It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Tranquilizers or SSRI's?

I wonder why they prescribe the SSRI's so much more than the mild tranquilizers, they don't like to prescribe the Xanax, Ativan or Klonopin because they can be addicting, but how about the SSRI's, you become dependent on them too, and you have to taper off them. They also have very mild side effects compared to the SSRI's. I'm just curious because it can cause anxiety in people until it kicks in, and it seems like more people than not with anxiety have a hard time with the SSRI's. Any thoughts? Michelle

Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: Tranquilizers or SSRI's?

My doc put me on Xanax and I read all this stuff about getting addicted and I freaked. But Xanax really worked for me!!!! I asked for an SSRI cuz I was scared of an being addicted and he gave me Lexapro and the Xanax until it kicks in. And the Lexapro has been working but alot of side effect.

But my Dr and I talked about this addiction to Benzo's he thinks the problem is people who are already drug addicts. And Benzo's do have a street value other addicts who are on meth use them to come down. That is a round about way he explained it to me.

I was started on Xanax for smoking cessation and it works well with me. When I quit smoking I found that nicotine was covering my anxiety attacks for alot of years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread