It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
(male)

SirPhish HB User
Question Does anyone feel like they're on a boat

Boat rocking sensation that lasts for a few seconds, like they're swaying like a tree, feel like the floor or walls move?

Is this anxiety related...

I'm also taking 10mg lexapro, not sure if anyone else has had or felt this before. I keep thinking it's something worse like hypogylcemia even though I just had an episode 10 minutes ago and a coke a few seconds prior. But that's probably what's fueling it...

Old 10-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Re: Does anyone feel like they're on a boat

Oh yeah I must raise my hand on this one!
Here is what it is like for myself, I get a floating feeling, intense Falling to the side & backwards sensation, sinking to the ground feeling, a motion sensation as if I am swaying on a boat, and my favorite the good old dropping feeling you get on an elevator.. The "elevator sensation" When I am standing or sitting still I feel as if I am rocking or swaying side to side. Constant motion. sometimes it causes me to feel sea sick!
I also feel like my head is very heavy foggy and swimmy and some days just have trouble holding it up! All these sensations I experience on a daily basis mostly 24/7 The only time I don't feel this way is if I am laying down, it seems to subside then. I have gotten many eye rolls from the Doctor's I have seen in the past.. As if these feelings were being made up in my head.. These daily sensations have caused me more anxiety and intense panic attacks.. It seems as soon as I experience any one of these sensations my panic attacks kick in full force..
OKAY so now the big question "can anxiety really make me feel dizzy" The ANSWER is yes, Doctors have known for many years that psychological disorders, such as anxiety, can cause symptoms of dizziness and imbalance. This type of dizziness was given the nonspecific name of psychogenic dizziness. Here is what I have learned through my years of struggles with anxiety related dizziness, and believe me I research and research and ask my therapist to explain it over and over again..
What disorders are associated with psychogenic dizziness a question all of us on this board commonly ask, well the truth is Several studies point to a specific set of disorders that can cause symptoms of dizziness and imbalance. All these disorders are in the anxiety disorder family and include panic attacks, certain phobias, and chronic anxiety disorders.
What symptoms are the symptoms? How does your dizziness feel? Another question we all ask on this board, the answer is Psychogenic dizziness will present with a variety of symptoms including lightheadedness, feeling heavy headed, feeling a pressure sensation in the head, feeling far away or detached from the environment, feeling like they are going to fall, and sometimes even the feeling as if you are going to faint.
Can something else be causing my dizziness? Another question that floats around here as well. And the answer is yes, inner ear disorders are the most common reasons for dizziness, In fact inner ear problems that have completely resolved but the symptoms still persist, despite the resolution of the inner ear disorder can happen. In this case I was told and found VERY interesting is that it appears the inner ear disorder triggered an anxiety, panic, or phobic state. In this situation, the psychological disorder perpetuates the dizziness, despite the fact that the underlying inner ear disorder has resolved. How interesting is that!!! I couldn't believe that when I was told by my Doctor.
Well I never had a ear infection or disorder, so what else could it be? Another question that goes through our minds.. The answer is there are several physical disorders that can present with symptoms similar to those experienced with psychogenic dizziness. Some of these conditions included anemia, thyroid disorders, neurological disorders, cardiovascular disorders, hormonal disorders.. Just to name a few. But keep in mind these disorders present many other serious symptoms and NOT JUST dizziness. Anxiety Disorder can come out in us in so many ways not just dizziness, and I think it should be know that the mind is a powerful weapon and sometimes when we suffer from this condition we tend too become so sensitive to what we feel .... I know that's how it is for myself!!
Have you been check for inner ear problems? Or any other related illness to vertigo/dizziness? I have been suffering for many years like this so I know how you feel.. It can be very scary at times feeling like this! I hope this post helps, any thoughts or questions let me know! Boxerlover

Last edited by boxerlover227; 10-02-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

Boxlover
Are you on any meds? I never suffered this feeling........(whoozy, swaying.......and the elevator drops.........yea! exlpain that to a DR. ) Before ever taking an AD.......I still think it(med) does something in the brain......I am on day 3 of trying paxil AGAIN! and had this feeling several times today. UGH! I wish that there was a way to take these meds without side effects.......or get off them without long term issues.!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

I am not on any SSRI's which I think can cause alot of these feelings as well.
I didn't do good on the SSRI's it just increased my panic attacks, and I couldn't tolerate the side effects. I only take xanax when needed, which DOES relieve these feelings to a somewhat tolerable degree... Depending on the day I am having, and how much anxiety I feel. Did you have this feeling before you started the SSRI's and then it just increased after starting treatment? I know it's horriable, and keeps me from so many things I enjoy!!! If these feelings would subside my panic attacks would be that much less.. Hang in there Boxerlover

Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
(female)

molly666 HB User

hi sorry to hear you fel like that but let me asure you your not alone. Thats been the worst part for me the unbalanced feeling its horrible. I can be fine no anxiety or anything then this feeling comes over me and here we go again anxiety big time. I feel like im having to walk to 1 side ,unbalanced like im gonna fall over,thick headed,and like im in a time zone sort of thing an unreal sensation. So hang on in there cos your not alone although it feels like it when others around you seem so normal,its anxiety and its cruel but keep going till you find meds that suit you im still fighting now with my doc who i think looks upon me as a freak!!! But its your life thats being tormented with this not theres so keep at it .

