It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
(female)

bmcm HB User
Question Remeron anyone?

From my post below, "I'm finally going to the dr today", I did go yesterday and she has given me remeron. She acknowledges the anxiety and says this is an anti-depressant that also works on anxiety, also since I tend to lose weight, this one she says opens appetite.
I guess what worries me is the possibile (rare) sight effect of agranulocytosis.
I'm scared of this happening and me getting sick and then having to stop suddenly taking it?
I would love to hear from everyone on it, what your experiences have been both good and bad.
thanks

Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User
Re: Remeron anyone?

I took this for about 2 months in July/August. I was prescribed it specifically because I suffered from insomnia and a complete loss of appetite thanks to my anxiety. I will say it helped in the sleep department, but a little too much. At 15mg, I could sleep for 10 hours and still wake up exhausted. As for increasing appetite, it didn't do a darn thing for me in that department. It's been almost 4 months since my anxiety started and I still don't feel like eating. I'm forcing myself though and have miraculously managed not to lose any weight...probably because I was sleeping so much and not burning as many calories. Given that I was on it for such a short time, I can't really say whether it's a good or bad drug. Having been off it for only a week, there are moments every day when I think I should be back on it. I'm hoping I don't have to resort to that, but it is a possibility. What dosage have you been prescribed? I've read that the sedative effects are actually less the higher you go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

whoevea HB User

i was on it and it did help me sleep and it took away my Anxiety.
but my appetite was off the wall. i could eat 24/7. i gained about 15 pounds from it and i didnt need to gain any weight. that was the only reason why i stopped taking it.
i lost all the weight i gained from it and would never take it again because of the weight gain.

The Following User Says Thank You to whoevea For This Useful Post:
ksamiams (10-07-2012)
Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Hi bmcm,

I've been on Remeron since the end of May. My major problem was severe anxiety/panic, although they say depression goes with it & I've had a lot of health problems which for sure are making me depressed.

It increased my apetite immediately. In fact I woke up during the night after I took my first dose & was looking for a midnight snack. Previous to that I had no apetite at all for a couple of months & had lost a lot of weight.
Since May I have gained about 7 lbs & really don't want to gain any more. I like my size 4 jeans..

I was very worried about the white blood count issue also as I have Lupus, but I just had lab work done & all was ok. If you really are worried ask to have labs done periodically if you decide to stay on the Remeron.

As far as how it has worked-- I'm not sure.... I frequently think of asking my doc to let me try something else but I'm afraid I may be worse. I am not in the severe state of "terror" as I call it, but I do get that feeling of anxiety creeping over me several times throughout the day. I've also been feeling a little depressed but I know it is because I have had a lot of personal stress lately. I've have never taken meds before this so I'm not sure what to expect, but I was hoping it would be better than this. I am on 22.5 mgm taken every night-- it will help you sleep like a log. The groggy feeling in the morning will go away after a while & gets better with increased dose ( weird I know). I am also taking Buspar 7.5 mgm 2 x day for the anxiety but I'm not sure about this drug either.

I'm not being of much help.
But- I would say go for it- I don't think you have to be afraid of it. If you suffer from anxiety you should have something to take on as needed basis for first few weeks as anxiety can increase when first taking Remeron or any anti depressant. My doc told me to take up to three .25mgm Xanax a day during the first few weeks. In fact she told me not to wait for the anxiety to kick in but to take a dose in the AM & then see how the day went. I did use the Xanax a few times in the beginning. I still get the urge to take a Xanax frequently, but I am avoiding it because of the Buspar. This whole thing is becoming too complicated for me with all the other meds I take, but I am trying to hang in there.

Good luck & let me know how you do-- maybe I am expecting too much...

anxiousinnj

Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

I swear I must be the only user of this drug on the face of the planet who still did not want to eat while on it. I find that a bit amusing given that that's one of the major reasons I agreed to take it in the first place. Sooo, take my experience with a grain of salt. If you're like MOST people, it will probably make you hungry.

Kate (anxiousinnj), good to see you're still hanging in there, but not so good to see you're still struggling with the anxiety. The two losses I mentioned a while back made me stay on the Remeron for another month, so I can definitely relate to your depression. My *major* anxiety passed quite a while ago (I haven't touched the clonazepam) but the depression is still lingering. Will I ever feel normal again? I'm starting to doubt it.

