It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Message for Boxerlover227

I was just reading your post that got shut down because it was talking too much about POTS and I wanted to share something with you. At one time, I was convinced I had POTS. I was so convinced that every time I stood up my heart raced. I actually had the tilt table test (and mine was not bad like Niki's - I don't know what they were doing to her) and I passed it. After that, my heart rate stopped going crazy when I stood up. I really think that I was so convinced I had it that I was making my heart rate go up when I stood up. Your heart rate should change some when you go from sitting to standing. POTS is diagnosed if it goes up more than 30bpm and stays there. I have talked to you a lot and I don't think you have this. And even if you do, it isn't life threatening.

My point is, your anxiety over this can really be causing your heart rate fluctuations. I am actually having a bad day myself, but when I saw your post I had to send you a message. Don't get yourself worked up over this. If you really think you have it, get a tilt table test. They aren't that bad. But I really don't think you have it. It is very rare. Plus, I don't think that xanax would help. I think the fact that xanax helps should put your mind at ease some.

I just wanted to tell you that the same thing happened to me and it turns out that I was bringing the symptoms on myself. You and I have a lot of the same stuff going on and know it isn't ALL anxiety, but some of it definitely is. I just felt so bad for you after reading your posts I had to post this. I hope it was enough about anxiety and it can stay open.

I hope you're having a better day today!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Re: Message for Boxerlover227

I hope you don't mind my commenting here. I am really glad you posted this, I think that our minds can play such tricks on us, it is so hard to separate the real thing. Sometimes the real thing is only anxiety, even though anxiety can actually cause the physical symptoms. I have really bad GAD right now, and have convinced myself that I have every known disease out there. I started the Zoloft last night, and am going to keep at it. I hope that it will work for me, and not have to switch to something else. I hate that there is no one magic pill for us, instead of having to try and see. Anyways, as far as your post you just did, it did help me immensely, and hopefully will help the others. I was one of those that posted in that other post, and it was amazing to see later on how all our anxiety just snowballed with our thoughts. I myself am tired of living in fear and want to get myself better. (I will of course have to tell myself that again tonight when it comes time to take the medicine, but hey, one step at a time, right?) Good luck, Michelle

Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Hi Leela~

(Big Hug) You are right after last nights obsession with this I realized that this is not something that happens ALL the time but most! My Anxiety really took over and after symptom checking of course I had it! I had to be reminded by my husband that anxiety and panic disorder can and will cause your hear rate to go crazy like this.. I was just concerned cause I notice that everyone on this board that also suffers from anxiety, doesn't really mention heart rates as fast as mine.. I know I was told over and over again that I have a very hypervigilant personality I am very anxious and always aware of my own body sensations since I had my first panic attack! I know I was over reacting last night, but I truly convinced myself that I had this as done in the past with so many other illness that resemble my symptoms..
I just hate feeling like this all the time, and only wish I could just be me again.. I know the dizziness is so unexplained and that causes me so much more anxiety, which in turn increases the dizziness, so you see I just can't win!!! I was just having a really bad night after suffering the last few days with vertigo and increased anxiety.. After my husband calmed me down last night and reassured me I was okay, and reading your post today I feel a little better.. Still floaty head feeling though Not so much on the boat today!!! (LoL) Thanks Leela your a and wonderful support for me here and on the other boards we speak on every word is appreciated! boxer

Last edited by boxerlover227; 09-26-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Smile Re: Message for Boxerlover227

Hi Michelle~
I am sorry you are going through the anxiety road as well. I just wanted to say thank you also for commenting on both post! I realized I am not alone in how I feel with this anxiety, when in fact last night I thought I was. I am usually aware that it is just my own mind trying to take over fear and last night that is exactly what happened. I suffer from panic disorder as well and I any little thing can set off the feelings of panic for me. I walk around in panic mode and I know that is where most of these symptoms are coming from.. Sometimes I just fall off track so to speak! I hope your medication can help you over come this monster, but just a word of advice keep talking! That's the best medicine I have found in my years of struggling with this disorder. Thank You again for all your support as well.. Boxerlover

Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hey ladies!

Michelle - I'm glad my post helped you. Anxiety is a beast! It really does make your mind play tricks on you. And you're right, it is too bad there isn't one pill that will work for us all. Xanax has really been a lifesaver for me, but even that doesn't help sometimes.

