It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

amberil HB User
Unhappy Weight loss from anxiety?????

Has anyone lost weight without even really trying? My doc put me on Lexapro back in June and it made me so sick. I had no appetite and forced myself to eat, which was very little. I only stayed on it for a couple weeks, but during that time I lost 7-8 lbs. Since April 2004 I have lost about 20 lbs and people keep telling my I'm getting so skinny and I hate it!! I worry about it enough as it is and when someone tells me that it always makes me think I have colon cancer or some terrible disease that's causing me to lose this weight. I started a new job a few weeks ago and I am on my feet for 9 hrs and do alot of walking and I'm thinking maybe that's why I'm losing a little more? I can feel bone that I haven't been able to feel in a long time and feel like I'm wasting away, which I'm sure I'm probably not. I'm just wondering if it's not the anxiety and being so high strung because of it? I've gotten my panic attacks under control but still fight the anxious feelings most every day.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Re: Weight loss from anxiety?????

I have lost 12 pounds in 4 weeks without trying. I simply could not eat some days. I would drink shakes like slimfast optima just to get the nutrition. I'm on xanax now so my appetite is coming back some. It's hard on your body going through this crap and not eating anything on top of it really messes you up! My doctor told me about the shakes which at least give you some vitamins, minerals and protein to get you through. Also bananas are good and nutritous. Try to get something in your body even if it's the shakes.

Hang in there! Take Care!

Tori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
(female)

amberil HB User

Hi Tori and thanks for you reply. I have a pretty good appetite now, it was just when I was taking the Lexapro that I didn't have one. I pretty much eat like normal and am still losing a little, that's what worries me. I don't have seconds as much as I used to, but still eat pretty normal. Thanks again for you reply!
Amber

Old 10-02-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

I have been waking up nauseated nearly every morning since my anxiety began 4 months ago. Getting food in me is a constant challenge, but unlike you, I have managed not to lose any weight. Forced feeding isn't fun, but I figure if there were something seriously wrong with me, I would have lost a lot of weight by now. In any event, losing weight while eating normally can be cause for concern, or it could just be you're burning more calories than you're used to. Are you seeing a doctor? Is s/he concerned about the weight loss? If not, then I don't think you have anything to worry about either. It's common for anxious individuals to lose their appetite and thus lose weight.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Your metabolism is probably kicked into high gear-- this happened to me. I had a total loss of appetite but was forcing myself to eat mega calorites a day & was still losing weight.
I was put on Remeron for this reason & awoke the first night starving !! It also slowed down the metabolism & I slowly began to put the weight back on. Now I woud like to lose 3-4 pounds so I can fit back into those size 4 jeans I bought at my skinniest week. Just can't please me ...lol.
For me it was the fear of "why was I not gaining when I was eating". Now that I know I CAN gain if needed I'd like to drop a couple of pounds again. I was just afraid it was going to keep spiraling downward & at 103 lbs I got frightened.

Try chocolate Entemanns donuts-- they have the highest calorie count per bite- dunk them in your coffee which makes them easy to get down when you have that gag thing going on. I was able to get 3 of those in a day when I really was getting scared & that added an extra 1000 calories right there !
Of course it's better to eat healthier, but I'm just suggesting this for quick calories.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Back when my anxiety was really bad I lost a lot of weight. I had that same feeling of wasting away. Once things got a little better I put it back on though so I would try not to stress over it and you could add some Ensure or Boost to your diet for the extra calories and vitamins for now.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

I've noticed this. Partly because my appetite lessens and also because my heart is beating at such a fast rate, I must be burning away calories without even trying.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

