It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
(male)

652 HB User
Bloated after eating. Heart Racing! Help!

I know this sounds like it should be in the digestive disorders ****, but the docs keep tellin me I might have anxiety.It started 2 months ago. I ate a huge mexican meal and went to sleep. In the middle of the night I woke up with this crazy pressure in my stomach and chest. My heart was also beating out of my chest. I got really scared. I went to the hospital and over the next few weeks did all the tests. Heart is fine. Had Barium swallow upper GI - results were normal!!?? Over the last 2 months this has happened to me 5 TIMES!!! This is what happens: I eat a regular size meal and all of a sudden get this pressure like the food went nowhere and Ihave to burp - but can't! It doesn't go away and I have to fast for the next few days till it goes away otherwise any little food I eat brings more pressure and heart beating out of my chest. I nurse myself back with tiny amouts of food for days and as soon as I am almost back to eating a full meal it happens again!!I just had an endoscopy done and am waiting to hear the results. I am afraid the doc is going to say it's normal. I think I may of heard him say this during the procedure(but I was knocked out) Sorry about the length of this, but I have lost almost 40 lbs in the last 2 months(used to weight 175, now 145 and am 5'9" male 32yrs old).
Please help. Any ideas do I change my diet even more, go for more tests. Help. I used to love food, but haven't had a decent meal in 2 months!!!
Anyone have this with anxiety also? I am on Xanax, but still having problems...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
(female)

Fiona84 HB User
Re: Bloated after eating. Heart Racing! Help!

I tend to get a racing heart when I eat a big meal too. I dont have the other symptoms but I do have the racing heart.

I have had heart diseased ruled out as well, so I'm as lost as you as to whats causing it. It makes me think Im going to have a heart attack or somethign and its very frightening! Let me know what you find out. Take care.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
(male)

Marconis HB User

Based on what I have learned in Health and Bio classes throughout school, the heart naturally beats faster after we eat to raise our body temperature, thus making digestion easier. Im not sure if that is totally correct, Im no science major . Anyway, I have been getting bloated a lot more recently, even after tiny meals. You say that it all started after eating Mexican food, then going to sleep. Your body did not have enough time to adjust (you did not mention having a bowel movement, so Im assuming you didn't) so you woke up with a huge stomach ache and stuff, which is probably now the spark of your anxiety. I don't really have this kind of anxiety, sorry I couldnt be of much assistance, and told you things you probably already know

Last edited by Marconis; 09-20-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

If all tests are normal & the problem persists , ask your GI doc for a gastric emptying study. It takes a few hours as they give you something small to eat ( oatmeal or scrambled eggs) with some radioactive stuff in it-- they follow with xray to see how quickly your stomach empties. I'm surprised they didn't do that test first because of your symptoms.
Hope you feel better soon. Try eating very small meals several times a day-- healthier way to eat for all of us actually.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
(female)

care_berry HB User

Hi there. Sorry you have been feeling so terrible like this and you are not alone. I have similiar problems at the moment. Just like you, doctors haven't been able to find anything wrong with me so I decided to see a medical intuitive and now am finally getting help. Found out from this lady that I have IBS and that my body has been treating all foods as if it were allergic to them. Sounds kinda strange I know, but it makes sense since I have also been losing weight like crazy too. Instead of eating acidic foods because I have been acidic for too long, I must eat plenty of raw salads, lightly steamed veggies and a little chicken, fish, or turkey for protein. Supplements as well. I really suggest that if you can't find answers, go the alternative path.

Now, I have the heartbeating/anxiety thing as well. Mine apparently has been caused by my pituitary gland not sending the correct messeges to the adrenal glands, making the adrenals overwork themselves. When this happens, it can cause the heart rate to go up and for people to feel nervous much of the time. I am going to be seeing a naturapath as I am told they can help correct these types of imbalances.

Anyways, I hope this didn't sound too strange to you and that I didn't scare you away. I really hope that this was helpful to you. Good luck, and I know you feel terrible, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
(male)

652 HB User

Thank you guys for the replies. They help more than you know. I see my Gastro doc next tue for the results of my endoscopy. I will let you know how it goes. Any of you get bloated after small meals even and have pressure like you need to burp - but can't? This is so weird! I don't know if the gastro thing is causing anxiety or if anxiety is causing the gastro thing. Do any of you take anything for anxiety. I am taking Xanax, but would rather do something natural. Matbe I need to meditate???!! I just wanna eat like a normal human again one day!!! Take care.

Closed Thread