It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

Shazza68 HB User
Another method to distract

Hi everyone

I have had anxiety for the past 9 years and have had to deal with panic attacks for the last two years. I get palpatations, skipped beats, racing heart and dizziness quite often. I have just changed GP's as I feel my last one was not taking me seriously. He was putting everything down to anxiety/panic. Anyway this new doctor has told me of a way to distract my thoughts when I start to feel panicked are really axious. It involves seeing, feelling and hearing. You start by looking around at your environment (saying it aloud works better)

Look around you at 5 things you can see with your eyes
Example: I can see a computer screen, Book, keyboard, photo of my kids and a bottle of water.

Next list five things you can feel
Example: I can feel my fingertips on the keyboard, I can feel my bottom on the chair, I can feel my feet on the ground, I can feel my hair on my cheek and I can feel the breeze from the fan.

Next list five things you can hear.
Example: I can hear the buzz of the computer, I can hear the radio in the back ground, I can hear people talking, I can hear the tapping of they keysboard, I can hear the creaking of my chair.

Then you go down to I can see 4 things, I can hear 4 things and I can feel four things.

Keep doing this until you reach one of each and by this stage you are quite calm and distracted. It takes a bit of effort at first but it becomes easier to do as you practise.

You can do it anywhere or anyplace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Another method to distract

Thank you for this information. i will try it tonight. It is so nice when people write in with techniques!

Closed Thread