It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User
Fear of Anaphylaxis/Eating?

Does anyone have a fear of anaphylaxis that effects their eating? I get anxiety everytime I eat, even a food I know should be "OK". I still feel like it could happen at anytime from eating, smelling something, etc. Anyone else? What can I do to help? It's really interferring with my life!

Old 09-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User
Re: Fear of Anaphylaxis/Eating?

yes i used to have the same thing.. how did it start for you ?? i got hives and thats why i started to fear this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User

I had an allergic reaction last year and went to the ER where they gave me epinephrine. I carry and Epipen, I'm just afraid of things like...what if I pass out before I can use it? What if it doesn't work? How will I know if it's a panic attack or an anaphylactic attack? That sort of thing. I'm not allergic to things in general but I've somehow convinced myself that all foods are the enemy. I used to love food and eating, noe it just is a source of constant anxiety. I'm at a really unhealthy low weight and need to gain. I buy foods planning on eating them and just get too scared.

How did you get better?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User

did you get allergy tests?? do you have anxiety in general??

Old 09-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User

I have gotten allergy testing done and I'm allergic to a few things. The start of all of my anxiety was with my first anaphylactic episode. Now it's just over the top worry all the time when the risk is probably pretty minimal. I realize this but when it comes time to eat even a safe food I'm a mess. I'm not even to the point where I can add in foods to my diet because of the fear.

How did you get better?

Old 09-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Well I worried about this a little bit because I had never had allergies before and recently my lips have swelled up on me a few times after eating.I am trying to narrow it down to figure out what the cause is.I don't really worry about it now though I figure if that was to happen I would know something was seriously wrong before it got so bad and I would recieve help.I plan on seeing my doctor about the buffa lips I think it may be commercialized salts I dunno

Old 09-23-2006, 05:37 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User

I just replied to your allergy post about your lips. Good luck at the Dr!

This fear has really taken over my life and I just can't get it to stop. I obsess over food all day. I eat a very limited diet because I have cut out so many things along the way (admittedly probably needlessly) now I have trouble adding foods back in. My weight is really low and I need to fix this. I think that I'm strong enough on my own so I buy foods and plan on testing them and adding them back in. Once I'm home I just can't do it. I know this sounds silly, I just really can't control it. I do have an Epipen, I'm just afraid that I won't get to it in time or that I'll not take it because I think it's a panic attack or that it won't work, etc. I was just hoping that someone out there had this as bad as me and could help. I really do want to get better. This problem has given me full on anxiety all day long.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
(female)

GardenRobin HB User

FLME

I've just registered with this forum after seeing your thread. It was like seeing something i would have posted. I can only offer a sympathetic ear and/or support at this stage. I too have this fear though i've not had an anaphylactic reaction.

A few things have happened over the years, i worked in a first aid post once and saw a child develop anaphyalxis after a wasp sting (he was taken to hopsital and was fine), and a few other things....like my mother feeling very itchy and ***** after being given penicillin (although it went away quickly). I guess i've been going through a stressful time and i became focussed on the whole thing.

unlike you i am someone who can be quite anxious generally. However, i think the distress that i feel is similar to yours. i am actually going to see a psychologist tomorrow about this. I wasn't referred by my GP, i'm doing this privately because this has taken over my life (i'm even afraid to visit friends at the moment for fear that they will offer 'allergenic' foods). Anyway, if any of the work i do with the psychologist seems as though it might be of help to you i will post it here.

Did the hospital offer any advice or allergy testing? Must be frustrating not knowing what brought about your reaction. Did they say it could be a one off and that you'll never really know?

I do hope you get over this with time and regain your confidence with eating. i also hope you don't mind me posting in light of the fact that I have not had the reaction you had.

For me the recent trigger to my fear was that i had allergic symptoms whilst looking after a friends cats and birds. I had an itchy throat but i remembered someone saying that that's not good and i think i panicked on a few occasions whilst looking after the animals thinking it would become severe.

At the moment i'm doing as much information gathering as i can to try to understand the condition, the incidence of it occurring, etc. I don't know if you have any of that sort of information. The doctors don't seem to.

Anyway i'll let you know if anything helpful comes from working with the psychologist on this fear.

best wishes

Garden Robin

Old 10-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
(female)

GardenRobin HB User

Well today was just an assessment with the psychologist, but he said he'd do a bit of research into anaphylaxis and i will too. He said some cases may be down to multiple factors and then the probabilities of those factors occuring again are quite low....lower than if it were a single factor.

anyway not a lot of work done yet as it was only the first day. He has said to begin reintroducing foods back, but that i'm not to expect to enjoy the process. I suppose that helps in a way. I expect to enjoy eating and get flustered because i'm not and i'm avoiding, but to get over this i have to go through the not enjoying it stage.

Anyway, sharing this here in case it helps you at all.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 AM   #10
(female)

GardenRobin HB User

Well, i'm still struggling with this and i wonder how FLME is doing?

every meal time is a worry for me. So far the psychologist has told me to gradually reintroduce foods back into my diet, but it's hard when you think that you might react to that food......so i'm tending to eat the same old stuff all the time. It's going to be a nightmare when i get invited out to dinner again.

Hope i'm not hijacking your thread FLME, but this is a difficult one for me too. If anyone out there has any thoughts on what could help i'd be really grateful. Thoughts, or knowledge?

One thing that would reassure me is if i was told how unlikely it would be to get anaphylaxis from food, if i've not had a reaction before. Can't seem to find those sorts of figures anywhere. I expect for FLME, if he/she doesn't know what caused her reaction, then she would need some idea/reassurance on how likely it is to happen again. If they haven't found the culprit for the first reaction then perhaps that lowers the risk of a reoccurence, since the common culprits would have been ruled out?

Closed Thread