It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

gardeningartist HB User
Lightbulb Thanks, magnesium & calcium

I am fairly new to anxiety. I've had it in the past but nothing like what I have been reading here.

I have been trying to get my hypothyroidism under control since early this year. The past 6 weeks the anxiety has become constant. The only way that I can describe it is, it was as if someone would walk up behind me a say Boo every 3-4 min. all day long. A constant & repeating adrenal rush that had me ready to jump out of a 2nd story window.

I gave up & saw my Dr. last Thurs & he gave me Lexapro 10mg. I started it Thurs so that by yesterday I had only been on it 4 days. I spent all day on this board reading everything that I could find about Adrenalin & Lexapro

I ran across some posts about Magnesium, calcium & Adrenals. Knowing that Adrenal issues play a big part into Hypothyroidism I went to the kitchen took some Mag & calcium around 11:00 AM & within an hour the adrenal rushes stopped. I took it again last night & around 11:00 today & have had the most peaceful day that I have had in a couple of months.

A question. Could the Lexapro have kicked in this quick? Is this a placebo effect? I have learned so much reading this board, I just have to say, I truly hope that everyone of you can soon find some peace.

Last edited by gardeningartist; 10-02-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Re: Thanks, magnesium & calcium

I have also researched magnesium and the great effect it has on calming anxiety. I alo read though that it is better to try and get your magnesium from foods as it absorbs better. Foods high in magnesium include All bran cereal and other whole grain cereals and oatmeal, whole grains, green leafy veggies, almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, beans, soybeans, peanut butter, avocado.....there's a lot. The recommended dose is between 320 and 400 I believe. If you google magnesium rich foods you'll get a ton of info! I'm not anti-supplement, just something I found during research. Oh, something else I found out from Dr. Oz(google him he's wonderful) is that lycopene and taking 2 baby asprin a day will keep you protected from cancer and heart problems! He recommends using tomato sauce over whole tomatoes as 10 TBSP of tomato sauce equals over 100 tomatoes plus the heating process actually ups the lycopene! For those of us health anxiety sufferers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Re: Thanks, magnesium & calcium

I am not on Lexapro but my mother-in-law is and it took her about a week of taking it until she noticed she was feeling better. I think you probably felt better because of the calcium and magnesium only because of what I've read here. I'm planning on starting it, too. I get bad PMS and calcium and magnesium are supposed to be good for that. I'm glad to know you are feeling better!

Closed Thread