It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

ticki4 HB User
Question Switching from Klonopin to Ativan (withdrawals, anxiety and sleep)

I'm on day three of a Klonopin to Ativan switch and it's actually going pretty well. I have been taking up to 1 mg of Klonopin every day for the past 9 years. I have tried numerous times to wean off of it but have had very little sucesss. Well - I am having a lot of family issues and I guess the Klonopin wasn't working anymore. I guess this gave me more incentive to want to try something different.

So as of today I'm three days out. Haven't touched the Klonopin and am on 1 mg of Ativan at bedtime. I feel weird, a little anxious, like my skin is tingling, shaky, can't think very straight. But I am sleeping better... (the silver lining).

Has anyone else made this switch cold turkey. Any suggestions on how to make it smoother. Is what I am feeling normal and does anyone have any idea how long it will last?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I leave for vacation in a week and I shudder at spending a week at DisneyWorld feeling the way I do.

Thanks,
Ticki4

Old 09-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
(female)

ticki4 HB User
Re: Switching from Klonopin to Ativan (withdrawals, anxiety and sleep)

Well so much for the Ativan. I now have my psychiatrist and neurologist differing in opinions and telling me to do different things. Yesterday I started having severe anxiety and panic attacks on the 1 mg of Ativan. I am thinking that most of it is due to the Klonopin withdrawal. I took .25 of Ativan and it did nothing. Today I called my psychiatrist back and she wanted me to go up to 1 mg a.m., 1 mg afternoon and 2 mg., at bedtime of the Ativan. I called my neurologist (I also have epilepsy) and he thought that was a lot of Ativan. So - he recommended that I go back on the Klonopin taking .5 in the morning and 1mg at night. This is close to the dose I was originally on.

I have also started therpy to try to learn how to deal with these stresses and anxiety on my own. I would love to come off all this medication. Has anyone else has any similar experiences with these drugs and doctors differing in opinions?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

KArast HB User

Rather than treating your anxiety and panic attacks with strictly benzos, has your pschiatrist recommened perhaps starting you on an SSRI such as lexapro for your anxiety? After several weeks of this kicking in, then you can start to successfully wean off the klonopin at a very slow rate. Seems to make more sense than switching to as equivalently a high dose of ativan. JMO.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

ticki4 HB User

I am currently taking:
120 mg Phenonbarbital (for epilepsy)
1.5 mg of Klonopin (just went back on today) for anxiety
15 mg. of Prozac for Anxiety and Depression
10 mg of Ambien as needed for sleep

I tried Lexepro and LOVED it but I could not stand the lactose that is in it and after several weeks had to come off of it and go back on the Prozac. I have had similar reactions to a lot of the other SSRI's in that they either hype me up or make me extremely tired. I think a lot of it has to do with the way my body metabolizes and the fact that I have been on Phenobarbital for so long and it mixes with EVERTYTHING.

We are going through a tough spell with our adult daughter (23) and my mother has been given 30-60 days to live. I know I'm under a lot of stress right now and it was probably not a good time to try and change medicines. Of course, having two doctors wanting to do two different things doesn't help. I think for now I better stick with what I am most comfortable with. I don't care what anyone says.... you can go on anothe benzo but you are still going to have withdrawals. After just taking a .5 mg. of the klonopin today the anxiety has decreased 75%,

I'm hoping after all the smoke clears I can maybe switch to another medicine. What I would love is to not take any benzo at all.

-Ticki

Closed Thread