It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User
Essential Tremor, anxiety

A few weeks ago someone had posted about "uncontrollable head shaking" and I totally related to a poster (lorriem) and their struggle with it. I saw my neurologist yesterday and was diagnosed with ET. It looks like I am in the 50% that does not have the genetic mutation as no one else in my family suffers from this. My doctor seemed pretty confident that it would get progressively worse as I aged (I am only 25) but I refuse to fall into worrying about that. I suppose I was just hoping that people with this and anxiety could encourage me and give me hope that I am not destined to have my head shaking all the time as I get older. Right now it is purely situational - only when under stress, anxious (like when having to take a drink or eat in front of someone I don't know very well) or extremely tired and even then it is not that severe. I think it feels much worse than it looks as no one in my family or my husband has ever seen it happen. I need some hope! Thanks!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Re: Essential Tremor, anxiety

AnnieinPA - My hands shake horribly if I'm nervous. I was cutting my daughter birthday cake in front of my husband's family and my hands were shaking so bad. Everyone could see it and it was so embarrassed. I wonder if it could be related to ET?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User
Re: Essential Tremor, anxiety

Smurfy,

Yes, it absolutely sounds like it could be ET. Hand trembling is the other part of the body that it seems to affect commonly. Look it up online. It seems to be quite a common problem and can be treated. I know it is SO embarrassing when it happens. Anytime that I am the focus of attention (i.e. if a group of people ask me to take a picture for them or if I have to take a drink while sitting at a table with people I don't know very well) mine comes out really really bad. It stinks! I had myself convinced that I was suffering from early onset Parkinson's so I was relieved to hear my neurologist say it was ET. It's embarrassing, but it's not going to harm us! Hope you find some relief.

Closed Thread