It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User
Anxiety and Pregnancy

Hi everyone!

I am seeking some advice because I started having panic attacks a couple of months back. I think it happened because I took a job working from home which I though was a good thing, but turns out it left me feeling completely isolated and I became agoraphobic.
Then I started having anxiety just going out and doing normal things, again, this all stemmed from working at home, but also buying a new house (in a more isolated location-makes me freak out just thinking of moving there!) and a couple of deaths in the family.

So, loads of catalysts have all come together at once and created this perfect storm of anxiety!

So, I have been seeing a cognitive therapist, my last choice was to go on meds because my husband and I were trying for a baby. The therapy wasn't really helping my anxiety too much, I was still having the panic attacks although maybe less of them. I think the therapy brought up more things from my past that I'd tried to forget and maybe ended up making my anxiety worse?
Anyway, I decided I needed to take back control of my life so I went on the meds. Prozac and Xanax (as needed because the Prozac is giving me an increased anxiety effect).
Now, what do I do about trying for the baby?
Had anyone here started and then stopped meds when they became pregnant. I heard that Prozac is safe to use in pregnacy but I really wouldn't want to even take that risk.

I heard that the hormones released during pregnancy can sometimes eliminate panic attacks altogether (whilst pregnant)? Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

It seems that many of the posts on this board are either from younger people or people who already have kids....I am trying to figure this out because I am in mid thirties and really don't want to wait any longer for kids. My career always came first, but now I am at a place where that is less important to me and I want to be able to build a family of my own. maybe the deaths in my family made me realise how short life is?

I would really love to hear anyones thoughts or advice on this subject!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
(female)

langy HB User
Re: Anxiety and Pregnancy

hi girlwitstyle im also mid thirties and would like to start a family but after 18 years of anxiety dont know if itll make it worse or better. ive heard the same as you but dont know how true it is.maybe what we have to say to ourselves is take the chance and deal with the anxiety if it arises. good luck langy x

Old 10-04-2006, 04:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I think it depends on the person maybe.I can tell you both though that during all my pregnancies I either had no problem with anxiety or it was at an all time low.I took meds during one of my pregnancies but the 4 other pregnancies no meds and I have to say other then the normal pregnancy woe's I felt pretty good.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Hello again,

So an update. I'm now 9 weeks pregnant...I came off the Prozac just before I found out I was pregnant. Now, anxiety back worse than ever! I think all this surging hormones are to blame! I went to see my OB gyn and she said to start taking my 20mg of prozac immediately. But, I did online research and it scared me so I haven't. I'm wondering if I can make it through the first trimester, at least the baby will be better developed by then and it may be safer.
Anyone taking prozac for anxiety during pregnancy?

Please help!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

vicky88 HB User

hello,

First of all congratulations to you and your husband on your pregnancy. When I found that I was pregnant last Feb. 2006, my psychiatrist then stopped my medicines. I was taking efexor xr and lamictal then so I totally went off my medications. BAD IDEA!!! After a few weeks, my ocd/anxiety and depression came back and it only became worse throughout the months. I couldn't take it anymore so I went to another psychiatrist who said that it's safe for me to take prozac, I was already 6 months pregnant at that time. I took up to 60 mg of prozac and it helped a little bit with my sickness. My baby was born very healthy and she's 9 months now and very active and a happy baby. The only this is I'm still suffering from my ocd (purely obsessive thoughts and depression). It has been 17 months already. I'm taking new meds now, celexa and klonopin and I'm hoping and praying that these meds will work for me. My psychiatrist even said that I shouldn't have stopped my medication bec. when you're pregnant, you're more prone to anxiety and depression since your hormones go crazy! If I were you, I would take the prozac now and follow your doctor or else you might get worse like what happened to me and I would never want anyone to suffer the way that I'm suffering now....I hope I was able to give you a sound advice.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Thanks Vicky, you made me feel better about the meds, yet I still feel like I'm not sure I can take them! What if something happened to the baby because of it and I'm then to blame?
I'd feel awful...does anyone else have any experience actually taking Prozac while being pregnant? What happened? Everything was fine?

