It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Is anyone taking Zoloft for Anxiety/panic disorder?

If anyone is taking Zoloft for Anxiety, I would love to hear how it reacted with you. I am supposed to start tonight, and like all of the other anxiety sufferers, am nervous to start. I'm scared it will create anxiety! Michelle

Old 09-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
(male)

hurting333 HB User
Re: Is anyone taking Zoloft for Anxiety/panic disorder?

Everyone and every med is different for every person. Give it a try and do not read the negatives that people have on this. You will find a med that works for you that it didnt for others.

I am on my last day of Zoloft today. I am switching to Lexapro

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
(female)

maili HB User

Michelle

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was logging on to ask the same question. I am supposed to start my zoloft regimen tonight as well but I chickened out. Keep me posted, let me know how it goes.

Good Luck.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hello,
Ok, I did take mine, (I had major anxiety up till the point that I figured I better do it before my husband commits me) Anyways, I was so scared. My Dr. wanted me to take a half an Ativan and then half of the Zoloft. I didn't take the Ativan, because I was already tired last night without any meds. So before I could talk myself out of it, I took it. I then went to bed and watched a movie. It did make me tired and a little dizzy, but a little relaxed too. I was up off and on all night with restless legs. This morning I am a dizzy and still tired, so I am trying to just stay home today and relax. The pharmacist said that it takes about a week to adjust to this, and that is why they gave me the ativan as well. I already want to quit, because of these little sensations, but I hate the way I am living now, so I am going to keep trying to take it and try to get better. What kind of anxiety do you have? I GAD, but also obsessed with my heart. I have pac's and pvc's and everytime I stand up, my heart rate shoots up to 130 with major skips. They are trying to see if the heart is due to stress/anxiety or also another issue. I read the other posts on POTS, and decided I have that, which doesn't scare me if I do. I would sometimes just like them to say, "yes, that is what you have with your heart" instead of them saying they just don't know, but are sure it isn't dangerous. I have much more anxiety than that, but this is my main one. I am also scared of heights, always worried about my health, seems like you name it, I have it. Good luck to you, let me know how it goes. Michelle

Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
(female)

maili HB User

Hey Michelle

Well I'm glad you were brave enough to take it last night. I'm sure it will help and even if it doesn't it is a step in the right direction . I still haven't gotten my perscription filled. I definitely need to do tomorrow. I wasn't sure what the side effects are and I haven't researched them because I'm worried I will focus on them but i was warned that the first week or so would not be enjoyable.
I've noticed a lot of people on the healthboards have a lot of anxiety about their health in particular their hearts. I had anxiety about my heart a few months ago but after my tests results were normal I stopped worrying and the symptoms subsided. Have you told any of the doctors youve seen for your heart that you are being treated for anxiety? I am wondering because as soon as I told the cardiologist about my anxiety and the tests were normal he was certain all my symptoms were psychosomatic and caused by anxiety.
The strange part is the minute I stopped worrying about my heart and let go of it the symptoms literally melted away. The brain is so powerful and it can be so tricky.
I also suffer from GAD and panic attacks and apparently OCD. I've suffered from anxiety since I was about 12 and I'm just now am to the point where I have no choice but to face it. Although it's always been a problem, in the past I've just lived with it or try to avoid anxiety inducing situations.
My anxiety finally got so bad that I had to drop out of law school. It was then that I knew my anxiety was no longer something I could pretend wasn't there.
Anyway, I'm really glad you were able to take your medication. I'm sure in no time it will begin to help. How many mgs are you on if you don't mind me asking. Also have you taken any other anti-anxiety meds in the past?

Take Care,
Maili

Old 09-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hello Maili,
I am on 50mg for 5 days, and then go up to 100mg after that. My Dr. told me the side effects aren't nice for the first week either, and I must say they suck. It isn't something that I'm enjoying for sure, but the only good thing is I'm not having a racing/pounding heart, and that I had for the last month straight. I hate giving up one problem for another, but I am praying that this is going to be the right medicine and will eventually help. I know I certainly can't drive anywhere like this, so I hope it eases up fairly fast. I'm not able to just stay home for a week until it kicks in. But, you may have no side effects, I seem to notice every little one, maybe my mind even makes them up. Get your medicine tomorrow, and take it, you can even get online and talk to me while you take it, until it kicks in and you know your not alone. My sweet sisters were on stand-by last night waiting for my phone call, but I never called them thankfully. Tonight is going to be a bigger battle because of my little side effects today. They aren't bad, just the common ones they list on the label, but we anxious people don't like anything! Of course, I also have the Ativan to take, but since this Zoloft already makes me feel out of it, I don't need anything else making it worse. I have asthma, and today it has been yucky, and tonight my arms started itching everywhere, so I am scared it is from the med. I hate the way I think and feel. My brain is my own enemy, and it is so hard to sort out the fact from the fiction. I have one more hour till I take my med, and I am trying to make myself keep taking it. (Sad) Please, do not let me scare you from taking your medicine, aside from my asthma and the weird itching, the other side effects will definetely go away and quite possibly make us feel much better. Michelle

Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
(female)

Digirb HB User

I had the same problem with being anxious about taking Zoloft for depression/anxiety. Everyone is different in their reactions to medication. For me, it took 3 weeks to adjust to Zoloft. I hated the way I felt. I was ready to throw them out when my husband reminded me that sometimes it takes that long to adjust. So I kept taking them. After the 3 weeks was up, I felt like a new person. The difference was amazing! Trust yourself and depend on any support people you have. You'll figure out what is best for you.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #8
(female)

Diane720 HB User

I've been taking zoloft for about 3yrs now.....and though I still have a lot of anxiety and scared of having heart problems....I don't have full blown panic attacks with this med. The first few weeks of side affects were a little rough....mostly headaches for me....but I got through them. But everyone is different and you may not have the same affects I did. Just give it a try and if it doesn't work for you....then you can try something else. Eventually something will help.

Have a great day.

Diane

Old 09-27-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
(female)

srl67 HB User

I started mine a little over 2 weeks ago and yes it takes some time for it to "work". Everyday I felt a little bit better than the day before. My 3 week mark is Monday. It makes me tired so I take it at night. At 4pm every day I have a slight headache. Weird that it is about the same time everyday. I noticed it is getting better too.

Good Luck on yours.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
(female)

cfos1 HB User

Today is my two week mark for taking zoloft....so far I am still having side effects that are making me want to quit right now...I was prescribed this because of anxiety and worry....I feel slightly better in the sense that my whole body does not feel like it weighs a million pounds...now just my head feels yucky....I feel really tired...am taking lunesta because zoloft gave me insomnia which I already had...but now it is more...still don't get a full night's sleep. I also got stomach issues...so I am taking protonix...that is helping... I also have gotten these strange tingling, *****ly burning sensations down my arms and back...they are less frequent....yesterday my head felt drugged...kind of foggy...today just so tired.....wish I knew what to do...quit or not...any of you who started this drug recently have any words of wisdom???

Many thanks.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
(female)

pookerss HB User

I have just finished my second week of taking Zoloft. I took 25 mg the first week and then uped it to 50 mg the second week. This is the second time I have taken Zoloft. I last took it 5 years ago for anxiety/depression and it really worked for me. I mostly have a fear of driving, waiting in lines/traffic, a little bit of argophobia.
The first week of Zoloft was just awful. My anxiety doubled. I had tremors for most of the day. I had insomnia and had dizzy spells. By the end of the first week I felt just ok. All of the side effects became less of a problem. I had tremors here and there. I was able to sleep through the night again. Still had a lot of anxiety though. Still not driving. I had spurts of energy here and there. Then I had to up my medicine to 50 mg.
This second week has been ok. No real big improvement. I have a lot of big mood swings. One moment I feel ok and I feel like the medicine might be working and then next moment I feel like crying. My depression has gotten worse this second week for sure. I think I'm just getting worn out of trying to stay positive and trying to be patient. I drove for the first time by myself yesterday but not today. I'm still going to work but barely. Everything is still pretty hard to deal with but I do have a few hours in the day where I feel ok to good.
I too have had thoughts of stopping the medication because I feel that I am much worse than when I started. Then I remember how well it worked for me last time and I just tell myself to keep going. It's going to take awhile to really kick in. The medicine is actually changing the chemicals in your brain. It's not an easy or a quick fix. If it was, we wouldn't need to take medication for our anxiety. I'm just going to keep going and hope that tomorrow is the day that I wake up and feel like a new person.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #12
(female)

cfos1 HB User

Keep us posted. Let us know if this helps you. I was prescribed zoloft for a return of anxiety. I would not say I am depressed just worry myself sick...
I have had so many side effects from this medicine that I feel I cannot take it anymore...I had bad stomach issues...and had to get protonix...and can only sleep with lunesta...and not for the whole night...I am so tired....I think I am going to go back to buspar I was taking before...it worked pretty well...and then I think it stopped...so I stopped taking it...maybe I needed more....I also have felt more jittery on the zoloft...

Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
(male)

JONO IN DARWIN HB User

Safe, effective, not habit forming.

If you find you get some insomnia in the early days, try a Unisom tablet before bedtime

Old 11-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #14
(female)

Amy D.J. HB User

I take Zoloft for Anxiety Panic Disorder, I been on it since May, I am currently trying to ween off of it, I am taking about 10 milligrams a day, I could never take more than 25 millgrams of this because anything higher like the 50 made me more anxious and panicky , the dose I take is good enough so good luck to you, I hope it helps you, it did change my way of thinking in a more positive way and life has gotten better, I still have my scary thoughts once in a while but I can get myself through them now, before I really thought I was going to go crazy, have a heart attack or stroke, or that death was at my door, I do know how you feel and it is a horrible feeling. Again good luck and god bless, I hope you feel better real soon. Amy D.J.

Closed Thread