It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Unhappy Bad day with my HEART!!

Day two on the Zoloft and I woke up this morning very very tired and my heart going crazy with the skipping. I usually only get them when my pulse is high, but my pulse is way low on this Zoloft (around 6 to 80) and it is skipping with them now. It even feels weird. I am sooo mad, the reason I am taking the Zoloft is to help me take my focus off my high heart rate and pac's and pvc's. I am thinking that maybe the Zoloft is not a good one, and I know, I need to give it a week to two to let it kick in, but I wonder why just taking an Ativan can't do the same thing, and it doesn't alter your brain chemicals, just relaxes you? I am not really looking for answers, just scared and feeling yucky today. Any words of comfort? Thank you - Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Smile Re: Bad day with my HEART!!

Hi Michelle
I am sorry you are having a yucky day! I myself couldn't take the SSRI's they increased my anxiety way too much, too many side effects for me. But I was told you have to wait it out, and your body should adjust in a few weeks if your willing to wait!! You might have to try another SSRI perhaps this one isn't right for you as well.. Sometimes a prescription for xanax or ativan is used to decrease the side effects from the SSRI's. Are you currently using the ativan as well. If this continues to be a problem I'd speak to your Dr.
It's bad enough you have to suffer with the anxiety symptoms, never mind the side effects to your medication. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.. I hope you feel better soon.. Boxerlover Hang in there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
(female)

Jillian888 HB User
Re: Bad day with my HEART!!

Hi: wave:
I have been on Zoloft for a while now, its is helping me... But you really need to give it at least 2 months to state to feel the positive effect.
I suffer from the same heart fear as you for a while now and I have my good days and bad days (with Zoloft more good days now) ... I would give anything to feel normal again and pray that one day this will all be behind me.
Good luck.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:39 AM   #4
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

I never took Prozac but I did take Paxil (still an SSRI) and on day 2 it caused a panic attack. I never had a panic attack before that and have never had another since then (I do have anxiety attacks, but nothing like what I had on the Paxil). I immediately stopped taking the Paxil. My family doctor had put me on it. My psychiatrist told me they put me on too much too quick. He said I should have started with 1/2 a pill for a week and then go to a full pill. I know increased anxiety is a side effect of these drugs until they start to work. A friend of mine took Paxil for nearly a month until she got any benefit but she stuck it out and has been without a panic attack now for 4 years (she suffered with them for 7 years). She had horrible anxiety at the beginning. Best of luck!

Old 09-28-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Michelle. I have noticed that when my pulse rate is low I actually feel the skips, thuds, etc. even more. So you're certainly not alone there.

Sorry the Zoloft is making your anxiety worse. I won't take SSRIs for that very reason. I hope you're taking the ativan along with it. If not, that will probably help you.

I hope you're feeling better today.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hi Girls,
Thank you soo much for your comments! I honestly don't think I can do the Zoloft. I am having anxiety like crazy, only my body isn't letting me show any emotion, I feel like a zombie. The Dr.'s have tried me on other SSRI's in the past, all with the same effects. I had success 15 years ago with Xanax, I got over my panic attacks within 6 months and no withdrawal from the drug. But I only had hyperventilating symptoms then. Now I'm scared of my heart skipping all the time, along with it racing non stop. I think I am going to just try the Ativan instead and see if it helps. My symptoms from the Zoloft - itching all over, sweating all night, insomnia with severe tiredness, zombie feeling, extreme dizziness, extreme nausea, legs twitching non-stop, heart still skipping, upset stomach, and weird thoughts in my head, that's a new one. Oh yeah, and in three days, my face has severely broken out? I don't want to go like this anymore. I can't even drive anywhere, and my son thinks I'm strange. I have not taken the Ativan with it because I was already tired as heck from the Zoloft, I didn't need anymore help. I know many anxiety suffers can't take the SSRI's, only the Xanax, etc. I don't have any depression, and I don't know why they keep trying to give me them?