Any other help would be appreciated too.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
(female)

bondgrll HB User

Hey Girl,

I am getting ready to start my 5th month with my 4th baby and i have been taking Prozac...it is absolutely the most studied SSRI in pregnancy and the huge article came out in the national news about it's safety during pregnancy. I have cut way down on the Xanax use but will still use it occasionally when needed. My friend who suffered from Panic disorder took 2mg per day for her entire pregnancy because she was literally panicky all the time. Her baby is beautiful and healthy. I had heard also, that sometimes pregnancy can offer you a shield from anxiety and panic but that is not always the case. I suffered from tremendous anxiety and panic with my 3rd baby and thus the reason for prozac during this one. Try to relax and be confident that you are doing what's best for you and your baby!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
(female)

Grace75 HB User

My daughter is 9 months old. I took prozac throughout my pregnancy, and she is fine. No problems whatsoever.

I also had heard that sometimes you can stop depression meds during pregnancy. I tried, but found myself unable to function. When I am not pregnant, I take Lexapro. My doctor switched me to prozac during pregnancy because it is one of the oldest anti depressants and has the most studies.

Prozac stopped working for me. Now, I am trying to conceive again and I'm hoping to stay on Lexapro. I am comfortable with the risk/benefit of continuing on medication.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Hi there,
Thanks for your replies, I think I will go back on the Prozac when I finish my first trimester, which is in a week or so. I have been a mess the last couple of weeks and now need to start a new job so I will definitely need to be panic-free...right now, I cannot even get on the train on my own without panicking. Not good!
I have another ob-gyn appt next Monday so I will talk to her about it (it's a different doctor from my last one) so maybe she will re-confirm it's safe.

I also have a really important meeting tomorrow and I think I will need to take a 0.25mg dose of Xanax to be able to get there, I'm fine in meetings....it's the train journey that I cannot do!

Good luck to all of you and keep me posted!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

I just spoke with my OBGYN the other day and she said that there has been new studies that show that Prozac could cause Pulmonary Hypertension which is a serious lung condition. She suggested that Zoloft would be the best medication to be on.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Hi there,

It's weird because my OB-GYN said last week that Prozac 'was absolutely safe'....Funny, I wonder why they have different info?

I am going on Monday so I will ask the new doctor.
Thanks!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
(female)

Mainegirl HB User

You were able to get a job working from home? God! I would be so happy to never have to see another person again...I'm so tired of all the stupid office politics and it makes me retreat into my office. Yes, people whisper that I'm strange or anti-social but I just can't play the game and pretend to be interested.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #13
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Yes, well, the job from home finished...and now I start a new job in corporate america (a very stressful job, with loads of presentations to make...anxious already!)...and now I'm pregnant and not taking any anxiety medications! i don't know what to do!!

As for the Zoloft being safer. This article was written a couple of months back.
I'm not sure, I guess all these SSRI's have the same risk then? Why does my doc say Prozac is safe!?

Washington, DC: If you want a healthy baby, government agencies in both Canada and the United States warn that you might want to quit taking Zoloft during pregnancy. Last year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and its Canadian counterpart, Health Canada, both issued warnings about combining Zoloft and pregnancy.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-03-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Note edit to your post. Please don't copy and paste material from other sources as it maybe copyrighted. Ms_Mod

Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

I have panic disorder and and going to start trying next month. I haven't been on any meds for 2 years. I am praying that I am one of those people who's anxiety and panic attacks banish while pregnant. I am worried silly over the labor and im not even pregnant yet. It is good to know that there is something there, if needed while pregnant. I know so many people who were on prozac while prego and all there babies were healthy. I haven't heard of zoloft being one to take while pregnant. Hope you are feeling better soon. Hopefully I will be on the journey soon. Try and think of exciting things and enjoy your pregnancy a little. They say its every womans miracle!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Well all i can say is I took Zoloft during the first 3 months of pregnancy with my last child and she was and still is doing just fine.I did however wean off the med during pregnancy due to the advice of my doctor.Some say its alright others feel differently.

Closed Thread