It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
(male)

blu3crayon HB User
Exclamation Anxiety , Heart, pleas help!

Hello,

4 nights ago I assume I felt my pulse wrong.. since I felt nothing and I paniced (I have been worrying over my heart since feb. ) and then 2 nights ago I had a fast heart.. then I thought it was slow.. though I could be wrong and I thought it was weak to.. I got very very scared infact I almost called 911 my father wound up sitting up with me for 2 hours 3am - 5 am (and it started at 12 am ) he said my pulse seemed quite steady.. and that my family on both sides has no real history of heart attacks or heart disease.. but I keep dwelling on it and fearing it I always focus on my heart I listen to every beat.. if its even slightly off I get hot flashes and panic .. I have also been coughing more lately which got me worried about heart failure though I had a phsyical 10 days ago and she stated my blood pressre was high due anxiety nothing more was mentioned. I seem to also find my self moving my left arm alot but movement or not I feel pain in it and under it ( left chest lower and mid though I do have alot of gas..)

also when I try to sleep.. I am generally awaked with a thud or something to that degree not sure what it is or isnt .. I am also deep chest breathing I move forward when sitting and take a deep chest breath which is probably hyperventilateing.. but its makeing me scared to sleep and I fear my heart will stop..

Has something like this happend to anyone? Does anyone have any advice?? PS I wanted to add I am constantly checking my pulse

Last edited by blu3crayon; 09-27-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Anxiety , Heart, pleas help!

Yeah been there one good peice of advice for you is ...stop stop stop monitoring your pulse that alone should do wonders for you.I know it wont be easy but maybe try putting a rubber band around your wrist and each time you catch yourself about to check your pulse pull the rubber band up a bit and let it snap back at your wrist.Another sugesstion would be to maybe ask your doctor for a EKG or a holter monitor test.This way when nothing is found or nothing serious you can hopefully relax.I have PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) which makes me have heart flutters,skips,little pauses,quivers sometimes but they are nothing to worry about eventhough they can feel scarey.The pain in your arm could be a muscle or nerve.See one of the rotten things about this anxiety business is we can create physical symptoms that do not mean a thing because we are so anxious and worried.I have been there many many times.You also do not have to be worried or anxious at the time of these symptoms but you have been stressing over them so much at other times that they just appear.Being you had a full physical very recently and it was fine should give you some relief.OH and another thing if you are symptom searching (googling by your symptoms on the web) STOP! You will drive yourself nuts if you do that because a few symptoms will bring up soo many different results ranging from down right serious to very simple OR just the serious stuff will pop up.Well I am good at rambling on but anyway if you continue to worry talk to your doctor.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

Your sure are in the right place. A lot of us here have heart anxiety. Most people with anxiety will focus on one thing that they obsess about. At one time I obsessed about my pulse, but now I've moved onto something new. I agree with tnmomofive, ask your doctor for an EKG or Holter monitor. It will ease your mind. Anxiety can make your body do all kinds of strange things.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi there. If you've read my posts you will know that I am totally obsessed with my heart. As the other posters said, try to get a holter monitor just to put your mind at ease. And stop checking your pulse. I know it is hard - I should take my own advice! Take care.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
(male)

blu3crayon HB User

has anyone herd of a dry cough going along with this..? Since im having that to...I noticed the areas where I have pain.. they include under both arms (ribcage area) all sides and on the left arm and left shoulder pain. sometimes a few feelings of pain in the right arm .. tons of upper / middle back pain.. neck pain on the bone itself seemingly.. some left breast area chest pain and sometimes some lower right and lower center chest pain.

I should note my nose has been stuffed greatly for 3 months now (which could answer my semi dizzyness/virtigo) :/ and I slouch really bad whenever I sit..And do you think I could get a holter from my regular dr? I am terrified of hospitals (or maybe just an eKg at the dr would that tell me once and for all) sigh I made the mistake of typing in the symptom of heart and upper back pain.. it said heart disease so enter more panic.

Last edited by blu3crayon; 09-30-2006 at 07:20 AM.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I am not sure about the cough and stuff I have a cough but im a smoker.As far as an EKG well it may not be a bad idea alot of doctors offices have the EKG at their office but some do not so call and ask your has one.I think a holter monitor would be better though at least to ease your mind more because the EKG is like several seconds of monitoring thats it.With the holter monitor you would have a much higher chance of catching something on that if there is anything to be caught.Your doctor would probably send you to a cardiologist office to have that set up.Hnag in there I have been experiancing very simular symptoms for months now all tests have came back normal so I dont know.........good luck

Old 10-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
(male)

blu3crayon HB User

well I was feeling some chest pains I figured id take my blood pressure and see what it was.. what do you guys think of them.. I am not so good with what the numbers means (side from pulse) - I got these results in about 15 minutes of testing.

124/79 pulse 88
124/77 Pulse 101
123/66 Pulse Unknown (forgot to write it)
128/84 Pulse 95
128/84 Pulse 96
125/81 Pulse 97
134/83 pulse 97

and the last one was 136/94 pulse 115

Does this show anything?

Old 10-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
(female)

jen_em HB User

A couple of summers ago I was going through some pretty stressful stuff. I would feel my heart race and flutter to the point where it would almost knock the air out of me because it scared me so badly. I would sit awake at night, afraid to go to sleep because I was fearing a heart attack.

I went to my regular doctor and they strapped me up to an EKG and did not notice anything irregular. They also gave me some medicine to help calm me down for a few days.

I would suggest going to your regular doctor, be very rational about it when you speak with them. You can let them know about your concerns of your heart beat and ask for an EKG.