Old 10-28-2006, 04:26 AM   #6
(female)

Nades HB User

Hi I get that sometimes and it is quite awful. I can be leaning against a wall and the wall will feel like it is moving or swaying in the breeze. It is horrible. So I do sympathise with you. I do find that lying down works well.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:54 AM   #7
(female)

Erica Kane HB User

Oh, yes! And let me tell you - there's a medical term for this "rocking boat" sensation. It's OSCOLOPSIA (hope I spelled that right).

The reason I'm so aware of it - when I had my first MS attack (before I knew it was MS), that rocking boat thing is what happened to me - felt like I was in the middle of a very rough ocean on boat with nothing to hang onto.

When I finally got to a neurologist and described my symptoms, he said, without missing a beat, "Yes, that's oscolopsia". Cool! Someone understood!

It's not the most common thing in the world, but it does happen, and when I'm extra anxious, it seems to kick in. If you're really concerned about it, do make an appointment with a neurologist - they will know what you're talking about.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #8
(female)

isalu HB User

Erica - is is related to having MS or anxiety related. I get this feeling MANY times each day. I have had tonz of testing done - bloodwork, MRIs, etc. and no one can come up with anything other than allergies and blocked eustachian tubes that could be causing this. I don't have any other symptoms other than this - wondering if it could be something more than anxiety...it's been going on for 1.5 years - never gotten worse or better. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
(male)

Frank79 HB User

I am heading into the doctor's office tomorrow for another at-bat on this same issue. I too have been run through the mill of testing, and have come up with everything normal. I hop they find something soon......its becoming hard to enjoy my everyday lide and even work!!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am just wondering if any of you guys have daily headaches also and any TMJ problems... I am a suffer of this beast as well and I know anxiety can cause these vertigo feelings, as noted in my previous response to this post. But I can't help but wonder if my daily headaches and night time jaw clenching is the root to this problem.. are there any others who feel this boat/motion/heavy head /swaying/falling sensation and have daily headaches or tmj problems? Thanks Boxerlover

Old 11-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
(male)

jasperj HB User

Yes, yes! I have exactly what is being described here AND I've often wondered if it is related to night time clenching as well. I've been using a mouth piece at night for a couple nights now in the hopes it will relieve some of the symptoms. I've had the dizzy/foggy/unreal/unbalanced feelings on and off for years, and like others here have been through all sorts of tests, all of which have turned up nothing, leaving anxiety as the only cause. 4 weeks ago I started taking medication for the furst time after 10 years of on/off anxiety episodes that typically last several months, even years, at a time. I decided to try Buspar and it has not really helped me, I still haev panic attacks, and in addition have really bad headaches, as well as the fog which I was hoping would clear up. I'm about to switch to Lexapro in the hope that it will relieve these unbearable symptoms of anxiety. Feeling like crap everyday for months on end has led me to feel pretty unhappy (not fully depressed, but not happy). I don't think my rant here will be much use other than to be yet another voice that is sharing in this burden. I wish everyone the best in their journey for a cure.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
(male)

lancey14 HB User

Hi I too get a similar feeling of foggy/heavy/light head which can make me feel as if I may fall over on times but this only lasts a second or so as if my head has switched off then back to the fog. I also have an almost permanent pressure/pain in my head. The symptoms are definitely worse with movement of my head, and lying down usually means The symptoms disappear especially after a few minutes. I sometimes get the falling feeling described by Boxerlover but this usually happens as I am falling off to sleep and wakes me very abruptly, I also seem to wake sometimes gasping for a deep breath not sure if this is anxiety though. The last thought is I have recently been getting really bad pressure in my head for about five seconds every time i get up from a sitting position or climb stairs etc does anybody else feel this symptom.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User

Hi all, I have lived with this 24/7 boat feeling, falling to one side, and yes, elevator going down,have trouble walking--at times. for over 3 yrs now. Mine did start as BPPV--an inner ear disorder. I have tried the SSRI's but due to side effects can not take them. I was tried on Xanax and it does help. But the docs don't seem to care that the .25 helps--they are all saying its addictive and thats the end of it. Have been posting over in the inner ear disorder board for years. Can someone, please tell me HOW do I get a doc to understand that the relief I get from that little dose is MUCH needed... With me, the inner ear problem started the anxiety problem.Your brain knows the ground,floor,chair, bed, etc is not moving BUT your body is telling you--it is. It is indeed very awful to face this every waking moment.Thanks, Belle

Old 11-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #14
(male)

bucks85 HB User

what kind of doctors have you been to realbelle? Do you know if its gonna be like that forever? I've had a couple ear infections and sinus infections in the past month and i deal with it every single day as well.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User

Hi Buck, well, I have been to my Gp and then a cardiologist, a ENT and back with the regular GP, also to the mental health center--where i saw psycharisit(sp) and a therapist. According to the books--its only suppose to last a year. The new research is showing an average of 2 years. In the real world, there are more people just like me and the docs just give up.There are also, lots of different inner ear dysfunctions--some only lasting a few weeks. The post of boxerlover227, sounded identical to me, except mine did start with me waking up, in April 03, with the room spinning. Thank God, I no longer have the room spinning but I was left with this constant movement. My body doesn't actually move--it just feels like I am swaying,rocking,bobbing. It doesn't matter what I am doing--thats how I feel. Blurred vision,headaches, neck tension,very unbalanced to name a few. Its VERY hard for anyone that hasn't experienced this to understand. I hope you can find some relief of this. If you do, please share what it is. Have not been able to work because of this. The stress of just living isn't helping!! I do, however, have very strong belief in God and stay in prayer. I still have hope. Prayers, Belle

Closed Thread