Boxer - I'm glad your husband was able to calm you down last night. I just felt so bad after I read those posts because I knew how you were feeling. I'm glad I was able to help some too. You said you tried a beta blocker before and the side effects were horrible. Which one did you try? I have been on inderal and I currently take bisoprolol. I was tired on the inderal, but not on the bisoprolol. The only thing with the bisoprolol is that sometimes my heart rate drops too low and then that causes anxiety too. Maybe you should give the beta blockers another try. My heart rate would go up to 140 before the beta blocker and that is totally exhausting - plus, it fuels the anxiety, which fuels the heart rate and so on. If you can keep your heart rate from going so high it might lessen your anxiety too. My bisoprolol is 5mg and I currently cut it in half and most days I even shave a little off of the half. I am very med sensitive. I took atenolol once and couldn't work for two days because I was on the verge of passing out. Anyway - I just wanted to tell you about my experiences with those in case you decide you want to try one again. I have some posts with CircusSquirrel on this board that we discussed beta blockers if you want to search by my name and try to find those.

I, too, hate feeling like this all of the time. If it's not the dizziness (which I DON'T think is anxiety) then it is my heart, or some pain somewhere, or whatever. But it is always something with me. I would give anything to feel like I did 4 years ago. I guess we just have to work through this. You are always a good support for me too. (Hugs)

Oh yeah - and I wanted to share something else with you. This morning when I woke up I took my pulse before I got out of bed. It was 54. After I got up and took my dogs out I took it again and it was 72. That, I would think, is pretty normal since I got up from sleeping and was moving around. Then, I had a cigarette and took it again and it was 104. Hmmm...sound familiar? I have to quit smoking, I know I do. I have about a pack and half left and maybe that will be it. I'll let you know.

I'm glad you're feeling better today.

LeeAnn

Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Leela~
I tried Toprol XL I have to say it really did calm me down. I just don't think I gave it enough time to get my body adjusted, I seriously am thinking of giving it another shot. I am like you with the fast heart rates, up and down.. Well before you started the beta blocker! You are so right it is exhausting!!!
I can run a heartbeat of 120~130's no problem on a anxious day..
I am ready when you are with the smoking, I NOTICED the same effect.
Normal heart rate 70~80's then smoke a cigarette and I am well over 100!!
AMAZING isn't it.. I thought smoking calms you down ..(lol) When you wrote that I was thinking the same thing today and was going to mention it, yes it does sound way too familiar.. Let me know when your ready we will pick a date!! I am sorry you are having a crappy day as well. I am in such a fog today I can't snap out of it.. Hopefully the baby will nap, so I could catch a few winks myself I feel the headache coming on.. Are you feeling a little better today with the heart & chest issues? And I agree our dizziness is much more than the anxiety! (just to reassure you on that!!)

Old 09-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hi girls,
I get the dizziness too, and it bothers me too. I don't smoke anymore, and about 2 years after I quit, I developed asthma. Funny, huh? I took my 1/2 pill of Zoloft last night and this morning my breathing is really bad. So of course I am now wondering if the Zoloft had anything to do with this? I have taken my inhaler and I'm still coughing. Of course, I could be getting a slight cold and this is all coincidental, but I still hate this. How old are you guys? I'm 35, married, one son (he's 10). I have had 9 miscarriages, so I guess he was the only one meant to be. I have a step-daughter, 14 and her mother is absolutely horrible. She has made my life living hell for the past 13 years. My husband never does anything either, because he is scared of her and thinks that his daughter will eventually want to live with us if we just let her have her way (yes, he is in denial) And I have custody of my 17 and 16 year old neice and nephew because my sister was an alcoholic and I took them away from her. And, for the past month my husbands 14 year old sister has come to live with us because she is having problems with her dad. So, yeah, I guess my life is a little stressful, but I think it is totally unfair that the person who gets sick is the one who is trying to help people, I am in a pity me mode today. Plus I feel yucky! I am going on a beta blocker in 2 weeks when I go back to the Dr, if I want it. She is hoping that the Zoloft will kick in and calm my heart. It is 80 resting and jumps up to 130 standing, but hard to tell what causes it. I've had this anxiety disorder off and on for 15 years. I have never had to take meds before this though, mostly because I've been too scared. I have tried them, then stopped within 3 days due to side effects. I'm really worried about this now due to my being all congested today, AUGH!! Michelle

Old 09-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

ms_mod - Thanks for looking out for everyone. Thank you for also not closing this post. I was afraid you would think it was another one about POTS, but I was just trying to share an experience to try to help someone else. I know that when anxiety sufferers (especially those with health anxiety) hear about an illness our minds just start running. The same thing happened to me last week and when I posted about it I guess I got some other people going too...which I didn't mean to do and I felt really bad about it. Anyway - thanks again for your concern!

Boxer - Yes, I am feeling a little bit better today. I have actually been pretty good about keeping my fingers away from my wrists and my neck. I'll try to keep the pulse checking to a minimum. It does nothing good for me when I do that. I figure if I am sitting here with my eyes open my heart is doing what it is supposed to be doing. You should try the beta blockers again. Just start at a real low dose. It will probably help you. Wanna try to quit the cancer sticks with me this weekend?

