It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Anyone try Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing

Just wonder if anyone has tried Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) for therapy. Ive been researching on line but thought I would ask all of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
(female)

deenie HB User
A friend of mine did it

with great results. She had a scary experience with a peeping tom which resulted in a lot of anxiety. She said it helped her. I don't know much more about it but I guess it has its place...GL! Sorry I don't have more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dollymadison HB User
Re: Anyone try Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing

Despite my skepticism (you have to admit that it sounds weird!), I do feel that I got some benefit from it.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

There's a therapist in my town that does it and she gaurantees it will give you some relief or you don't pay! It isn't covered by my insurance and it takes 6 weeks of visits at 150 a pop but I'm considering it.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

Reyne HB User

My girlfriend swears by it!!

I am sure it is like most things it works for some but not for others!!!???

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-03-2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Read all of the "Sticky" posts at the top of this board as to why parts of your post were removed. Ms_Mod

Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I have done EMDR for both trauma and anxiety. It worked extraordinarily well for the trauma I went through from the emotional/verbal abuse my father gave me. However, it didn't help with my anxiety/OCD at all. I really don't think it's meant to. It is more of a trauma-related thing. It may work for some anxiety cases, but PTSD is the anxiety disorder that is most helped by EMDR. (I didn't have PTSD, though.) If you're looking to stop ruminating over a traumatic incident, I'd highly recommend it.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

I did it about 8 years ago, paid a pretty penny for it from a reputable psychologist. It did absolutely nothing for me. I think I felt a bit better after the first session, but then nothing at all during subsequent sessions. I even had a difficult time during the actual process. He'd say "how do you feel now" and I'd think "I feel like I want to get a refund and leave."

Closed Thread