It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

TLB50 HB User
New Ativan User

I have been having some anxiety issues. Not bad, but enough to disrupt my life and cause some physical problems. I went to my GP today and he gave me Ativan. His comment was that this is not neccessarily a longtern commitment but he wants me to take it for a month and see how I feel. He gave me 1 mg tablets and said to start with 2 a day (one in the morning, one in the middle of the day). He said if this seems like too much I can break them in half and take 1/2 mg, twice a day or even 1/2 mg once a day. For the first month he wants me to take at least some everyday. Seems like a reasonable approach. Is there any thing I should know before I get too far along with this medicine? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by TLB50; 09-28-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

cebo HB User
Re: New Ativan User

Hi Tlb, I take Ativan too, for me 1 mg is very strong so just be careful if you are driving etc as they can make you very sleepy . I found I couldn't handle 1 mg and half a tab was plenty, but if I have a panic attack a whole tab certainly works very well or if your anxiety is through the roof they work a treat. Easy does it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
(male)

TLB50 HB User

Thanks, Is this usually a long term fix or short term?

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-28-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

cebo HB User

Well I would have to say it is a short term fix (for most)......but I intend it to be a long term one for me as my situation is probably abit different to many. I have very high blood pressure when I get too anxious (210/140 has been recorded) and then a panic attack can follow (neally gave my doctor one when she took my BP). I don't want to take SSRI (too scared of the side effects) so I only take Ativan as a last resort.
My doctor doesn't want me to become addicted to them, so I really try only to averge no more than half of a 1 mg a day...sometimes I don't need any for a week.
I find the mental pain or physical pain of anxiety hard enough sometimes but those days when you have both together can be unbearable.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Hi I also have been taking ativan for about a month and a half now but I have made sure to only take .5 mg a day even though I have 1 mg tablets I just break them in half. Ativan can be very addicting but taking .5 a day should not bother you. I have gotten to the point now where I can take ativan during the day and it doesn't make me sleepy it just calms me down and I can do all of my normal activities. Doctors don't like to prescribe it very often so try to use it sparingly. (spell check?) So Good luck to you, and if you have any other questions please feel free to write!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

ativan (like all benzos) is highly addictive. my mother has been on it for almost 30 years I beleive and tried several times to come off it.

just be careful. i would think 1mg is too high a dose to start.
I am taking xanax which is similar, and i try to take the very least amount possible (0.25mg) once or maybe twice a day to take the edge off my anxiety (mostly caused by the prozac I'm taking).

hope you feel better.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
(male)

TLB50 HB User

Well, I have been taking 0.5 mg (once or twice a day) for almost 3 months now. At first it was 0.5 mg 2 times per day but recently about half the time I am only taking 0.5 mg once a day. Things in my life are much better now and I never planned on this as a longterm thing. I want to get completely off the medication. My plan is to begin taking 0.25 mg (once a day) for a week or so and then cut back to 0.25 mg every other day and so on until I am not taking any. Is this a reasonable approach? I assume it is best to withdraw gradually, but what is the downside of stopping cold turkey?

Last edited by TLB50; 12-26-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB50
I assume it is best to withdraw gradually, but what is the downside of stopping cold turkey?
Do not quit cold turkey after taking it daily for 3 months. Although some people can quit that way with little difficulty, some people feel like unimaginable hell if they quit without tapering. To avoid those horrible symptoms you need to withdraw gradually, over several weeks (or longer if necessary).

Closed Thread