety,Sadness and Paranoia. Scary Stuff. Thank you for your prayers.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
(female)

olderlady2 HB User

I have pernicious anemia and have developed GERD, severe gastritis, and hiatial hernia. I have always been prone to anxiety but have been really good for years expecially since reading Claire Weeks books. But when all these stomach issues hit my anxiety went through the roof. It sure seems to me that the digestive issues caused the anxiety. I am taking xanax and it helps a lot. Also protonics.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
(female)

GurlyGurly_17 HB User

Wow, I'm glad that I'm not the only person who has a digestive disorder that causes them anxiety. I think that people might think I'm crazy. I'm not sure if I actually have anxiety because I've never been diagnosed...but I was diagnosed with slow motility, IBS, and possibly Crohn's disease and im in pain everyday. So I had some questions for you if you don't mind, because I feel like I can relate to you since you're dealing with a digestive problem too...does it ever make you feel like you just wanna stay home and do nothing? I know that's a weird question but I feel like i have no motivation to do anything, and then if there is something that I want to do, I get anxiety before I go out and do it...I guess I just don't know how to put it into words. I guess my question is, what kind of symptoms do you have with anxiety and how to you feel mentally (not physically..)? sorry if this is too personal lol...and I really hope you feel better soon!

Old 09-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

Wow...my mom has been telling me all along that my anxiety is due to my stomach. I have GERD. I've really had it as far back as childhood but it has only been on and off until about a year ago when it was so bad I had to start taking Prilosec. The Prilosec does help but my heart still races after I eat a big meal and whenever I eat something that causes some reflux, like salsa or something acidic, it makes my heart race which in turn causes anxiety. I also get a lot of pains in my chest at times. At the beginning of course I thought it was my heart but now I think it is my GERD causing it. Last night I had horrible sharp pains in my chest. They are only fleeting pains that only last a second and then they are gone, but it really scares me. I do know that anxiety can increase digestive problems but I really wonder which came first, the anxiety or the GERD??? Interesting....

Old 10-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
(female)

olderlady2 HB User

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one dealing with anxiety and digestive problems. My doctor doesn't think the two are connected, but I know they are. The way I feel is not relaxed in most everything I do. All the things I used to do from housework to reading a book I don't do in my old peaceful way. It makes me really sad. I seem to have a horrible combination of fatigue and anxiety. Going out anywhere scares me because I don't know how I'm going to feel. I have tried going on shopping trips (something I used to love) one time so far it has turned out that I felt like my old self the other three or four times it was awful. Truthfully I can't tell whether it's because my digestive problems are making me feel bad or anxiety. I was in a drugstore and suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe so I hurried home.That I know is anxiety.I also exercised and then ate a pretty big breakfast one morning felt sleepy afterward but went grocery shopping with my husband anyway and I continued to feel sleepy in the store so of course I panicked thinking I was having a stroke or a brain tumor . Things just haven't been the same since the digestive problems began. I hope that answers your question.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
(male)

bynobody HB User

Hey yeah I get paranoid thoughts all the time. The fact is EVERYONE does get these thoughts, I think its normal for our age considering all the bad news we read we are made into anxiety ridden and questioning people. I have thoughts all the time that there might be LSD or some other drug in the food I'm eating, or this might be the time I left my drink alone and someone put E in it...or its that COFFEE thats doing it to me, or that lack of vitamins and OJ, etc etc etc.

When we feel really anxious we have to rationalize it in some way and thats the way our brain goes. But I know deep down those thoughts aren't true. Its possible for these things to happen of course (Ive read about times they did, thats where the fear comes from) but they probably aren't. In fact every time I go through a drive through I HAVE to check my food for spit or anything else that MIGHT BE there.

Just try to ignore those thoughts. They are simply your mind reacting to an unsafe and sometimes insane world. You aren't the crazy one. You're just afraid. Try not to be so fearful and try and eliminate negative thoughts.

Closed Thread