Boxerlover227, Leela_C and smurfy33, do you take anything for your anxiety? I have always been able to somewhat handle all my other symptoms, just this racing pulse and skipped beats is always getting me frustrated. I keep thinking this isn't in my head, and hope that I don't have anything wrong with me that they are just brushing off. I know I shouldn't say this, but I had an older friend who almost died because of a bad tooth that he didn't know was bad and it went to his heart, and then I think what if they miss my symptoms too because I look young and have a history of heart problems. I am not writing this to get other people scared, but I need to talk about what I'm thinking.

Jillian888, I think that is so awesome you stuck it out and gave the Zoloft a chance. I just don't think I can do this, at least not this one. I couldn't give it a week like this, not the way I'm feeling.
I am going to sit in bed today with my upset stomache and dizziness and pray that God has mercy on me. This sucks. I went to bed at midnight and been up off and on the entire night, and now awake since 6am. I am a mess. Michelle

Old 09-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I take xanax. It really does work wonders for me. I don't know if it really helps with the heart stuff, but it sure does make me worry about it less!

Have you been evaluated by a cardiologist? Maybe you should make an appointment and get a holter monitor just to make sure nothing is wrong. That would probably help ease your mind. I'm sure that you're OK, just like the rest of us. Most anxiety sufferers can feel skips, etc. that everyone else has also but just doesn't feel. We are hyper-vigilant within our bodies and one little sensation can ruin our whole day. I can feel every beat my heart makes. Trust me, I wish I wasn't able to. I wish I could just be like normal people who trust that their hearts are working fine and pay no attention to them.

I hope you feel better. It may take a couple of days to get that zoloft out of your system. When I tried welbutrin I was out of work for two days. Hang in there. It will get better!

Old 09-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela_C
It may take a couple of days to get that zoloft out of your system. When I tried welbutrin I was out of work for two days. Hang in there. It will get better!
When I said that I thought you had said that you were going to stop taking the zoloft. I just re-read your post and realized you said you didn't think you could keep taking it. Sorry about that.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Hi Michelle~
I am sorry to hear again that the Zoloft is causing you so much more anxiety.
I myself had this problem with the SSRI's as well, so I never continued treatment with them.. I am a xanax user as well and have to say it helps with my panic disorder effectively. I tried Ativan years ago, and found this to be very sedating to me. So my Dr. switch me to the xanax which was better for me. I could function on the xanax normally just without the panic state.
If you really feel the Zoloft isn't right for you then speak to your Dr. and find another treatment plan. There is no need to add more anxiety to a already anxious person. I hope this helps and you start feeling better. Boxerlover (P.S. have you thought about Buspar? It helps GAD and doesn't have the side effects that SSRI's have, I myself have used this drug and it helped but not so much with panic disorder. I think you can use a xanax or ativan with this drug if I am correct? If anyone knows perhaps they can add to this)

Last edited by boxerlover227; 09-28-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Leela_C,
Hey thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. Actually, I am going to stop the Zoloft, it's too much for me. I also have had my heart checked out, two holter monitors, ekgs, and an echo. I tried to do a stress test a week and half ago, but panicked and couldn't do it. They don't think anything is wrong with me, other than the pac's and pvc's which they say almost everyone has. Doesn't make you feel better. Almost anything caues them, hormones, anxiety, anger, joy, certain foods, being tired, when I get sick. They are a part of me, and I do wish they weren't. I'm working on trying to not get bothered by them. Hey, do you know what the difference is in Ativan or Xanax. I haven't tried the Ativan, but I have used the Xanax before (15 yrs ago) and it worked, but she wasn't wanting to give me the Xanax this time? I hope it does the same at the Xanax. Did it take you a few days to get used to it? I'd like it to calm me down without being "out of it" where I can still function. Michelle

