It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #1
(female)

sharond HB User
Now 48 and experienced Anxiety Attacks from Age 4

Hi everyone

I have been suffering anxiety attacks since I was 4 years of age and am now 48. I have not taken any medication apart from anti depressants which I took on and off for years but feel they made no difference. I personally feel anxiety attacks are part of our makeup and maybe some hidden issues which we have kept inside of us. When I have an attack (and mine could be weeks or months apart) I feel light headiness/diziness like I am sinking to the floor and if I don't lie down I will fall down. I find it difficult to breath and shake all over and sometimes throw up. As a child I would wake with pins and needles in my hands and they would appear 10 times bigger than what they were and my mother would have to rub them until the circulation returned and they (in my mind) looked normal again. I know this may sound strange but of late I have discovered that a familiar sight or sound can trigger an anxiety attack on me. I also get the feeling that I have experienced whatever it is I was doing at the time before and have recollections of memories but afer the attack have much difficulty remembering what those memories were. I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced my symptoms. I have somewhat learnt to live with these attacks.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Re: Now 48 and experienced Anxiety Attacks from Age 4

sharond - I think you are right that anxiety is just part of our makeup. I have always been a worrier as far back as I can remember. One of my daughters has anxiety, too. She is 8 and she has shown signs of anxiety since she was 2. Right now she is having a very difficult time with it and is having trouble even going to school. I'm sort of glad I have anxiety so I can relate to her.

I also have had a feeling that I have done something before which causes some anxiety for me. It doesn't cause me to go into an attack or anything, but I do get a weird feeling and kind of get dizzy when it happens. Never really thought much of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
(female)

sharond HB User

Hi Smurfy33

Thank God I have reached someone else that has similar symptoms to me. After 40 odd years of experiencing anxiety attacks like mine I have felt very alone. I have never really spoken in depth about this with anyone else before. The feeling or sensation for better word of having seen, or been or done whatever I am doing at the time is such a strange sensation. At times I really thought I was going mad. It could be something as simple as looking at a pink towel or throwing the washing into a washing machine which was the last one. I don't know your background or your daughter's but I came from an abused family. My father was an alcoholic that beat my mother, my sisters and myself. My mother was very ill all thoughout my childhood and I really feel that my anxiety attacks with the pins and needles in the hands as a child were just a nervous reaction to what was going on around me but unfortunately the anxiety has remained with me. My symptoms have changed throughout the years and have got worse but in saying this I know that it will pass and is not life threatening. I sometimes break down and cry also afterward and feel exhausted for the rest of the day. I am glad that you are able to relate to your daughter and let her know that it will be okay and that she is not the only one out there with these problems. Take care and thank you so much for replying to my post.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

sharond
I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder 13 years ago I am 32 now.I have had the same thing you described except like the other poster I don't panic really over it but it is very strange.I also grew up in an abusive home(mostly verbal abuse).Now being older I think back and I remember sometimes having panic/anxiety attacks from nightmares and just the crap going on in the home.Anyway, so yeah I agree I think this disorder started with me back in childhood,or was always there,and it just progressed and changed in ways over the years.I handle it all tons better then I used to but still have some ruff spots at times.Thanks for sharing and take care

Last edited by tnmomofive; 09-28-2006 at 09:04 PM.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

sharond - I have to say, I was not abused as a child. I have a wonderful mother and father. My dad suffered from panic attacks that started in his 30s. I remember the ambulance coming a few times because he thought he was having a heart attack and my grandparents would come get me. That probably happened 3 times. I never knew what was going on until my anxiety started and I talked to my dad about it. He said I sound like a carbon copy of himself when he was my age. He has dealt with this for 20+ years now. He is on Zoloft which has helped him wonderfully. I know that anxiety can come on for different reasons. I'm sure your abuse had something to do with it. I just take one day at a time. Right now I'm doing well. Tomorrow, who knows. Take care of yourself! =)

