It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Question about heart racing...

Does anyone else notice when they get out of bed in the morning their heart jumps up about 40 beats? Mine is about 70 to 80bpm in bed and when I get up in the morning, it shoots up to 130 and starts skipping and I feel hot. I hate it, and it happens even when I'm not anxious and in a very happy mood. It even happens off and on all day when I stand up. I keep wondering if my whole heart skipping (I have pac's and pvc's) and racing problems are something hormonal. The Dr.'s always seem to be quick to just put you on an SSRI and think your just anxious, which we are, but sometimes their can be something causing the anxiety. I'm just tired of my heart doing things, and I know that they haven't killed me yet, but some take my breath away, get me dizzy, racing heart afterwards, make my left arm ache, and yet this is all OK? Hard to tell ourselves that. I see my Dr. one week from Monday, and I am going to talk to her about my hormones, and other possibles causes. (I have already had blood work done for CBC, EKG's, holter, and echo) She mentioned giving me a beta blocker, but she really doesn't want to. I am going to go get some Xanax today, very short term she told me, funny though, she had no problem giving me a 60 day supply of Ativan? By the way, my heart still skips when I'm on the Ativan, we'll see on the Xanax. I went off the Zoloft, and have developed a major upper respiratory cold and my asthma is crazy. I'm so glad I have you guys to talk to, because I know no one here that has this. Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Re: Question about heart racing...

miche31- My heart rate jumps high in the morning, too, as soon as I get out of bed. It also happens during the day if I'm sitting at my work computer for a while and then get up. I'm anxious to see about the outcome of your hormone testing. I feel that a lot of my anxiety is due to hormones. I get PMS bad and my anxiety is horrible during that time. I'm only 33 but I wonder if I could be perimenopausal? Take care.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

My heart rate jumps like that, especially in the morning, but sometimes anytime I get up from a lying or sitting position. I take a beta-blocker and that pretty much takes care of the problem. Your doctor, like many docs, probably likes to prescribe Ativan more because docs think it is less addictive than other benzos. Unfortunately, it is less effective, especially for panic. That doesn't mean it doesn't help at all, and it may work fine for you, I know people who have good results with it. I'd push for a small dose of beta-blocker, especially since you've had heart tests. If you don't like the bb, you can just go off it in a few days, no sweat. But if it works well for you, you may have significantly less symptoms. I'm taking metoprolol now (the generic version of Lopressor). I take it twice per day and that gives me good coverage so that when I wake in the morning it hasn't worn off. The truth about some of the once a day, 24 hr. meds is that they usually don't last 24 hours and you may awake with the racing heart. I found that happened with atenolol, which is supposed to last 24 hours. Take care.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

Thanks girls, for your input. I am 35, so I too wonder about perimonopuase. I get bad during the time of my period, the week before and few days of. Strange.
CircusSquirrel, why do you take a Beta-blocker? I was just curious if it was for anxiety or a heart condition.
Thanks! Michelle

Old 09-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

I take a beta-blocker for my rapid heart rate. Since I was about 18, I have had a rapid heart rate (but thankfully normal rhythm) that isn't related to anxiety. It is related more to my body postion (better lying down or sitting than standing), what I'm doing, all sorts of things. The docs determined it was benign, and it's apparently not that uncommon for people to have rapid heart rates with no known cause (at least the rapid rates that have a regular rhythm). It just comes and goes, isn't related to panic attacks or anything. At least it is controlled by the beta-blockers, though. I just have the problem of beta dosage sometimes. When I work out a lot, my resting heart rate naturally goes lower so I have to cut back on my dosage of medicine, and then sometimes my heart will just decide to race for whatever reason and I have to take a little extra medicine. I have also had weird "skippy" beats that plague so many of us since about age 14, and I think the beta-blockers help those a little, too. My heart skips get worse right before my period.

Closed Thread