I'm going to see how I adjust to being off the Remeron for the next week. I've been experiencing bouts of all-night insomnia again without it (usually fueled by me worrying about something), but it was just becoming WAY too sedating for me. I felt like I was sleeping my life away. I don't know what's worse: no sleep or too much of it. In any event, have you found the 22.5mg dose to be less sedating than 15mg? My doctor had suggested that I try the 30mg before I came off it, but I was really reluctant. Then I knew I'd really "be on it" and would have to take a much longer time tapering off it. I'm anti-med to begin with, so I'm not exactly a doctor's dream. I do, however, worry that I came off it too soon. I'm not feeling 100% better yet, and I've read articles that say if you come off an anti-depressant before you're ready to (they recommend at least 6 months after you're feeling normal again) that you have a high chance of experiencing depression again. It's kind of a no-win situation, eh?

Old 09-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Kathy! I didn't realize that was you.
Yes, I'm still sticking it out with the Remeron although I honestly came very close this week to calling the doc & saying let's try something else....or nothing--like you, I just want off these meds-- I have sooo many other meds & this is just adding to me med paranoia.

Anyway-- the 22.5 mgm is not a problem with grogginess at all. I sleep through the nite & I'm fine in the morning. My problems start around 11-12 noon-- when I feel the anxiety stuff happening. She added Byspar for that reason , but I'm not so sure about this one eityher. She wanted me to take 15 mgm 2 x day but it made me way too weird & more anxious. So on my own I cut back to 7.5 mgm 2 x day & I'm thinking of doing the 7.5 mgm 3 x day which I know will be fine with the doc since she wanted me to take 30 mgm per day & she didn't care how it was divided.

If you decide to try the Remeron again I would say go for the higher dose-- I'm even thinking maybe I should go back up to the 30 mgm. I was pretty groggy with the 30 mgm, but I think that may have subsided. I had major constipation at 30 mgm which was another reason she cut it back to 22.5. But I am now taking fiber supplements which work like a dream.

I don't know what to do about this feeling depressed-- I wasn't like this before-- just more anxious--at least that's how I thought I was. I don't see how meds can help when it's situational things that are causing the problem-- can't make the situations go away-- that's why I feel depressed.

I'm just such a chicken to try another med all over again..... I know you can relate...lol

Take care,

anxiousinnj

Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i was just put on remeron last night for insomnia, panic attacks and depression. since i am med sensitive the dr. thought we would try this. it is one of the only anri-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs i haven't taken. klonopin was the only one i had no problems with. with the weight issue i just gained 25 pounds being out of work and a thyroid problem so don't need anymore. we agreed that i would get weighed everday for a while an dif i gain 5 pounds to stop taking it and call him immediately. took it last night around 10:00 and was asleep within an hour BUT was up by 4::00 as usual then dosed off and on until i finally got up around 7:00. feel like i could lay here all day. in my experience with elavil i had to take it 6:00 p.m. in order to get up in the morning. i will play with the time a little and watch the weight and see what happens.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

ICC,

If the Remeron doesn't knock you out for the night, be careful as you will raiding the fridge-- not for healthy foods either. I've been eating chocolate ice cream out of the container-- I never did that-- always thought that was disgusting ! Hopefully it won't affect your appetite the way it did mine. It wa fine in the beginning as I had lost so much but now I need the appetite to slow down.