Old 09-29-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
(female)

sharond HB User

Hi Guys

You don't know what a revalation this is for me as I have kept a lot of these things to myself for many years and to hear just some relevance in other's experiences makes me feel somewhat a little more normal if we can say that. Life is just about experiences and some of us have experienced more than others. If it was not yourself personally with what you have experienced via your parent's anxiety attacks are from their experiences even if your parents appear to have normal lives. Does that make sense? After all my experience in my 48 years of life and going to psychiatrists, psychologists etc etc I now realise that there is no real normality to life. I have to admit that in my years I have had a very difficult life and expect to have the problems that I have experienced and the fact that we are all made up differently in our abilities to cope with stress. Stress is the biggest issue in our lives from my perception. It has caused me no end of emotional but now physical problems (should post these on other posts). I seriously feel I could write a book. O'h I forgot to mention for Smurfy33 (and only just in case this has happened to your daughter) (and only because it has not happened to me since childhood) that I also had experiences of all sounds being audible very fast. I know this sounds so stupid in writing this but I remember to this day from a very young age and it would stay whilst the pins and needles happened until my dear Mum made them go away. This is just information for you Smurfy33 if it is relevant or anyone else that is experiencing this. Someone else wrote about an inner ear ear situation and I really don't know if this is relevant or not but by the age of 7 I nearly lost my hearing from many absces and had emergency surgery on my eardrums. Life back in the 60's was different and no real answers to all of this but our thoughts put together may make some sense? The other other person (sorry fogot your user name with Dad going off in the Ambulance). I experienced this many many times with my Mother. She suffered anxiety but she was diagnosed with a heart condition eventually but I am sure the many times she was returned home it was probably an anxiety attack rather than heart attack. I was too young to remember what happened back then. This is so good to be able to relate to you all. I am happy to discuss anything further.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

It's great that you are now talking about this and airing.My mom is Bipolar and my dad well he just I dunno has alot of issues going on upstiars.Bipolar runs on my moms side though big her mother (my grandmother) has it and her dad (my grandad) had it really bad when he was alive so bad he had to have someone to take care of him he just could not deal with ANY stress.Of course that was many years ago too back when mental illness just was not seen as it is today and there was'nt much help availble.Anyway, my grandad died young ,before I was even born,of a major heart attack which I do blame his mental illness on to a good degree.I feel rather lucky actualy just being diagnosed with anxiety disorder because I watched my mother growing up with the Bipolar and its really horrible she had 3 nervous breakdowns and the last one a doctor told her "if you have any more breakdowns you will not come out the same im afraid." So shes gotten better help and is doing alot better these days keeps herself real busy with work and all.Your right some of us do get to experiance more then others and in a way I feel this disorder has a been a blessing because I am certainly stronger for it it has also taught me that life is be enjoyed so on my good days I try to enjoy it best I can even if im just sitting at home.Alot of people who do not have this disorder cannot understand alot of the feelings and thing we experiance I mean I think they experiance some of them but just not to the level we do and some we just cannot put into words they are so strange lol.Ohwell I can ramble on forever thanks for letting me share with you.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
(female)

sharond HB User

Just need to write. Thanks for reply. I do believe that bipolar is a totally different issue though but this is from my limited knowledge. My sister not long ago divorced her husband only discovering through the divorce proceedings that her husband had bipolar disorder which was an issue that I do not thoroughly understand but caused many issues.

Again, I don't know what all our diagnosis issues are supposed to mean but again I reiterate that I "personally" feel that our life experiences have so much to explain for our physical. And, again I have to reiterate that the experiences in our lives just have to cause stress which cause not only mental but physical issues. If I could relate on this post what I have been through over the last 6 years or so in particular (in my physical issues) I think I could write a "best seller" (well maybe in Australia). My physical problems have far outweighed my anxiety but I just found it interesting to read other people's experiences and to relate mine also. Anxiety causes much stress and sometimes at the most inconvenient times which can be embarrassing and even though I say embarrassing it is incredible that sometimes you feel so out there with your attack some people don't even notice?? Do you get that? We all just have to try and understand that we have had a hard time along the way and sometimes it is genetic and handed down to us (thanks Mum and Dad) and sometimes it is just life. We just have a weakness in our genes. Take care.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #9
(female)

sharond HB User

tnmoofive

Thanks for your reply. Life deals some issues that some of us have to deal with. Sometimes they make us stronger. Thank you for sharing your experience. It is just reassuring to me after all this time that I am not on my own as I have not discussed this openly before. Take care.

Closed Thread