It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

molly666 HB User
Exclamation help please

hi i never posted anything before on a message board so please bear with me. im a 48 yr old woman and since the age of 19 ive felt totally out of control of my life. i sufer with anxiety, im so jumpy and seem to be scared of almost everything. i no ive had alot of bad things in my life (ive been emotionally abused)but this anxiety is making me not want to live anymore. ive been to docs but they give me pills that dont really help me and it seems to me that they really dont understand what im telling them.the worst sensation that i have is the feeling that im off balance ,unsteady it comes on me even when im calm just for no reason. is there anybody out there with any advice for me? if i walk into town i start to panic because this physical thing happens to me. i cant stop and chat to anyone cos i staight away go off balance and need to lean on something tosteady myself its ruining my life.i feel that im stuck inside because its such a challange to go out feeling like im going to topple over. has anyone got any suggestions for me please? im seeing another doc soon but the pills have no effect. they lift my mood so im not depressed but the unsteadiness is always there

Old 09-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Re: help please

Hi Molly. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. Welcome to the board. You will find a lot of support here.

I, along with other people here, also have feelings of unsteadiness. If you have a few hours you can do a search by my name and find some of my posts about it. I feel that my lightheadedness/off balance feeling is what caused my anxiety, and not the other way around. I am still trying to find the cause of that and have a couple of theories right now. I could be totally wrong, and it could very well be caused by anxiety, but I don't think so. I have learned to somewhat overcome it. I finally realized that yes, even though I do feel unsteady at times, I have never passed out, or fallen, or anything like that. I don't fight it anymore. If I feel lightheaded I just let the sensation come and not try to dwell on it. I lean on things when I talk to people too. That isn't a big deal. Most of my friends know that and are just used to it now.

You can't let this take over you. I did for a couple of years and wasted so much time. Do what you can do, and if you're not feeling up to something, don't do it. But don't be afraid to do things. I have good and bad days and on my good days I try to make the most out of them. This is the best advice I can give you. Trust me, I know how hard this is to deal with.

As for the anxiety itself, I wish I knew what would make it go away. I am having a really bad week of it right now myself. I've tried therapy and it didn't work for me. I'm pretty sure I have had some form of anxiety all of my life.

Again, welcome to the boards. I'm sure you will find some great support here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #3
(female)

molly666 HB User

thanks for that its good to no that others can understand this . im the same as you i think alot of the anxiety is caused by the unsteadiness because i can be feeling calm and ok and then start to feel unsteady and that makes you anxious what theorys do you have?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

oh wow molly sounds like you have been sufferering for far too long.I am 32 and was diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder/borderline agoraphobic (wasnt getting out much due to the feelings) 13 years ago I too know that unsteady feeling and the disorintation and so on.This is something that used to happen to me before being diagnosed...I lived in a constant state of derealization and felt unsteady anyway when id chat with someone or a doctor things started to become distorted and of course id grow even more nervous and think I must be insane or dying.This isnt about me sorry I just wanted to share with you.You say you tried some meds and they did'nt work.I wonder if therapy would be of help.Also have you ever had any counseling for the abuse you suffered? I would try this and maybe a med I had'nt tried yet.You are really strong to have dealt with this without help all this time and I hope you will get some relief very soon......take care

Last edited by tnmomofive; 09-27-2006 at 04:31 AM.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
(female)

Diane720 HB User

I also understand what you are going through Molly..the unsteadiness (dizziness, lightheadedness) are my worst symptoms right now. And sometimes they do come out of the blue....and cause more anxiety. I was having a good day at my moms yesterday...until just sitting there watching tv with her, I got dizzy and had that unreal feeling. I got panicky and went out on the porch but all I wanted to do was get home where I feel the most safe....and can hide it. I didn't tell her I got panicky I just told her I wasn't feeling good again (from allergies this week)...and had to go home. I pretty much cried all the way home....frustrated and sick and tired of all this anxiety...feeling like I was at the end of my rope. But it subsided after I got home and my son got home from school and I got distracted letting him show me his game on the computer. Sometimes just finding a distraction helps, so maybe you can find something that works for you. I am on zoloft, and it helps as far as panic attacks...but not the unsteadiness. I am also in the process of finding out if something else is causing that. I honestly don't feel its my anxiety causing it....but I definately know it causes me anxiety.

I hope you find something that works for you, and find some kind of relief from what you're going through.