That was the only way I was able to get control over my breathing and heart rate. Also, deep breathing does wonders for me. I tried the yoga breathing method "pranayama". I am just letting you know what worked for me when I went. Self-diagnosis is quite stress inducing in itself and I know this because I am currently a sufferer of it.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
(female)

mustlovedogs HB User

It *could* be that all the pain/pressure/uncomfortableness you've described could be either from coughing (too hard or too much or both) or from just plain tensing your body. That's the bad thing...your anxiety about it could be creating the symptoms.

It's perfectly normal for everyone to experience an occasional skipped beat or flutter with their heart. It's just that we, as anxiety sufferers, truly notice them and feel certain they are abnormal. We put too much emphasis on them which in turn pushes our anxiety to the hilt. I do this stuff all the time, too. I do agree with the other poster that you should stop taking your pulse. It seems to be making you more anxious about it.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

I am also one of those people who whenever I get an attack the first thing that comes to my mind is I'm having a heart attack. See my family, both sides, have heart problems. My one grandfather died at the age of 40 from a massive heart attack. So ofcourse me at 27 thinks this is going to happen to me. Our minds can make our bodies think we are having all kinds of sickness. Last month I had such an attack that my blood pressure and pulse went sky high. I never knew that anxiety could mess around with your blood pressure. After speaking with my doctor she told me that it could. I am always feeling my pulse and or heart beats. It's a bad habit I know, but when you do feel your pulse start to race, try taking some deep breaths to relax. Your coughing and chest pain might be caused by a cold. I also agree stay off line when looking up anything medical. I had a pinch nerve in my neck and I put my symptoms in..they told me I had a brain tumor!!! CRAZY!!!!! Good luck and keep posting on here....this site has helpped me out so much!!
Jackie

Old 10-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
(male)

blu3crayon HB User

A small update , I have been noticeing that im tenseing my neck when I check my pulse and and when im stressed my upper back gets tense and my posture is kind of bad while sitting so that probably plays a role in the pains on the sides of my chest I think?

But My father noticed my breathing 'alot' when I was trying to help with something physical.. and I noticed I seem to cough often somtimes with phlem sometimes dry.. I spit some out this morning (not to be gross :x) and it was whiteish not discolored etc..

and I just feel plain odd today like somethings wrong .. just anxiety working well im worn down? Kinda worried about a heart attack or death or something of that nature I just feel sort of weak or that my body is giving out(sleep and be tired etc).

Last edited by blu3crayon; 10-05-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

Have you been to the doctors about this cough? You might be coming down with a cold that could be settling in your chest. That would explain why you are out of breath trying to do something physical. I would get that checked out. Whenever I have had an attack my chest hurts really bad. I some how tense my chest muscles..no idea how but that's what the doctor is telling me.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
(male)

blu3crayon HB User

Well I had a scary morning yesterday.. I woke up at 9:01 and by 9:40 im having chest pain in he middle of my chest.. and on the left side of my chest to.. hurts alot I have mangaed not to completly panic id I guess thats a sucess but its freaking me out to no end not to mention im feeling weak and I feel like I havent slept at all .. its the 4th day in a row of sleep but feeling like im not sleeping its starting to wear on me greatly. Not to mention this werid feeling all over my body .. like im ice cold.. then hot and it comes in flows mostly in the upper body sometimes my face feels like its on fire

Can worrying non stop for a week cause you to feel tired even after sleeping?
----

Also last night I woke up at 3 am for no reason and was focusing on my heart so much I couldnt sleep .. I finally checked BP .. 124/82 pulse 71.. dunno was just weird not feeling it thudding in my chest or in other places. And right now I have this general feeling of unwellness like I might I just fall over ... my hearts going at 94 bpm and i just got up :/

Old 10-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User
Exclamation Re: Anxiety , Heart, pleas help!

Okay...you sound so much like me!! It isn't even funny! I was just like you about 8 months ago. I am there again...but hopefully not for long. I had major surgery, which brought on my panic attacks. I had 3 within 2 days. Maybe that isn't a lot, but felt like it. Just to soothe your mind, your bp and pulse rates are fine! 90's is normal (a little on the high end, but still normal). I had ekg, and a echo done back in December. B/c of the surgery and I found out that I had a heart murmur and due to my anxiety. I was constantly checking my pulse, my heart beat, my blood pressure and it just made me go nuts! My dog finally chewed up my monitor, and so there went that. It was a blessing. I too looked up everything on line. It stressed me out. I finally decided that I needed to chill, that if something was wrong, things would get worse. I also had a cough like you. It ended up being asthma related cold. So, I had to have an inhaler...you might need that. NOT for everyday...just with a cold. That said, how old are you and are you on medication? I am 26 and was on Celexa...stopped b/c I want another baby. But, I have been under a lot of stress, so I am having "swollen" feelings all over my body...THAT is SO scary...anyway you will be fine I am sure. I worry about heart attacks and all that too. The only thing that you can tell yourself is that you have no control over what happens to you. You are very aware of what is happening in your body, that you will find a doc before anything bad happens anyway. This is what my therapist tells me. Good luck. I know EXACTLY what you are going through!!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #15
(male)

blu3crayon HB User

I also have that general feeling of being unwell.. but yes I am 20 and on Xanax.. did i read wrong or did anxiety cause your heart murmur ? or because of it you found the heart murmur ? I Just get paranoid of every little thing relateing to my heart and I find when I check my pulse i tense my neck area to.. I also tend to move my arms and shoulders alot mostly the left arm though the right as well... dont know why lol. As I am also worried is beating weakly right now sigh.

Last edited by blu3crayon; 10-09-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Closed Thread