It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

mustlovedogs HB User
Is your anxiety heriditary?

My therapist has told me that my GAD (among my other illnesses...panic attacks, OCD, depression) are heriditary. I never really realized it before, but these illnesses run all through my family on both sides. My mom has suffered from panic attacks, GAD and depression, my sister has pretty much the same stuff I have, my brother is alcoholic, but does suffer from depression. On my dad's side, I have two cousins and an aunt who are for sure GAD, OCD, depressed or all of the above. My son has ADHD and OCD. My mom was actually born in a mental institution to a schizophrenic mother. Her mom (my real grandma, but since she was raised by an aunt and uncle, I know *them* as my grandparents) lived most of her adult life in that institution and eventually died there.

Do any of you know if your illness(es) are heriditary? Have you ever examined it? It never really occured to me until my therapist told me, but once I looked at it, she's so right. All I know is I've suffered from my illnesses for as long as I can remember. It kinda takes the edge off of feeling like I'm some abnormal freak by knowing that it's heriditary and not my fault. It's all mom and dad's fault after all! I don't blame them, of course, but it helps to know it's not just something wrong with me that doesn't have any rhyme or reason.

Here's a funny side note (and, yes, we're from the south): My dad traced our family roots a while back and, you guessed it, about six generations back, mom and dad have the exact same married couple in their family trees. We're inbred! LOL Could that be the root of the problem? If nothing else, it's worth a chuckle...

Last edited by mustlovedogs; 09-21-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Is your anxiety heriditary?

HAHA on the side note

anyway, yeah I do think the same with me.My mom is bipolar her mom is bipolar and her dad was bipolar.My dad is I dunno what lots of mental stuff going on there lol and his dad was the same way.I do however feel extremly lucky to only be diagnosed thus far with anxiety disorder.Hopefully that is all I will ever have to worry bout far as my mental health.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 09-21-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Mine is not hereditary. That is why my new Dr. whats to investigate a litttle deeper as to why I have anxiety/panic. I don't have the attacks anymore but I have all of systems that go along with it.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
(female)

mustlovedogs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmomofive
HAHA on the side note

anyway, yeah I do think the same with me.My mom is bipolar her mom is bipolar and her dad was bipolar.My dad is I dunno what lots of mental stuff going on there lol and his dad was the same way.I do however feel extremly lucky to only be diagnosed thus far with anxiety disorder.Hopefully that is all I will ever have to worry bout far as my mental health.
I often wonder about that, too...with my real grandmother being schizophrenic. I've had my share of concerns (hypochondria sets in) with trying to attribute my anxiety to schizophrenia. But if I were schizophrenic, would I be aware of it enough to look up the symptoms? Probably not. (At least, that's my logic trying to override the illogical anxiety.)

My therapist thinks my sister (from what I've described of her) may be bipolar, but that's not an actual diagnosis, just an "I wonder..." from my therapist.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

I think my anxiety has a definite genetic component. I have countless relatives from siblings to my mother to aunts and uncles and cousins with various anxiety disorders. I didn't even know some of these people that well until I was an adult, so I don't think all the anxiety behavior was "modeled" for me, I think it's just in our genes. I also think anxiety, like many illnesses, has various causes and precipitators. I must admit that I feel sort of, um, handed the short end of the stick, though, because you can't really change genes. Most of my anxious relatives have managed to have pretty normal lives, a couple (mostly the older men) have resorted to being hermits, "treating" their symptoms with avoidance and alcohol.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

My anxiety is absolutely hereditary. My dad is a worrier and had panic attacks that started in his 30s. My anxiety got bad in my 30s, too. My dad says I sound like a carbon copy of him. My grandmother and aunts on the other side of my family have anxiety, too. My mom has it too but she won't admit it. My sister has issues, too, like OCD. My daughter also has anxiety that is pretty bad. Poor thing, she's only 8. It actually makes me feel better that other people in my family have the same thing as I do. It's nice to be able to talk to them about it.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

My anxiety is definitely hereditary! My dad and brother both suffer from it worse than I do. Makes me wonder if I really want to have kids. Do I really want to pass this on to another human being?

Old 09-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela_C
My anxiety is definitely hereditary! My dad and brother both suffer from it worse than I do. Makes me wonder if I really want to have kids. Do I really want to pass this on to another human being?
Well, look at it this way: there are lots of worse things to pass on than anxiety, and some of history's great minds were thought to be anxious or at least pretty neurotic: it is said that Darwin would have never written his books if he hadn't become anxious and likely agoraphobic because he would have kept on traveling; Emily Dickinson was a decided,um, neurotic and probably agoraphobic and produced some of the world's finest poetry while locked away in her home, mostly her bedroom; those are just a couple of examples. I went to a genetic counselor once and also talked this over with a psychiatrist who was head of his dept. at a very respected hospital and he said "Look, if you have 10 children, one or two will likely have an anxiety disorder. If you have 2 or 3, your odds are much better!" That said, I come from a family of 6 children and half of us have been diagnosed with anxiety disorders. My mother's sisters have three sons between them, and none of them are anxious (though the mothers are). It's a roll of the dice, but remember, there is still some good living to be done even if you have anxiety. Heck, many people who are paralyzed or riddled with horrible systemic diseases still enjoy life. I have an uncle who has managed to survive lung cancer for about 8 years, had part of his lung taken out, is on oxygen, has limited mobility, and is a very upbeat guy. He's around to see his kids, give them advice, and he still enjoys life, and not only that---the world's a better place with him in it! Just some thoughts to chew on. While we want to give our (potential) children every advantage possible, sometimes it's the little imperfections that lead to greatness, or at least a great appeciation of life.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
(female)

mustlovedogs HB User

Amen, CircusSquirrel. Very well said.

My son does have ADHD, panic attacks since age 9 (he's almost 15 now) and OCD. He's not on any meds at all. Having suffered through panic attacks most of my life and having learned on my own how to manage them, I was able to teach him those techniques and he has been controlling them on his own and without meds for at least 4 years now. Because I've suffered through much of the same stuff he's now suffers from, I'm able to coach him and he's been able to control everything at a much younger age than I was. So, it's not bad to have children with the same thing, though you don't wish your children to have any illnesses. Just know that if they *do* end up with it, you'll have the knowledge, having been through it yourself, to help them through and make them stronger as a result. The younger the child when the coping skills are taught, the easier it will be for them to live with the illness. At least that's how it is for me and my son. I never kept anything from him either. I told him upfront at 9 when his symptoms started to develop what he had and that it was definitely manageable. He just had to learn how to do it.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Hye Circus that's a great positive post.Nice to hear all that so anxiety disorder can sometimes actualy be positive in a way.I know this firsthand because I certainly enjoy my life more then before (on the good days) and I have found out the mind is a very powerful thing.It is a challenge for sure to condition our minds to whoop the anxiety but it can be done.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
(female)

mishkaaa HB User

yup, my anxiety and depression and ocd are hereditary. 5 out of 6 of my moms' sisters have it.

Closed Thread