Let us know how you feel on the Remeron-- not oo many people on here take this one. It's supposed to be such a good drug, but still have these terror like feelings that creep in throughout the day.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ANXIOUSINNJ------SECOND NIGHT BETTER THAN THE FIRST. TOOK IT AT 9:00 ASLEEP BY 11:00. TOSSED AND TURNED A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT IT WAS PHYSICAL PAIN THAT WOKE ME UP. WAS ABLE TO GET RIGHT BACK TO SLEEP UNTIL 7:00 THIS MORNING. HAVE BREAKS OF ANXIETY DURING THE DAY BUT IT'S ONLY MY SECOND DAY. I HOPE IT WORKS SINCE I HAVE SO MANY BIG PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW THAT I JUST COULD'NT PULL MYSELF UP THIS TIME. AS FAR AS THE EATING GOES I EAT THE ICE-CREAM OUT OF THE BOX WHEN I'M ANXIOUS SO THAT'S NOT FOREIGN TO ME. I HAVE FOUND MY APPETITE AND SMOKING HAVE BOTH DECREASED IN THE PAST DAY. IF I'M UNDERSTANDING YOU RIGHT YOU WENT THROUGH THIS AND THEN APPETITE CAME BACK WITH A VENGENCE? I'LL HAVE TO BE AWARE SINCE I AM A DIET CONTROLLED DIABETIC AND NOT THAT I DON'T HAVE THOSE SWEET AND CARB CRAVINGS I AM REALLY CAREFUL MOST OF THE TIME. THAT WAS A BIG PROBLEM FOR ME IN THE PAST COUPLE OF MONTHS. SO UNHAPPY, STRESSED, ANXIOUS AND THEN THE DEEP DEPRESSION SET IN THAT I PAID NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I WAS EATING. NOTICED YESTERDAY THAT I HAD A NORMANL APPETITE AND COULDN'T EAT AS MUCH IN ONE SITTING AS I WAS. I ALWAYS SAID BEING MED SENSITIVE IS SOMETIMES A BLESSING . I TEND TO HAVE THE OPPOSITE REACTION TO DRUGS. HERE'S HOPING FOR US.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #10
(male)

edz61 HB User

I took Remeron for 2 months. The 1st day I was like a Zombie, the 1st week after that felt great and after that it did nothing but helped me sleep better. I also gained 12 pounds and I never ever gain weight. I stopped taking it and lost the weight in 2 weeks. I hated it but I hope it works for you guys.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-05-2006 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Removed chat room, text message "word" and replaced it with the proper word. Ms_Mod

Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #11
(female)

LemonSupreme HB User

I took my 6th dose of Remeron tonight. I have gained 5 lbs. since being on it. I have never had a problem with gaining weight and could always eat whatever I wanted. I hate this side effect. I am going to talk to my Dr. next week about switching me. As for the anxiety/panic, I have not had one ounce of it since being on this. The first few days I felt dizzy and groggy but that went away. My dose was increased to 30 mg. today. My Dr. said it works more like an appetite suppressant when the dosage is upped - we'll see!

Old 10-06-2006, 05:16 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

ok----i took my 3rd dose last night. have gained 2 pounds and have no idea why since i have no appetite. had a horrendous one before i took the remeron. haven't had an anxiety attack since i took it and am not down in the dumps anymore. sleeping is erratice first night i didn't, second was great and then last night i tossed and turned alot. dr. told me at 5 # to stop it and call him. see him again oct. 31st. don't know if he will up it or even if i'll still be on it by then. taking one day at a time. have to admit my mood is more stable and i think tha's onw of the biggest claims to fame it has. keep in touch i'm really interested in this. in taking drugs before that have caused about a 15 # weight gain as soon as i stopped taking them the weight fell off. i am wondering if some drugs cause fluid retention and that;s the weight gain. i find it hard to believe any of us can gain that much weight that quickly and lose it that quickly unless it's fluid retention.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #13
(female)

ICC, how many mg of Remeron are you currently taking? Are you finding that it's helping your anxiety/depression?

Old 10-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

I'm glad to see the Remeron is helping some of you.
I've come to the conclkusion that it is not giving me the help I need right now.
I've had yet more medical diagnopses dumped on me & I am having severe anxiety again as well as feeling very depressed- just want to sleep, no interest in doing anything I need to be doing. I guess that means depression right?
I am calling my p-doc tomorrow- I just don't like this combo of Remeron & Buspar- it's not helping me cope with the frightening health issues that keep coming at me. Do any of the anti depressants really make that much of a difference ?
This is the first time I have taken meds....
My apetite has slowed down, in fact I'm not that interested in food the past few days but I'm sure its because of worry & anxiety.
I am taking 22.5 mgm of Remeorn at night ( & I do sleep like a log).
Buspar 7.5 mgm 2-3 times per day-- I don't feel it doing much for the anxiety.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

anxiousagain----dr. started me on 15 mg. right now i am depression and anxiety free. it is a great mood stabilizer but not a great sleep aid. still tossing and turning alot during the night. getting a couple more hours than i was though. and the weight thing i don't get. it looked like i gained about 2 pounds in 5 days. got weighed yesterday and lost 4. i still think it's fluid retention. don't know if dr. will up it the end of the month. i believe remeron's claim to fame is being a mood stabilizer and it has definitely done that.

Closed Thread