Gosh...I tried that too, eating high-calorie foods for the sake of keeping on the weight. I suppose that's effective short term, but nutritionally, you're still compromised. My best advice is that on the days when you know you've not eaten as well as you should have to make sure you take a multivitamin. I never thought I'd see that day when I'd obsess about *losing* weight, but this is my second time dealing with it. (I think because I lost so much weight the last time I'm doubly obsessing about it now.) I'm also a bit chagrined knowing I'm eating less than normal and still maintaining my weight. I have to be doing a number on my metabolism, but I suppose I should just be happy at this point that I'm not wasting away. I just wonder how long I can go through life not wanting to eat. It's scary, which just makes the anxiety worse, which just makes eating less appealing...ah, the endless cycle.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
(female)

cecropia HB User

Of all the people posting, anxiousagain sounds most like me. I too lose my appetite when my anxiety comes back. You said you've been having trouble eating for about 4 months. I've been having the problem for 3 months. This is the third time I'm going through this because I go off my medication for a few years. It's the most horrible symtom I have because I am at my desirable weight and get scared when I start to lose. I lost 8lbs. at first and was able to recover it, but I had to start forcing myself to eat. I went from skim milk back to whole milk and started eating things I normally don't, like doughnuts, cookies, regular pop intstead of diet. I need the calories and I try not to talk about it to my friends or family because everyone is on a diet it seems. I was at a party and my daughter in law started to give me a diet pop because she knows that's all I drink and I said no, I'm drinking regular right now because I need the calories. If looks could kill, I'd be dead. LOL That was not the right thing to say, so I pretty much keep my problem of loss of appetite to myself.

Once my medication starts to work really good, I will get back to loving food again and my weight will start to climb and then I will have to start watching myself and go back to dieting also. I am eating a little better as the days go by, but it's really a scary symtom of my anxiety. If you can't eat, your going to die and I want to live!!! I love food too, and miss going to the all you can eat buffet. My husband and I go usually once a month for a treat and I just can't hardly get a half of a meal in right now. Breakfast is the worst for me. I drink a lot of health shakes too, but I just want my appetite back to normal.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
(female)

amberil HB User

Hi everyone! I have a pretty normal appetite since quitting the Lexapro and I eat quite a bit of fattening food. I have noticed my pulse if fast quite a bit, so maybe that is what burns calories too? And the walking I'm doing at my new job. But is 18-20 lbs loss in 2 1/2 years (about 8-10 lbs from June till now) drastic weight loss? I did mention it to my doc when I went a couple years ago and he didn't seem concerned. Cuz even back then people were telling me I was losing so much weight when they'd see me. My husband doesn't think I'm losing it drastically, but he sees me everyday too. Thanks to everyone who replied! )

Old 10-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
(female)

maili HB User

Your weight lose is perfectly normal and sounds as if it is entirely a result of your anxiety. First, you lost your appetite as a result of your medication which caused you to lose about 8lbs. Now you have regained your appetite but that does not mean that you are automatically going to put the weight back on immediately. Your body as become used to the dropping weight so it will take time for you to put it back on. Secondly, not only are you on your feet 8hrs a day at work, it is a new job....a new job can induce stress/anxiety whether you realize it or not and can easily be a contributing factor to weight loss.
Finally, if your weight loss was do to some horrible disease, (which it's not) you would number 1, have experienced other obvious symptoms long before weight loss. Weight loss as it relates to physical illness occurs drastically, and when the person is very, very ill, i.e. bed ridden, or otherwise incapacitated. Number 2 losing 20lbs over the course of 2 years or 8lbs over the course of 3 months is not drastic enough weight lose to even be concerned about.
If it makes you feel any better I've lost about 10 pounds in a month and I'm still eating the exact same amount as before. Increased levels of stress and anxiety are the culprits.
So, try not to worry too much about your weight everything sounds perfectly normal

Old 10-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
(female)

amberil HB User

Hi maili...thanks so much for your words. That is what my Mom and husband are always trying to tell me, but when I look in the mirror, I'm afraid I'm losing weight sooo fast. I keep track of my weight on paper so I can go back and look at it. I have had stool symptoms/issues that I constantly worry about and therefore I worry about colon cancer and the weight loss scares me too because of that. I can't get it out of my mind, I'm sure that's part of the anxiety..worrying about my health all the time. I hate it!! Thanks again, you did ease my mind. )

Closed Thread