Diane

Old 09-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly666
thanks for that its good to no that others can understand this . im the same as you i think alot of the anxiety is caused by the unsteadiness because i can be feeling calm and ok and then start to feel unsteady and that makes you anxious what theorys do you have?
I have herniated discs in my neck and I suffer from headaches. I think the lightheadedness may be related to that...either my neck or migraines. I could be wrong, though. It may be all anxiety. I just want to make sure I exhaust all avenues before I can agree to the anxiety diagnosis. I do suffer from horrible anxiety, though, and I deal with that the best I can.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
(female)

molly666 HB User

its not dizziness that i get its just the feeing that im going over to 1 side ,then the panic starts which makes it even worse. had my balance checked everything came back ok but its so hard and i get so low, im sure my doc thinks im imagining it but its easy for them when there not experiencing it.since i was about 18 this feeling ,thing whatever it is happened to me totally out of the blue,i was working at the time felt weird had to go home and its been in my life ever since. This morn i forced myself to go to the shops but on the way back it started. I tell myself not to let it affect me but its no good didnt think i ws gona make it home, the anxiety i can bear cos i no that the panic will go but the unsteadiness is the 1 thing that i cant fight at all and its that what makes me panic its a vicious circle its ruined my life i no that.Im seeing a different doc next week and hoping that maybe he,ll be able to help.Thers 1 thing that i would like to mention though and thats a friend of mine who doesnt suffer by the way is convinced that its hormone related

Old 09-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Molly I don't get "dizzy" either. I feel like I am being pulled to one side too. I also feel like I'm going to fall sometimes, even when I'm sitting down. I have had these sensations for almost 4 years now. Mine started one day while driving. It took me like 6 months before I would drive again after that. I believe that these sensations are what caused my anxiety.

It is possible that it is hormone related. I have PCOS so I know my hormones are off anyway. How old are you? I'm 31.

Good luck with your new doctor. Keep us posted!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 AM   #9
(female)

molly666 HB User

hi leela im 48 so my hormones are gonna start to be off anyway but ive always had this so i just dont no. Yes i feel like im being pulled to 1 side its horrible isent it? then the heart starts beating faster and the panic sets in and then its a nightmare.ive had gyney tests told me i,d got fibroids but then so have most women ,had a scan of everything no issue there they said, that was because i was having probs in that region, had blood tests for my thyroid ,anemia but all came back normal, and thats when i think the docs think im imagining it. Trouble is im not its pysical symptoms its riuned my life cos i cant go anywhere crowds of people theres no chance. You no i saw 1 doc some time ago and he made me feel that i was a time waster that had a bad effect on me. I felt like just giving up but had no choice but to go back eventually needless to say i saw another 1. Maybe its a genetic thing i cant go back with my family as my mother was adopted. But the rest of them are al ok.Hopefully this other doc may be able to help im not living in hope tho cos its been to long now and all they seem to do is hand out pills,and so far they havent helped, they can calm the panic attacks but not the unsteadiness which is the root i think

Old 09-28-2006, 06:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Molly. Yes, this is horrible. It is also horrible the way the docs treat us. I was even told off by a doctor once. I left her office in tears and never went back. I do believe the balance issues brought on my anxiety because like you, the anti-anxiety meds help me to not worry about it, but it doesn't take the unsteadiness away.

The doctor that told me off said "so, you're a little lightheaded, get over it! Nothing has ever happened, you haven't fallen, you haven't passed out, so don't worry about it." Even though she was really mean to me and at the time I was really mad, what she said kind of helped me. Nothing really bad has ever happened. Yeah, it stinks to have to feel like this all of the time, but I have never fallen or passed out or anything (even though I feel like I'm going to). So when I do feel unsteady, I just try to not concentrate on it and I don't worry about what is going to happen next. It does seem to help. I know it is easier said than done, but try to get past it. Don't let it ruin your life.

Poor us, right? We really shouldn't have to live like this!

I hope you have a good day!

LeeAnn

Old 09-28-2006, 08:30 AM   #11
(female)

molly666 HB User

hi lee yes it does stink when we have to live with this. Your doc sounded alot like mine there not understanding enough. Do they think we wanna be like this cos i dont, i really envy my friends when i no there going off out for the evening, i dont go cos tried it to many times and had to leave becauseof this curse lifes so unfair. I had 1 friend well shes not anymore who told me im imagining it!!Do people really think thats the case ? i dont think so id give my right arm not to be like this.Maybe we,re just to sensitive and thats why we suffer some1 has to no.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
(female)

molly666 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmomofive
oh wow molly sounds like you have been sufferering for far too long.I am 32 and was diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder/borderline agoraphobic (wasnt getting out much due to the feelings) 13 years ago I too know that unsteady feeling and the disorintation and so on.This is something that used to happen to me before being diagnosed...I lived in a constant state of derealization and felt unsteady anyway when id chat with someone or a doctor things started to become distorted and of course id grow even more nervous and think I must be insane or dying.This isnt about me sorry I just wanted to share with you.You say you tried some meds and they did'nt work.I wonder if therapy would be of help.Also have you ever had any counseling for the abuse you suffered? I would try this and maybe a med I had'nt tried yet.You are really strong to have dealt with this without help all this time and I hope you will get some relief very soon......take care
thankyou

Old 09-28-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

When this first started happening to me, my boyfriend thought I was making it up. He has since become much more understanding. Do people think we enjoy being like this? Come on. I would give ANYTHING to not feel like this every day. Why in the world would we bring this on ourselves? Give me a break!

Closed Thread