Old 09-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227, sorry, we posted at the same time, thank you too for your words. I am wrong, I remember taking the Ativan before now too, and it was the same as you, made me really tired all the time, but I don't remember it with the Xanax. It is hard to convince your Dr. that all you need is Xanax, and no, I am not going to abuse it. Funny too, cause I hate taking medicine, even Tylenol as I am scared of drugs, haha. I think I will call her, I know she will tell me to keep taking the Zoloft and Ativan, but it can't hurt I guess. I hate spending $90 bucks on that Zoloft to give in so easily, but it is just kicking my butt. I think I'll donate my brain to science when I die, haha. I am trying to make myself notice things around me to keep my mind off this anxiety. It's a beautiful day here today, I live in Montana and it's starting to turn to Fall, and the leaves on the trees are turning orange and red and yellow and really pretty. Michelle

Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I didn't have to get used to the xanax. When I finally got over my fear of taking it I just took it and it pretty much worked immediately. I don't usually take it daily (although I have been the past few days). I just take it when I need it. I only take .25mg. I have a hard time getting it too. My cardiologist reluctantly just gave me 60 more pills. Why do they give us this stuff and then when it helps us they won't give us anymore??? It makes no sense. I don't know why doctors are so against it. I'm obviously not abusing it since I only take .25mg once a day if even that. It is so frustrating! I feel like a druggie just asking for it. There is another recent post on here about it. I guess I'm going to have to go see a psychiatrist to get it.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Michelle~
Funny the Dr. prescribes ativan but not xanax, it's the same class drug, with the same potential for addiction. I think those in real "need" of the drug shouldn't be treated with the eyes rolls and third degree when asked for a prescription. You know everything we take even Advil could cause some sort of an addiction. It's crazy.. For myself the ativan was as I said way to sedating, I felt drugged, tired and couldn't function.. The xanax did the total opposite. You mentioned perhaps a beta blocker. This may be a good choice for you. My cardiologist told me it great in treating anxiety, panic disorder and Palpitations. Perhaps you should consider this road of treatment.
I am glad you are trying to focus on positive things like the beauty of fall.
I am a fall lover myself and am looking forward to the change of season.
You also mentioned the $90 spent on the prescription, YOUR Doctor couldn't offer samples to give it a try first?? Next time ask for samples. They have them, they are free, and that's why they are given from the drug companies.
I always tell my Dr. write me a script and give me samples first. The cost for good mental health or any health for that matter is Insane it's self!!!
Hang in there, I am sure you will find the best treatment plan eventually!!!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela~
I know it's crazy!! It helps... but you can't have it.. What a joke.. As I mentioned to Michelle everything even food has a potential for addiction. I say if it's not being abused and not being used for recreational use, then why deprive a person who is in such good need of it.. It's as if you are getting refusal to good treatment.. I guess that's why there are so many anxiety suffers out there as we can see!!! I use mine as well sparingly cause who knows if i will ever get another prescription as well.. I am on the same page with you on this one!! Boxerlover

Old 09-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Unfortunately my dr. didn't have samples of the Zoloft, but had I been smart, I could have just asked the pharmacist to only give me a week or two to start, that was me not thinking. I also called my Dr. and left a message with her nurse to please substitute the Ativan for Xanax. Of course, it has been so long ago since I took the Xanax, but I don't remember having that "drugged" feeling, just a sense of calm. The Ativan I took over a year ago, and it made me feel druggy, and I didn't like that. I had to take it over my anxiety and going to the dentist! I hate dentist, by the way. I also have to go again because I have two small cavites in the back of my mouth and he wants to fix them before they get worse, and I can't do it, the thought sends my heart into instant pvc's! I didn't tell the nurse I was going off the Zoloft, at least not until they prescribe the Xanax, and then when I go back in a week and a half, then I can tell the Dr. what I did and tell her whether the Xanax/Ativan alone is helping or not. She also said at that time if I want, I can try the Beta Blockers. The only thing though, is that I have skipped beats whether my pulse is high or low, and the beta blocker will lower my pulse and probably still skip she mentioned. SIGH! I'll let you know what my Dr. says about the Xanax. In the meantime I think I am going to think about a psychiatrist to see. And again, the thought of that brings palpitations. I;ve been to three over the past 15 years, and none helped, except to deplete my wallet. Michelle

Closed Thread