Michelle - I have never taken Zoloft so I have no idea if that is causing your congestion issues. If it keeps up, though, you should probably put a call in to your doctor. I am 31, not married (yet) and no kids (hopefully soon). It sounds like you have your fair share of stress. 9 miscarriages? That must have been a trying time. I tested positive for lupus anticoagulant so I will be at a high risk of miscarriages if I ever do get pregnant. I've already been told I will have to have daily heparin injections. You are a wonderful person to help those kids and try to get them into a better situation. I'm sure that isn't easy to deal with. I believe Zoloft is an anti-depressant, right? I think that those can actually cause more anxiety when first starting them. Do you have any anti-anxiety meds to take until the Zoloft kicks in? I don't know too much about those medicines, so I may be wrong. I'm assuming since you have already talked to your doc about beta blockers that you have had your heart checked out and they can't find anything wrong? Seems that is the case with most of us.

Well ladies I hope everyone can get some rest tonight and we can all feel better tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Hey girls,
Just wanted to share a little info with you. Ok, now you know how my heart has been my problem lately, with the sitting up it goes up 30 to 40 beats, right? And last night I took my 1/2 pill of Zoloft, right? Well, despite the headache, dizziness, nausea, restless legs and stomache I have today (jeesh), my heart rate has NOT gone up past 120, no matter what I do. Isn't that kind of cool to know? In fact, it has been on average 64 sitting and 100 standing, which I can't tell you the last time it was 60. I have not been able to do anything, and I mean anything to get my heart rate under control for the last month, despite going to the cardiologist and ER. I am still getting the skipped beats today, but sadly for me, it is something that I have to learn to live with, which is another reason why I am on this med. I did ask my Dr. about Zoloft, because I too was under the impression it was for depression and she said that it is also sometimes very very helpful for people with anxiety and panic attacks. She also gave me the ativan to help tide me over for any unpleasant side effects, until the Zoloft kicks in. I haven't taken it because I'm already way goofed out with the Zoloft. I really hate drugs, but after so long of this anxiety, I have to trust that maybe I can't kick this on my own. Hugs, Michelle

Old 09-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_mod I also would like to say Thank You for caring last night enough to close that post as well as caring enough tonight to see how we were feeling. I realize that anxiety can snow ball into fear when symptom searching and I should have know better I usually am smarter than that but for some reason last night I let my anxiety and fears take over from the responding posts that I was receiving. Thank You again

Leela~ My buddy we have been down many roads so far together in such a short amount of time. I feel as if we have known each other forever. You are me in so many ways it's almost scary. I wouldn't think of choosing a different "quit" partner to begin that journey with! I am sure after all we have been through we will indeed succeed in kicking the habit! I must warn you I could get a little moody when I don't smoke.. (lol) I myself have avoided the 1000 checks of my heart rate today as well, it is something how we walk around all day checking our pulse being so "Aware" of every sensation we feel. But the support and the smiles you bring me each day is the best medicine any anxiety suffer could ask for! I think of you when I feel anxious and I remind myself that I am not the only one who is walking around with their fingers glued to their wrist, and this makes me feel better knowing I am not alone by any means! I often laugh because I have to wear my watch on the right so I could check my pulse and I am a left watch wearer and I get all screwed up!! How pathetic is that!!!

Michelle~ Talk about a stressful life! No wonder why you have anxiety(lol)
I am 34, married with an almost 2 year old daughter, I couldn't imagine what you go through with all those kids! I think it is wonderful the love and guidance you are willing to give, and yes you are right we often over look our own needs when worring so much about everyone else! I am glad to see the medication you are on is helping you.. And as I mentioned before the support of others who understand, is the best medicine you can ask for along with believing in yourself!

Nikigrl I don't know if you are still allowed on this board but if you are I would like to say I am sorry you are holding in so much anger. I know you have been through so much these past few months and I truly feel for you. I hope you find the answers and treatment that you are so desperate to find so you can return back to a normal and healthy life.. I also know you meant well with your responses to my post and would hate to see you go!

I wish you all a Wonderful, Peaceful Night.. All My Best Boxerlover

Last edited by boxerlover227; 09-26-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Good morning ladies. I am actually swamped at work today, so unfortunately I will actually have to work and won't be able to be on as much today as I usually am. But I thought I would get a quick post or two in before I get started.

Michelle - I'm glad the Zoloft seems to be working for you. Take the ativan if you feel you need it. It will probably really help you with your anxiety.

Boxer - I, too, am really glad I "met" you on these boards. Even though I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, it is good to have someone to talk to that knows EXACTLY what you go through on a daily basis. You have been a great support to me. (Big Hugs)

I hope you ladies have a great day!

Closed Thread