It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

aliceliddell HB User
Exclamation Anxiety and Insomnia!

hello to all!

it's my first post here and, though i'd never thought about using a forum, i'm so desperate right now that i though i'd give it a chance, and this place seems full of nice willing-to-help people so i thought maybe it'd be of help

my problem is i've been suffering from constant anxiety crisis for the last 5 days. they're not anxiety attacks that come and go. no. these "nerves" stay like in my stomach, chest and throat thoughout the WHOLE day-NON stop. no matter what i do, even if i go out, hang out with friends, sit and watch tv, walk, go online, etc. the nerves are ALWAYS there. keeping me distracted will not help at all.

the HUGE problem is when it comes to go to bed. I haven't been able to sleep for 4 nights. not even one hour. i'm starting to fear nightime right now, because i know what when i will lay in bed the anxiety, the nerves, will still be there and won't let me sleep. i try and i try, but it doesn't work. i just want to cry because it's so damned frustrating and feel as if this was gonna last forever. and i know my family is so tired of waking up late at night to take me to the ER or just be with me that I don't want to wake them up anymore and feel terribly alone and helpless.

i've gone to the ER three times these past days. they gave me valium and tranxilium. yesterday night they gave me 4 (!!) valium and 2 tranxilium and they made me sleepy but the anxiety/nerves were still there... so i couldn't sleep.

i have an appointment with one neurologist for next week but... what will i do until then? just get used to the insomnia and the anxiety? i'm even starting to fear my bedroom. anyone can relate with my problem?

any suggestions or experience-shares will be highly appreciated. thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!

mua!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
(female)

NATALiE09 HB User
Re: Anxiety and Insomnia!

you are not alone with this one! believe me. i suffered from something similar to this during summer. it was terrible. i read constantly that insomnia causes anxiety.. but anxiety causes insomnia as well, so it's like a never ending cycle. i would finally get to sleep at about 8am or so, but it was so nervewracking to be nervous to just fall asleep. i am sort of over it now. my schedule wears me out ridiculously, so that helps i suppose. i hope you get to feeling better. you need sleep!! it makes you more anxious to not sleep. i used to take sleeping pills during summer to help me. i took simply sleep.. two of them.. before i went to bed. try it!

Old 09-29-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

I have this also. My anxiety is constant and I fear the night because I know if I do fall asleep I will wake up within an hour or two and not be able to go back to sleep because of the anxiety. This disorder is really baffling as it can cause so many problems. I'm just grasping at straws right now and trying to get some help. Hang in there, keep looking for a solution.

Tori

Old 09-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

same here !! been having a horrible stressful time with lots of problems and the anxiety is horrendous. been sleeping 2 hours a night if i'm lucky. have been here before and know that until i clear my mind and calm down sleep will not come no matter how exhausted i am.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

KArast HB User

I'm well familar with this problem also. I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist ASAP so he/she may prescrbe somethig for you to break the cycle of your insomnia and anxiety. Klonopin worked well for me. It's pretty impossible to "tell yourself to relax" when your anxiety is spiraling out of control and you're sleep deprived. Once you start sleeping again (with the proper meds such as klonopin), then you can address your fear of sleep with a clearer mind. Consider CBT (cognitive Behavioral Therapy) which will help you restructure your negative thoughts about sleep and teach you not to "push your adrenaline button" in your brain which sets off the anxiety. There's a good book out there which describes this in detail called "Say goodnite to insomnia" by Greg Jacobs. It's worked for lots of people like yourself.

Foremost, this insomnia is a PHASE and will not last forever although it might seem to. Once your anxiety is under control and you feel more rested, you will no longer see your bedroom as the enemy, but your friend. The more we fear sleep and TRY to attain it, the harder it is to get. In the meantime, tell yourself that sleepless nights while they're making you unhappy, are not life threatening and you WILL survive. Hang in there, but DO get to see a doc for meds to break the viscious cycle you're in right now.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

that's exactly what I did. am scheduled to go back into counseling next week. have an appt with a physchiatrist for posssible meds. i have taken klonopin off and on for years. it is not working right now but since i am med sensitive it will be hard to find something i can tolerate. In the past i have been able to shut my mind down. it takes time and alot of work. as you can see right now i am in the throws of anxiety and depression added to it for the first itme in my life so though i know all this worrying is useless i cannot stop. hoping the dr. can find something to help without going through trial and error with medds as i have done in the past. will give him the list of everything i ahve tried and couldn't tolerate. maybe he'll have something in his bag of tricks.

Closed Thread