It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
(male)

soulsticeskye HB User
Does anyone know what this is?

I've been getting these weird "panic attacks" ever since I was a kid. I think the first time I ever had one was probably when i was 8 or 9, and I randomly have them now at 23. My friends all tell me that it's high anxiety and anxiety attacks...but I want to know if anyone knows if there's a technical term or something. My "panic attacks" can best be described by the movie Requiem for a Dream ....when the mom moves at normal speed but the people and world around her movie in fast motion. Aside from that, sounds become extremely loud where a quiet tapping sounds more like a loud banging; my heart starts racing and pounding; my chest hurts and it becomes difficult to breathe; I become overwhelmed with a strange fear and worry. It all starts with a strange pressure in the back of my head. It's a weird horrible feeling that I just dont know how to stop and it always feels like i'm going to have a heart attack or something. I don't get these panic attacks often...when I was younger it used to be probably once a month...but now only once every 3 or 4 months, I just hate how its random and I have no control over when the next time it'll happen. I also cant even handle watching scary movies because I get high anxiety and my chest starts hurting. I don't have medical insurance and I dont think I can afford seeing a therapist or a doctor, and I don't take any medication or drugs...i dont think im crazy...at least i hope not...does anyone know what I have? I hate talking to my friends about it because somethimes I think they think I'm just crazy. Any comments would be appreciated...thanks a lot

-soul

Last edited by soulsticeskye; 09-25-2006 at 10:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 05:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Does anyone know what this is?

Well sounds like anxiety/panic but if at all possible I would get checked out by a doctor it is just better to make sure.Some have other health issues along with anxiety/panic.Maybe you could try going to your local health department and ask them if you could be seen there? They can very possibly work you in on a sliding scale fee.Also some doctors offices will work on sliding scale fees for those without health insurance...might be worth checking into.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
(male)

soulsticeskye HB User

hmm thanks a lot i'll definitely check into that...being self employed sucks not having benefits n all

Old 09-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

Hey Soul. Yea it does seem like you have some kind of anxiety/panic thing going on. I agree you should get checked out just to be sure. Do you notice what your doing when these attacks happen? I myself having been dealing with anxiety attacks for the past 5-6 years. I've tired the meds and they did work for me for a long time. Than I came off of them and I was good for almost 2 years. Than it came back with all the side effects. The chest pains, the shortness of breath, the headaches, feeling like my heart was going to explode. I can't tell you how many times I have been rushed to the E.R. thinking I was having a heart attack. I was like Jack Nicholson in that movie As Good As It Gets. I am now trying to deal with my attacks without meds. The best advise I can give you on how to deal with these attacks is to get control of your thoughts. Whenever you feel yourself having one of these attacks come on tell yourself "I am ok , I am healthy and these attacks can not hurt me" They say if you repeat these kinds of words to out loud to yourself while you rub your chest (making a circle by your heart) this will help your mind relax. Also try to concentrate on your breathing slow and steady. I hope at least some of this helps you out!!! Good luck and keep me posted!!
Jackie

Old 09-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
(male)

soulsticeskye HB User

thanks jackkey97 that sounds very useful...its hard to tell how long panic attacks last...mine would last anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes...the whole time I wouldnt know what to do to calm down but hope that it would just go away =\

Old 09-27-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

Trust me when I say I understand that!!! I used to just sit there...I still do at times...and wish that it would all go away. You pretty much have to retrain your brain to tell yourself your ok. It's hard I'm still trying to do it. Keep me posted!!!
Jackie

Closed Thread