It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 02:42 AM   #1
(female)

bmcm HB User
Thumbs down not sure remeron is helping

I know it has only been 5 days, but frankly I think at times I feel worse. I'm still over-worrying about things, most especially related to mom's health. I have now convinced myself that her complaint of gas build-up in her stomach is due to something serious like ovarian cancer! I can't stop these thoughts nor can I stop myself from searching the net for signs and symptoms to prove/disprove myself!
I no longer feel sleepy during the day on remeron so that is good and haven't developed a sore throat or anything so at least 'm more relaxed about taking it, but I wish it would finally kick in and help me relax a bit, I'm still so anxious all day thinking about my mom...
How long should I wait before assuming its not working and asking the dr to try me on something else? This was the first try at taking a drug for anxiety...

Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Re: not sure remeron is helping

It really will take a few weeks to begin to see improvement and about 6 weeks the full effect should be seen. If you're having a lot of horrible anxiety ask your doctor for temporary help like ativan, valium or xanax in very low dose until the Remeron kicks in. Just a suggestion, I hate to see people suffering with this crap! I hope you call and everything works out.

Take Care and keep us posted on how you're doing!

Tori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

5 days is definitely not enough to know if Remeron is working for you. I gave it 4 weeks and I think I gave up on it too quickly. I would say you should notice some slight improvement within 2 weeks, but it could take a good 4-6 weeks to see *real* improvement. You might also need a dosage adjustment before giving up. What dosage are you on now? The reason I ask is that I've read the starting dose of 15mg is more of a sleep aid than anything else and that you often have to go above that to notice depression/anxiety relief. Again, I gave up on the drug (because I hate taking meds, not because I was noticing no relief) before I could explore that tendency. What I can say is that I never noticed any increased anxiety while on it.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

It took me a good month or more before the day time groggy feeling seemed better.
Like you, the anxiety is still with me & I've been on the Remeron since May. I took Xanax the first few weeks as the psych doc said anxiety might be worse in the beginning- she said I would know when I didn't need the Xanax anymore because it would make me too sleepy- that never happened, maybe because I always used a very low dose of Xanax ( 1/2 of a .25 mgm tab). The doc added Buspar about mid August. She wanted me to take 15 mgm of the Buspar 2 x day-- I gave it a few weeks but I can't stand the weird feeling you get from Buspar for the first hour or so. I am now taking Buspar 7.5 mgm 2-3 times per day. It helps a little but I'm still struggeling with anxiety. I've had additional health problems crop up & am in a lot of pain, so I'm sure that's not helping matters.

I read somewhere that Remeron will pull you out of the deepest darkest depression- I'm not feeling that effect but maybe it's because I have so much to deal with right now. This is my first try at medication also so I know how you feel-- you just don't know what to expect. I was hoping to feel better than this & not have the creepy crawlies of the anxiety still driving me crazy.
What dose are you on ? Please keep us Remeron users posted. I'm not sure if I should be trying something else or not.....if this is as good as it gets, I'm not happy with it. You do need to give it more time though.

anxiousinnj

Old 10-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

anxiousinnj - do you take busapr with the xanax? I posted earlier this weekend about anyone who may be taking them both. My doctor wants me to stop the buspar and continue with xanax and add lexapro or paxil. If you do take both, has anyone ever told you you're not suppose to? I love the way the buspar and xanax work together and would like to stay on them without the SSRI. Thanks and sorry for hoarding in on this post!

Old 10-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

nuttygirl,

Right now I just take Remeron 22.5 mgm at night and Buspar 7.5 mgm 2-3 times per day.

I asked my doc if I could take Xanax if I really was jumping out of my skin & she said yes, but she would rather that I didn't. In other words only in a real panic emergency.
Like you, I would prefer to be on more for the anxiety & then I think I would not be depressed !

Have you taken both the Xanax & Buspar ? Together at the same time or different times during the day? What doses?
sorry for all the questions...I'm still trying to figure this all out.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
(female)

bmcm HB User
My dosage:

7.5mg/night for 4 nights, now 15mg/night for 4 nights, then 15mg in the morning and 15mg at night.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 AM   #8
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Please let me know how you feel when you get on the 15 mgm 2 x day. That's what my doc wanted me to take.

thanks

Old 10-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
(female)

LemonSupreme HB User

3 days now for me on this drug and I notice an improvement. I am taking a low dose of Xanax XR also for the first few weeks. I haven't had any anxiety since starting this med 3 days ago.

Closed Thread