It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User
Unhappy doctor wont perscribe xanax

hey guys, i need some advice. i have not had good experiences with taking daily anxiety medications. i really wish they would have worked out for me but like everyone knows, every pill works differently for every person. that's why there are so many out there. im not going to name the ones that have not worked for me but ive tried about 9 different ones to no avail. i am very sensitive to medications (any of them not just anxiety ones) and it seems like i always have side effects. if there is a list of 100 side effects, ill get 90 of them. i hate it. i know there are a lot of people on this board like that as well. im on my last nerve with anxiety. i have GAD and have had it for about 5 years now solid. sometimes its manageable and sometimes it completely controls my life. i went to my doctor (new doctor, i just moved to a new city) and he says that with the amount of anxiety i have (every day) he does not feel comfortable perscribing me with something like xanax because i will be using it every day. i can see where he is coming from but i also feel like taking something just for panic attacks is the only thing that is going to work for me. does anyone have any suggestions? my doctor said i should see a psychiatrist and get a perscripton from him/her. anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Re: doctor wont perscribe xanax

I am going to be running into the same problem as you here pretty soon. I just got a few more from my cardiologist, but he won't give me anymore after that. I refuse to take daily meds. I just want to have something to take when I need it. And some days I take one or two a day and some days I don't take any. I don't abuse them. I have .5mg pills, but I cut them in half always - I NEVER take a whole one. My whole thing is, if they work, what does it matter if someone gets "addicted" to them? Aren't most medications "addicting"? You can't stop taking an SSRI cold turkey, so I don't really see the difference. These doctors make me mad. They gave me something that really helps me, and now won't give me anymore. That doesn't make any sense. A psychiatrist might be your best bet. Unless you have a history of abuse, I would hope they would give you some. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

It seems that a lot of GPs just dont like to perscribe Xanax. I had one that did and I knew how well Xanax worked for me and I had no trouble with "addiction". When he left his practice and I ran out of Xanax I decided to just go to a psychiatrist because I dreaded going to a medical Dr and being turned down or given just a few pills. I had absolutely no problem getting Xanax from my psychiatrist. She said it was a question of my "quality of life"....and I found out that a perscription of .5 mgs 3 times a day is a normal doasge and not even considered a high dose. I can take as much or as little as I need of that a day. So I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist. They deal with anxiety and mental problems every day and seem to be more understanding in my experience.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
(female)

rainfall HB User

Hello from a newbie!

On top of my medical issues, I have terrible anxiety. I asked my doc for xanax and he was concerned about me taking it everyday plus the fact that so many people have been abusing it. He just didn't feel comfortable. All was not lost tho. We had a serious discussion and together, we decided I would do best (for now) using Lorazepam, generic for Ativan. I take 2mg x2. Sometimes it's enough and sometimes not. I know I'll need another appt.soon to up the dosage. I just can't handle things and hiding under my blanket doesn't help much either. I'm under the blanket and nothing gets done.

I hope you find something that helps you real soon. I know how "Un-fun" this all is.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

rather then post the same thing i am just gonna say i agree with what kaytee52 has said.. been in the same boat myself..

Old 09-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

my doctor called me back last night and he could tell that i was really not feeling good. my anxiety has completly doubled since i started this new birth control (i know, that problem goes on another board). my GAD and panic attacks were kind of at a dealable (is that a word) level. i could handle them. then i started this bc and all hell broke lose. i felt like i did a couple years ago when my anxiety/depression was so bad i couldnt even get out of bed. it was a very dark time in my life and i definitly dont want to relive it. especially bc it should be the greatest time in my life! im getting married in less than two months and things are going great for me. but here comes anxiety and her little evil sister panic attack to knock me out of my high spirits. my doctor agreed to give me a small, small dose of xanax. he perscribed only .25 milligrams and only gave me 10 of them. i know im going to need more than that but at least it's a start. im probably going to have to see a pyschiatrist to get a full perscription but at least i can get through the day now. i dont think it's fair to withhold this medication from people who really need it. i know in college tons of my friends would drink on them (i never did because i dont drink alcohol due to my anxiety) so i can see where the doctor is weary of handing them out like candy but i cant take anything else! hopefully these will just work until i can get a full perscription. im know for a fact im going to need a lot on my wedding day!!! i hate attention and i hate people looking at me i hate anxiety!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

Your wedding day ought to be a happy day!....a wonderful day to remember!....Is it possible that some of your anxiety is being brought on by the fact you will be the center of attention?...Maybe you could consider a smaller wedding?....Something intimate with just family and friends you are comfortable with?.....Just an idea....

Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

i wish i could have a small personal wedding but the whole thing is already planned and the 350 guests have already rsvp'ed. its one big panic attack waiting to happen.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #9
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

I was afraid that might be the case. It might also be the cause of your growing problems with anxiety. Try seeing a psychiatrist ...tell him/her....your problems and let them perscribe the Xanax you need. If you can take the Xanax regularly for awhile, it can take the edge off that Fear....help you think more clearly. Maybe it can help you see that your wedding is just a big party!...with people there that wish you well and have come to see your special day. Yes, people will look at you...but you wont be alone....you have bridesmaids and your fiancee up there waiting for you!....Might help to just tell yourself you're going to just look at his face.....I was afraid at my wedding 31 years ago....and I was in a judge's chambers with just a few people and no long "walk" to make!...After those vows..all that anxiety went away and there was nothing but happiness!.....

Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
(female)

bfez1 HB User

Hello everyone
I am a newbie here, too. I have the same problem. I have these anxiety attacks and Xanax is the only thing that helps me but the dr dosen't want to give it to me. He gave me vistaril which did nothing. Like taking candy.
When you feel so bad and Xanax helps you to feel better so fast why can't we have it? Like someone else said, so what if we have to take 1-3 pills a day if it gets us thru these very rough times. It helps me so much and it works so fast. Will a psychiatrist give it to you more easily? Because I really need help with these attacks I am having.

Closed Thread