It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User
fear of sudden death??

i fear this.. is this because of anxiety?? thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to gxpark1234:
Chiclet (11-19-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to gxpark1234 For This Useful Post:
Chiclet (11-19-2010)
Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User
Re: fear of sudden death??

I think that everyone has a fear of death to some degree, it's just that for anxiety sufferers it's 10 times worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Yep. I fear this, too, specifically sudden cardiac death. That's my only real "health" hangup related to my anxiety---fear of dying suddenly. I don't fear dying a long, protracted, painful death of an awful disease like most people---I fear just keeling over. I also hate surprises. It's a control thing, I guess. Many people with anxiety have issues with being "in control". We're not necessarily domineering, we just like to have our own little worlds to be somewhat predictable. Anyhow, this is a fear that crops up from time to time with me and it's awful. Just remember that most deaths aren't sudden, barring, say, a traumatic accident. I find that medication has helped me the most with this fear, because therapy wasn't doing anything for it (that's just my experience, though).

The Following User Says Thank You to CircusSquirrel For This Useful Post:
luckyakhi (05-28-2012)
Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I second what CircusSquirrel said. I have the same fear of sudden cardiac death. Therapy didn't help me either.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User

thanks everyone, did you guys have this fear after the anxiety started??

Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I never used to have fears like this until my full blown anxiety hit me. I think a lot of anxiety sufferers (especially those with health anxiety, like me) have this fear. I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't have anxiety that have that particular fear. You are certainly not alone.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
(female)

Virgo33 HB User

Yes I have this fear too that came along after my first initial anxiety attacks years ago and the only way I have ever been able to control it is with medication although I am not on any now. It's a control thing.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
(female)

sugarplum68 HB User

Hi when my first panic attack hit i thought that i was going to die right there on the spot.. It frightened me very much and that is when i lost control of my life and fear started to rule it... I was afraid because i thought that i was in control of my health, but when you start getting symptons like heart racing and palpitations, its hard to focus on anything else but the symptons.. Death is a frightening thing to us all but i believe that if we have faith it makes it alot easier to deal with... Anxiety is something that we can learn to control, which helps lessen the fear... I understand i have been there believe me i know exactly what you are going through...

Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User

thank you .

Old 09-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
(male)

Mike137100 HB User

Hello,

I been reading the boards for a couple of months and this thread actually inspired me to actually post. I have suffered some level of anxiety all my life. I didn't know it was anxiety until my therapist made me realize what I been feeling.

My story starts when my mom suddenly had a TIA back in Dec. After that she had alot of issues with her pressure so I did a lot of back and forth things to the doctors. She got better but during that time I had a panic attack at work. It was horrible but I let it ride. I had them before many many years ago. Went to doc he told me it was all due to stress. In May my cousin how was 5 yrs older than me suddenly died. He had no health issues, supposely it was aneurysum. Well that really had put me over the edge. My anxiety level has gone thru the roof. I went to my GP and he found my pressure was high after 3 visits he put me on meds which weren't agreeing with me. They made me feel worst. In 2 months he tried 2 kinds of meds. My pressure was fine but I totally felt horrible from the side effects. In Aug I found out another cousin of mine was in the hospital. That triggered another panic attack that sent me to the ER, I thought I was having a stroke. Turned out I had a sinus infection. The ER docs told me you are having a panic attack and mentioned to me about 80 % of the population has one in their life time. They gave me Xanax and told me to follow up with my Doc. Well my doc finally realized my HBP was due to anxiety and discontinued the drugs. He wanted me to see a Psychiatrist but I refused I said I don't want drugs, I will try to find a psychologist instead.

I been in therapy for about a month now, the attacks are less and don't last as long. I get chest pains and feel on edge alot but I also suffered from Acid Reflux. Even though I know it is the reflux in the back of my head I am thinking can it be my heart. I have had an event monitor and a echo done and seen a caridologist, I do get PVC's but he told me again it was due to stress. I used to work out 3 times a week this anxiety has gotten in the way of my work outs just like another poster has said once my pulse goes up I get scared, then the anxiety symptoms begin. This is very annoying. I am trying to beat this naturally. I also started acupuncture last week. I am hopeful it will help. I just want to feel normal again and not fear that I will pass out or have a heart attack. That is my story... Thanks for letting me vent.

Mike

Old 09-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

I wasn't afraid of this until after my anxiety came on at age 14 with my first strange heart sensations. Then several years later when I began having full-blown panic attacks, the fear of sudden death intensified.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
(female)

livfortoday HB User

if you don't have VT then you have nothing to worry about. And if you don't know what VT is then there is no fear, you won't die from sudden death

Old 09-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
(male)

rakuz66 HB User

It's great to be able to share life experiences with anxiety. I started having panic and anxiety around my teen years as well. As I got older, the anxiety became much more intense and harder to hide/control and handle. I guess that's because as we get older, we have much more responsibilities and aren't as innocent. I to have health issues with anxiety, and I believe it's alll about CONTROL. We can't control everything in life, and we as anxiety sufferers love to have our routine, and control our surroundings. Unfortuneately, we can't control all our health issues, and that scares us. Good luck to everyone and keep pushing straight ahead.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #14
(male)

Gimli HB User

Sudden death use to be a big fear of mine. But now it is mainly the fear of having a panic attack to far from home when i'm joggin or walking and i'm not gonna freak myself out into having a heart attack. I went for a 5 mile walk today and i was ok till i was about 1/4 mile from my house than i freaked my heart started pounding then i was like "why am i doing this i'm fine!! this is all mental" i started to breathe in and out slowly and deeply made it to the house and ate some meatloaf. lol i made it. first time in about 2 weeks. Next week i will try running again.

Last edited by Gimli; 09-30-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:25 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Gimli,
Congrats! I am actually trying to get my exercise routine going again. I started running last year and I was really kicking but for a while, I got up to running 5 miles at a time (this is from near zero in the recent past to that, so it was quite the accomplishment for me). When my anxiety got bad again this year, my running fell by the wayside. I had a horrid bout of skipping heartbeats (like one or two every other beat) during a run after about a month break and it just tore me apart. I did see a cardio and he said I was fine, but I've only run twice since that. I long to pound the pavement again; I've got to just do it! Best wishes to you, I know you can do it. Always remember to give yourself credit for your accomplishments in overcoming anxious feelings, write it down in a journal!

Closed Thread