It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

jess25 HB User
Need help please

I am very concerned and need some help. I had a sister to die in 2002 from heart disease. I lost a brother very suddenly to a heart attack in June, he was only 34. I have started having numbness in my left arm, pinky finger and the left side of my jaw up to half of my bottom lip. Sometimes it goes into my left cheek alittle. It doesn't feel like a tingly numb, just numb. It happens when I get nervous, or anxious but then it last for along time after. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen because of anxiety? I am only 27 and all this is ruining my life. Any advice would be great.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Need help please

I do The last several months it has been my left cheek that goes numb off and on.This comes on at any time even when calm but seems mainly during or after stress but not exercise I actualy always feel better after exercise.I have had heart testing including the tredmill stress test with echocardiogram and all of it has been normal.I do think anxiety and or stress can cause this symptom but you should visit your doctor about the numbness anyway.I am sorry for the loss of your brother and sister.Have you been worrying a whole lot particurlary about your own health ? heart health? I ask because sometimes when we overly worry about certain illnesses we can bring on some symptoms that seem like the illness.This has happened to me numerous times and plenty of others on this forum.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 09-26-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

HI, I am so very sorry to hear of those losses!

For your own piece of mind please go to the Doctor and have a full work up done, cholesterol, Blood pressure, any tests so they can reassure you that your heart and health is in good order.

I have had anxiety now off and on for almost 10 years, I do have those symptoms that you described. They come and go, I have had my heart checked out with ekg's and a holter monitor and the tests come back fine. It is muscle tension, general tension and anxiety causing my symptoms.

Again I am very sorry but I think now if you go get a baseline done on some tests it can help you feel safer and it will give you a good starting point so you can remain healthy for your life.

My best to you.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
(female)

jess25 HB User

1 and 1/2 years ago, I had a stress echo, EKG, cholesterol tests, holter monitor, event monitor, you name it, I've had it done. My cholesterol was fine, everything else came back fine. I just can't convince myself that it isn't my heart. Everytime it happens, I just know it is because of my heart. The numbness along my jaw and in my pinky has me convinced it is my heart.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Smile Re: Need help please

Hi Jess25~
I first would like to say I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister and brother. Losing a loved one is tremendous grief and causes you a tremendous amount of anxiety as well. It sounds to me like you are experiencing panic attacks, as well as anxiety disorder. I would do as others have mentioned go to the Doctor's get a full physical exam to put your mind at ease, and if these feelings you are having is due to anxiety then seek out help for your condition. May I ask have you had any counseling to deal with your losses? Sometimes we hold in our sadness, our fears, etc and this builds up into a massive amount of anxiety and panic.. Believe me I know first hand, I've done it myself.
There are wonderful supporters on this board so feel free to post your questions and thoughts no matter how strange they may sound! Keep us posted Good Luck! (BTW) There is a support group board for Grief & Loss located on health boards you may find this board helpful as well just thought I'd mention it.. Boxerlover

Old 09-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
(female)

jess25 HB User

Thank you all, I haven't sought counseling since my brothers death. I do think that is something I need to do.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

jess

Obviously this is harder for you then someone who does'nt have a family history of heart problems.Have you spoken to your doctor about your anxiety of all this? At this point since you have had all those tests I would talk to the doc about your worries there is help for anxiety.. meds and or therapy.Remember just because you have a family history of heart problems does'nt mean you are destined for the same.If it was me I would talk to my doctor about help for the anxiety and ask maybe if it would be a good idea to at least have an EKG or something each year being there is a history(this could help ease your worries) and I would just try to live my life as healthy as possible.

Closed Thread